TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Tuesday this week my TL went for its mot. First time I've ridden it, first time its been ridden since being laid up in 2010. Total joy and surprise, passed first time with no advisories! (ok I had to borrow a nyloc nut to fit the gear lever back on as it vibrated itself off en route to the test station)
Two days of hooning around and then....... dead. Parked up for a for a fag and no battery power when I tried to start up again.
Got a lift home with bike and only 9.5v at the battery. Charged overnight and all is well. Spins up and starts beautifully but not charging at all. no change in volts at battery when running, revving or stood.

Pointers? what to check and where? likely to be genie or reg/rec or crappy wiring or all three?

Oh, and I love my bike! only owes me about £800 all in and costs a ridiculously low £100 a year to insure. Very happy, just need to sort the teething troubles you tend to get after buying a few boxes of bits and sticking together on a shoe-string budget.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Downloaded the service manual today too. Will get onto the diagnostics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sounds like a candidate for the charging mod.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've run through the diagnostics as per the above thread.
Ign off 13.0v
Ign on, headlights on 12.15v
Engine idling 12.3v
Revving at 5000rpm 12.5v

no signs of melting/overheating on the wires or connectors, some corrosion in the block connectors.
"cold" resistance check of the R/R checks out, similar resistance on all pins
Resistance check on the stator checks out.
AC volts check on the stator checks out.

Could the lack of charging really just be down to needing the charging mod?

Will try and get an inline fuse holder and some deecnt wire etc to do the mod.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Not having the mod should not affect its basic ability to charge the battery. If the R/R is not supplying a decent output then check/clean all the connections and if still nothing then replace.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone got a reasonably priced source for a R/R? Cant afford £65 for n R1 one off ebay.

·
Registered
197 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts