TLZone Forums banner

Tyres - Sizes - stated & actual

721 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ryboy3 
#1 ·
Lets have some info based on hard facts ....... A lot has been made of 180/55 or 190/55 making the bike steer better, and a lot of nonsense has been talked about different tyres benefits, etc., and I have always maintained that the stated size is not the be-all and end-all, as different manufacturers supply tyres in sizes different to that on the side-wall ..... so lets get some hard dimensional facts ......

I have a 190/50 Diablo Corsa on at present, the overall width of the tyre across the sidewalls is 189mm and the rolling circumference (after approx. 600 miles road use) is 1980mm

So, what sizes are your tyres :O measure across the sidewalls and around the circumference in the centre of the tyre.

I am betting that not all tyres are made equal :devious

#2 ·
Bump, and error correction - the overall circumference of the Pirelli should have read 1948mm

#4 ·
Dunno about measurements, but I ran 180/55 on the rear of my fist TL 8 years back and decided to run the stock 190/50's on my new one, and I can tell you that for what I do I noticed no differcence in handling. I did like the wideness which seemed to be overly nocable on the 55 though. I dont run at the track but I run the backroads that I have been riding for 15+ years hard enough for most to meet me at the next bar versus keeping up. ? shrug..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.