TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to do a bit of tinkering out in the shud today, and things went well:) ... to start with:uhoh .

First job, the fan switch mod, no problem at all.

Second job, remove the sheared off bar end bolts from the clipons. One of my favourite tasks as it makes you feel so damn smug when you fix it for free!!! The previous owner had recently fitted heatead handlebar grips, and it seems as though the bar ends didn't want to play ball. The bolts had sheared off flush with the end of the bars, so after removing them,(to avoid frying the ECU), I TIG welded a piece of bar to the remains of the bolts, and out they came. Done this loads of times on various thing now.

Third job, remove the biggest carbon look tank protector known to mankind. Oh dear, maybe i should have left it:banghead . The 'thing' was huge, and it annoyed me because it was only stuck down at the edges, the middle of it was 'mobile'. After removing it, I discovered that it had been fitted with a mixture of the standard adhesive, with added double sided sticky tape and a dash of clear silicone for good measure. Unfortunately, underneath the said carbuncle, the paint had bubbled upquite badly, further investigation with a tungsten revealed a dreaded tin worm infestation. It seems as though it's not rotting from the inside out as the area is completely dry, so i can only assume that it's down to the shonky fitting tank pad, and that maybe there was moisture trapped beneath it.
So now I'm in the market for another equally huge tank pad so I can deal with the rust and not have to have a respray, anyone know where I can get a large one?!?!.:eek

Dan

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
They are horrid arn't they Dan

Keep an eye out on ebay for a new tank, you can pick them up cheap, as long as you have the paint code, respraying shouldn't be too dear.
Have you looked on Ebay

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
ive got a brandnew green tls tank,that got v.light damage(bent the front mount up on one side) thanks to parcelFARCE.
£30+£15 delivery if ya interested buddy:)

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
i've got a tank protector from geelong carbon craft. they're not cheap but their products are second to none.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just ordered a geelong tank protector. Decided that as my bike is datatagged and I don't have the paint code that the large tank protector was the best solution for now.
Also decided to go for some magic mushrooms, (why ride when you can fly?:bounce ) anyone got an opinion on whether the higher or lower mounted ones are best? What about spndle ones, anyone fitted/crash tested any?
Thinking about making some Ti sliders for my cans too, seems I'm getting obsessed about crashing!:coocoo
Dan

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
if you find johnnie's crash thread then you can see how well his worked. mine are the same design and i got them from ziggy999. daveC had them for his crash and they worked well too. i see a pattern forming here....

if you look hard at my sig you'll see the small sliders i've got on the axles. i've got no idea how well these work and i dont want to test them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts