TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there ever been a passenger on the back of a AMA Superbike spec GSXR1000? How about being on the back of that bike with a current AMA Superstock/Superbike racer at the controls while riding at speed on a racetrack? I know Randy Mamola did this for some members of the press & dignitaries on the back of a specially prepped Ducati at some MotoGP rounds. Just wondering if anyone has experienced that or is considering possibly doing it at some point.

Why?

Because during a Thanksgiving weekend track day event at the Cali Speedway Chris Ulrich will be doing just that. And it is for a good cause, proceeds contributed help out racers that get injured at the track as the all the money raised goes to the Roadracing World Action Fund. Forget those silly amusement park rides, head out to a track & hang on to the back of a superbike while navigating through the AMA course configuration at the Cali Speedway. The bike has a reinforced subframe, a rear seat & passenger footpegs mounted to facilitate this. We did this last year & the reactions of the people who participated in this event was great. The look of intense fear, excitement, adrenaline & pleasure all rolled into one expression was what I saw when I helped passengers get off the back of that GSXR! Some people I had to almost peel off the back of the bike as a few were just a little petrified!

:scared

Here is the copy & paste of the press release:

Fastrack Riders is staging the third annual Silent Auction
during their November 25th and 26th event at California
Speedway on the AMA Track. The past two auctions raised
over $5,000 each year with the goal in 2006 to raise more
than $10,000 with all proceeds going to the RoadRacing World Action Fund.

Chris Ulrich will be there with support from the RoadRacing
World and Fastrack Riders staff on the RoadRacing World Two Up Superbike. Helmets, leathers, boots, and gloves are
available so anyone can participate. The cost is $25.00 for
two laps and $10.00 for each additional lap or anything
above those amounts a participant wishes to contribute.
Chris will be there both days and will be set up on the hot
pit lane. All participants must sign both a California
Speedway and RoadRacing World waiver form. This ride is
better than anything any amusement park has to offer as
quite often Chris will drag a knee with the passenger on the
back of the bike!

People interested in making a cash donation can go on line
to
http://www.fastrackriders.com and click on the registration page. They can contribute as little as $10.00 with increments up to $500. Multiple donations can be made in a given amount category if desired. For check donations
Make checks payable to:<x-tab> </x-tab>Road Racing World Action Fund

Mail to:
Fastrack Riders
P.O. BOX 250
Rancho Cucamonga CA 91729

:bwtiller

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Sounds like fun. I know folks who've taken the Starmotorcycle school and opted for the pillion ride with Jason Pridmore say that it's the scariest thing you'll ever do and you shouldn't pass it up if given the opportunity. My buddy said that roller coasters are for sissies.

He stated that his buddy is an amature racer and whoops his ass all the time. He said the look on his buddy's face as Pridmore came by him two up was nearly as good as the look on his own face on the back. Pridmore took him for an "Easy" lap. If you give him the thumbup on the straight then he takes you for the "Fast" lap. :eek

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
that would be sweeeet... :hail

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would love to do this. I remember watching the 2-up Ducati before the MotoGP rounds and almost crapping my pants. I can't remember who it was, but one of the AMA guys rode on it and was almost dragging his knee on the back:eek:mg He was picking up the front tire out of every corner and ended with a big endo:hail

EDIT: found this video of him taking Michael Schumacherfor a ride. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVL_c_pi1P8

·
14,150 Posts
They should get Hayden to take the Nascar guys for a lap or two of Laguna Seca!

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
I rode bitch on a GSXR750 piloted by Jason Pridmore during one of his STAR schools. It was the best E ticket ride ever and very informative. It was amazing how smooth he was and we hauled ass, passing other riders on the track in the A Group. We drifted through corners with tires sliding and I saw the tach hit 14,000 rpm down the straight, rapid fire and eerily smooth shifts and control inputs all the way. :hail

I think he only charged $20, with all proceeds going to charity for injured racers.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump!

For you So. Cali members - this is happening this Saturday & Sunday, November 25th & 26th. Forget power shopping! Grab your full leathers, jump on your bike & head on out to the Cali Speedway. If you don't have full leathers we will loan you a set for the 2-up rides...

:)

I will try to take a few pictures of those passengers we will have to peel off the back of that GSXR1000 Superbike. Post them up Tuesday or Wednesday.

·
14,150 Posts
DUDE! You need to get a helmet cam on a passenger and post up the vid, screams and all! :laugh

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, what time?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
All day! Think that the 2-up rides start in the late AM (after 10AM) & will go all day long both Saturday & Sunday. Come on out & hang out on the pregrid & take a look, then go out for a high speed run. Pretty intense stuff when Chris gets his knee down in the infield with passengers on the back & gets way up high on the banking doing around 160 mph. Funny thing when you get up high on the banking you can hear the metal fence posts that hold the chain link fence up reverberate when you pass them! That's even if you have earplugs on - you can hear them go "thub, thub, thub, thub, thub" in rapid succession as you fly by them. Forget those cheesy rollercoaster rides where if you are doing 60 mph in a turn you are on a "faster" one. No admission fees at the front gate either & you can freely park in the pits & cruise around...

Check out this link for a close up photo of a 2-up ride from last year's benefit: http://www.roadracingworld.com/enlarge/?section=newsℑ=789

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a link to the how that 2-up stuff worked out. I figured the RRW guys would be able to take enough pictures of that & do it through the corners which would look a lot better than a hot pit picture.

First link is how many passengers were taken out for a spin over the weekend: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=27681

Second link is a shot of Chris getting down in the infield turns. FWIW - Chris got in front of me during one of my sessions out there & he was going very well through the turns with the passenger in back. I might have been able to get him around the outside in one turn (between T5/T6, the double apex sweeper) but it wouldn't have been a clean pass so I took it easy & I let him lead me for several turns before he peeled it into the pits. He definitely humbled some track day riders out there. I heard the gsxr1000 had a superbike spec engine in it & it definitely moved.
http://www.roadracingworld.com/enlarge/?section=newsℑ=805

Saw member tls/r out there but that was it for members here. Jake wasn't quite into going out on the back of a bike & hauling a$$ & I don't blame him.

:)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah,
Imagine riding hard behind him on an 01' GSXR1000 & him running well enough in the turns to stay in front of you! When there was a little straight that built late model GSXR superbike could easily stay in front of me! Yikes.

Notice that passenger in that picture you posted? That guy weighed in the 230-250 pound range as he is wearing the largest set of rental leathers we carry. The Cali Speedway has one very serious braking zone. Going down the back straight you can get up to the 130 to 140 mph if you are going fairly well. Then you have to get it down to around 20 mph for the right/left/right chicane. I can't fathom having a guy that big sitting behind me braking into that section for a few laps! Think my forearms would just explode.

FWIW - a FOX news correspondant who happens to ride decided to drop by to see what track days are all about. Yeah, he had his press credentials hanging in one of those ticket holder things. I showed him that 2-up ride deal & asked him if he really wanted to see what it was like. He decided to try it out. His response after he got off were, "I just can't believe this stuff!" "That is so insane I have no idea how to describe what that was like & put it into words; to be able to describe the experience & convey how intense it was. And I'm a journalist!"

Nice.

·
14,150 Posts
Also imagine that he's probably holding back on that motor on the straightaways. We know how much more wheelie prone bikes are with a pillion on board. :coocoo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts