TLZone Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got it apart this morning and this is what I saw.

Needless to say, my work was cut-out for me. I also noticed that the seal retainer tab was not seated between the stator cover and the engine case as it is supposed to be and in turn, looked like this.

I managed to bend it back into position so that it would fit properly. I have to wonder if this contributed to the problem?

In order to avoid additional pushrod seal changes, I decided to try the "Pen Tube Mod". Can you say EASY? Literally, take an old pen and take out all of the internals saving only the outer tube itself. I believe I cut it down to ~14mm. Then, go to Home Depot and get these springs.

Take one spring and "screw" it over one one of the pen tube. This will also allow you to "adjust" how much spring extends past the tube. Yours should look something like this.

Slide the "aperatus" over the pushrod with the spring end towards the actuator, like so.

Replace the actuator as normal and you should be good to go:thumbup

·
Registered
291 Posts
Glad you got it cleaned up.

When I did mine last year, I used a sturdy hose cut down to fit with a small spring like yours. I liked the hose because it was not only tight on the pushrod but it was soft enough that I didn't think it would harm the seal while it placed pressure against it. My spring also ran to the end of the complete outside of the pushrod. It also was thin enough that I had it between the hose and the actuator.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Excuse the ingnorance, but what on earth does this pen/spring contraption actually DO for ya? :O

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
it keeps all the dirt and shit off the pushrod, helping the seal to last longer

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
much better :thumbup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.