TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone's planning on going considering it's the centenary?

Me n Iain are considering it and a member of Raptorchapter is checking out a campsite for us as he has moved over there :)

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
the only thing that puts me off is the horror stories i hear about how the bikes are treated on the ferry...

can anyone comment on this?... tuckshop?.. pookus?..

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tinyUK said:
the only thing that puts me off is the horror stories i hear about how the bikes are treated on the ferry...

can anyone comment on this?... tuckshop?.. pookus?..
Hadn't heard this, tell me more.........

If anyone damaged my ickle rappie then I'd:rant and I'd:kicknuts and i'd:bitchslap and I'd:bash and I'd:fire

get my meaning :laugh

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
i have heard that the guys on the ferry just throw tie downs over the bikes and go for it... no care taken about where the straps go or if they rub paint off or scratch anything.. :dowhat

i could be wrong here but i am only going by what i was told by a mate of mine that stopped going for this very reason..

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Black No.1 said:
If anyone damaged my ickle rappie then I'd:rant and I'd:kicknuts and i'd:bitchslap and I'd:bash and I'd:fire
then you would get hubby to :fart and really finish them off

:laugh

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tinyUK said:
i have heard that the guys on the ferry just throw tie downs over the bikes and go for it... no care taken about where the straps go or if they rub paint off or scratch anything.. :dowhat

i could be wrong here but i am only going by what i was told by a mate of mine that stopped going for this very reason..
I think if we did go there would have to be a few choice words about how it was done otherwise thay would suffer the wrath of 'The Deb'. :yes

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
as i have heard it..........................

The problem is 40,000 to 50,000 motorcyclists all wanting to get on the island for the races in about 7 days prior to race fortnight. The steam packet company have a hell of a time coping, Some of the things the steam packet have done to motorcyclists over the years are unbelievable, but we are as they say ‘a captive audience’- it’s the only way to get to the i.o.m with a bike. They have no competition so its ‘pay up’ 'put up' 'shut up' or don’t go!!

not my words... but you see why i am a little bit reluctant to go...

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definately see. Think we'll probably rethink this one.

Thanks for the warning :)

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
hey babe dont change your plans because of what i said.. i have never been so i really dont know.. :O

need some input from someone that has actually been in the last couple of years like Ted and pookus... things might have changed or might not have ever actually been as bad :yes

:thumbup

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
;) :thumbup

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
C'mon peeps. What's the ferries like then?

:eatcorn

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Its years since I went but 3 of us took a van with the bikes in the back. If I recall, it was cheaper on the ferry plus they can't damage your bike and you can take as much camping gear as you want. Other bonuses are you avoid a long boring motorway journey on the bike, save on fuel and can get pissed on the way there (driver gets the short straw of course). Also you've got somewhere secure to leave stuff rather than in a tent. :)
Before you ask, no I don't work for the van marketing board. :laugh

·
Registered
179 Posts
I went last year and yes they were a little hurried in tying the bikes down, no surprise really, but they did not actually damage anything and I was happy with the way my bike was secured.

Nothing stopping you taking a suitable strap (rachet would be best) and a bit of rag and tying it down yourself (at least I assume there is nothing stopping you doing that!)

But yes, they have a captive audience so do tend to be pretty uncaring about their customers.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
timr said:
Its years since I went but 3 of us took a van with the bikes in the back. If I recall, it was cheaper on the ferry plus they can't damage your bike and you can take as much camping gear as you want. Other bonuses are you avoid a long boring motorway journey on the bike, save on fuel and can get pissed on the way there (driver gets the short straw of course). Also you've got somewhere secure to leave stuff rather than in a tent. :)
Before you ask, no I don't work for the van marketing board. :laugh
The good thing for us is we only live about 20mins from Liverpool so I don't think I'd mind just going on the bike but as for the secure side of things a van would be ideal :)

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
tlsgreen said:
Flashback for a moment there its like my ex menstralating.......

your doing us guys no favours Si.... now they think we cant even spell it let alone understand it!.. (its menstruating by the way)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
tinyUK said:

your doing us guys no favours Si.... now they think we cant even spell it let alone understand it!.. (its menstruating by the way)

Spelling it was the last thing on my mind trying to dodge sniper fire from her trap!!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tinyUK said:

:laugh :laugh

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I usually go every year, although ive not taken my bike for the last couple:banghead Never had any damage to my bikes but i always make sure there is a thick rag where the rope goes across. Now for the bad news, it's fully booked up:rant you may be lucky but you will have to go early practice week. Foot passangers are still ok but for some reason they won't realise the prices till xmas. A £10 deposite/non refundable is required asap to pre book, i bet they will increase the normal amount alot due to it being the centenery year:O I may fly there again next year, only £64 return, but i bet the airlines will take advantage aswell:banghead

1 - 20 of 48 Posts