TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thousand miles that is:D

The TL has enjoyed 1100 mile days, rides in the snow, lots of commuting, dyno days etc:banana

:cheers to another 50k

:hail TLS

Here's some random pics for good measure:)

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
:cheers to another 50k

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Congrats. (I was thinking, wait, BP's not that old....)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:lol I'm 24 - have 50k miles on the TL (I put on 49k of those), 30k on the VF500 (I put on 25k of those) and :O how many on dirt bikes:banana

I burned ~100gal of fuel in 3 weeks on my KX250 a few years ago - lots of this kind of stuff

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I just turned 40... thousand on my bike. :) Good to know she is good for another 10k easy. :thumbup Way to go on all the riding. I dig the pic of the bike in the snow... cant say mine has been snowed ON, but I have Ridden it Through the snow.. got caught in about 4 in of fresh on a mountain pass a couple years back.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I snapped that snowy pic right after pulling into the driveway - the bike was clean when I left my office an hour and a half before....

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I knew you'd get to 50 before me dammit! Though, mine's been in pieces for the last 2 months :-(

damn kids!

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Mine's in pieces too all over by now I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Wow! I think you got your money out of her :cheers

·
Registered
724 Posts
Mine's fixing to roll over 90k. And I successfully drove for over 3 miles a few weeks ago without oil after my suicidal dog attack. There was less than a half quart when I drained the sump and replaced the cooler. 500 miles since and no knock or shavings in the oil.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awsome:hail

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
764 Posts
Congrats! Hope you get another safe 50k out of her.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
:thumbup Based on my mileage since moving back to the midwest I might get there in another 15 - 20 years :rant

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
happy 50th....

:cheers

:hail maintenance

·
Registered
623 Posts
Great to see that kind of mileage from the tl, have 54,000 miles on my 98 tls and still can't believe it. How many other sporbikes has anyone seen with this kind of rock like longevity?

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Congarts Bikepilot ... I'm following you close to 6oK kikometers and going up:)

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Very nice!! Short riding seasons and young kids mean it's going to be a loooong time before my bike sees that kind of mileage.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Great to see that kind of mileage from the tl, have 54,000 miles on my 98 tls and still can't believe it. How many other sporbikes has anyone seen with this kind of rock like longevity?
Sport bikes are like tootsie pops. How many licks before you get to the center? Crunch. The world may never know. Substitute miles for licks. Crunch. The world may never know. :banghead The 50K milestone (sorry for the bad pun) is really a complement to the rider.

Any modern Japanese engine will easily do these miles. My '87 Kaw 750 had 75K miles on it and I ran 11.4 at 124 mph at the drag strip with it a few months before I sold it. It was definitely making full power. A guy I used to ride with had an original CBR900, it had over 300K miles on it by 2003. Evidently he rode it day and night, to work, on weekends, all the time. His bike was featured in Sport Rider. It had so many miles on it he had to change out his wheel bearings a few times. He ran Castrol GTX 10/40 auto oil in it, changed every 3,000 miles, which was probably every 3 weeks for him :laugh

From what I see on the board, the TL's major catastrophic weakness tends to be spinning main bearings. Your mileage may vary (God, another bad pun) but the odds are in your favor that your TL motor will last a long time if you keep clean oil in it, avoid long wheelies (the biggest TL killer) and don't spend too much time crowding the redline.

Regarding the redline part, N2Wheelies drag raced his TLS all the time and it still lasted until over 60K miles and even then, it's failure was an output shaft bearing (behind the countershaft sprocket) a non RPM related failure, and he posted photos of his immaculate crank bearings. Tough engine indeed. Contrary to his name, John "N2Wheelies" does not do that many wheelies on his TLS. Better drag strip times with the front end down and all ya know :lol John is meticulous with his maintenance which helped his bike last under hard use too no doubt.

My new bike is an FZ-1. I have every expectation that it can go 100K miles no problem, and that it will last longer than I care to ride it. Knock on wood, I keep her upright so I can find out :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts