TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FinePix A700 7.3 MegaPixel digital camera. 2.4-in. LCD. 3x optical zoom
OR

PowerShot A540 6.0 MegaPixel Digital Camera. 2.5-in. LCD, 4x optical 4x digital zoom lens. Movie mode with sound

I think I'll choose one of those

anybody have any reason to choose one over the other?

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...get the largest optical zoom you can find, the true lense is what makes a good picture...

I have a canon S2 (12x optical zoom) that is fantastic for a point and shoot camera - the S3 isn't too much different so I'd either pick up the S2 for less or wait until the S4 comes out...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i read good reviews on the canon of course..the FUJI actually is the first lower cost model with the HIGH end pro CCD. Excellent pics shouldn't be a problem with either i figure.
this is based off READING online

that 7.3 megapixel will allow for plenty of zoom After the pic has been taken(on ur puter).
I've been seeing the optical zoom drop on all models after the Megapixels went up.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
I just got the A540 and have no problems with it. It has everything I wanted: decent optical zoom, pretty small and uses AA batteries.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the little woman one for Christmas, so this thread is great!
Keep the info comming

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
I bought my wife the Canon SD600 and she loves it. It is tiny and has about the same specs as the A540, but uses a Canon battery. I didn't want that since I already have rechargable AAs I can use.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...AA batteries are a major plus as the canon specific batteries are expensive (unless you can get to Korea:devious)...

Go for the higher optical lense vs higher megapixels - the Aruba pics came out better on my Fugi 2.0 6x then my canon 4.0 3x by far two yrs ago...the S2 I just picked up is fantastic and you can also get lense adapters, etc...

·
Registered
11,001 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Canon for the bigger LCD & the better optical zoom, like Jeff said. Digital zoom is shit and 6.0Mpx is more than enough for 99.9% of people in the world :rolleyes

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don't know anything about either of those specific cameras but I just wanted to show you a couple of pictures that I took with my Fuji F601zoom which is only a 3mp camera. It's my second Fuji camera that I have bought and it takes really nice pictures. I just figured I'd give you a Fuji sample from a lower end camera.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
I have an Olympus SP500-UZ and I like it a lot. It has a good lens for the money and 6MP is enough. It also uses 4 AA batteries. Circuit City has them for $264 online. That is a steal.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/prod...m_ite=30180 DATAFEED_OLYMPUS&cm_keycode=60448

Cool trick with any recent Olympus digicam, you can increase or decrease the intensity of the flash with the left and right buttons :)

It takes outstanding macro shots too :hail

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I have an Olympus C8080 Wide Angle Zoom. I love it, it powers up to shoot fast and the battery lasts forever. I have 1.5 GB in it right now, it uses the little ones and the flash cards. Takes great photos, can be run in manual and fits in a TLS Seat hump :coocoo

It does nice pictures

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
I raise your fine macro shot with this picture I took of my neighbors, The Griswalds :laugh

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I call with a KTM in the Texas Sun.........

For the full 3264 X 2448 picture, click here if you dare :devious

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Here's a pic (completely unedited) from my 2.2Mpx Sony with the Karl Zeiss Vario-sonar lens ... the lens is more important than the number of pixels & a good CCD never hurt anyone.

All a big Mpx rating does is allow you to take bigger size photos, like 3264x2448 :laugh and the only people who really need that are people who are going to print at that size.

IIRC there's a digital camera review page that gets right down to the nitty-gritty of each camera ie. pixel color bleed, banding etc. EDIT : yup, here's the link - http://www.dpreview.com/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts