TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to really did this bike as a day-to-day alternative to the TLR. I dig the retro thing and it looks way more comfortable than an R. The question is: Has anyone got one? What are the pros and cons to it? I've been overseas a long time and when I go back to the states the R will get me in big trouble being as I'm used to cruising at 100mph+. I need something off the wall cool to ride when I'm not out getting in trouble on the R.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Haven't been on one, but they look way cool. I also dig the scrambler. IIRC the mag reviews said the thruxton's low bars put a bit of weight on the wrists so it might not be all that comfy - probably no worse than the TL though. The scrambler is more upright and probably more comfy....Both are super cool looking and would probably be a total blast to ride.

have fun

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
I have a wanting to pick one of those up. I did sit on one but didn't get to take it for a spin. The egro's are extremely aggressive and it also felt like a longer reach to the bars than the TL, I was quite surprised.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Just looked at the triumph website - the bonnie and scrambler both have high bars and look as though they'd be comfy:thumbup

·
Registered
276 Posts
My dad just sold his 60's bonne. Although not the same as the newer ones I think the riding position is similar. It was fairly comfortable but awfully scary, wrong side shifter, drum brakes, and it almost felt like a rigid.

I almost cried when he told me he sold it, so I've been looking at picking up the new bonne black.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still young enough so it doesn't need to be to comfy. Coming off the R almost anything is a couch. I went from my R to the S and was suprised at how much more you sit up on the S. I kinda prefer the more forward lean when riding, I don't feel comfortable sitting almost straight up and down. I've seen some cool mods for these too. I would probably go with some fresh suspension and a 17in wheel swap similar to those on the Ducati retro bikes. Maybe some pipes but no other real power adders. I think it would be a cool comuter and be under the RADAR when the law's around. Plus the used ones go for a decent price. I'm just trying to find a reason not to buy one. Is the maintenence all crazy like a Duc or is there some strange defect... Or are they good to go out of the box, just add gas.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
From all I've heard (a few folks on other sites I frequent have them) they are good to go out of the box. Nothing out of the ordianry for maintence etc. Just solid, simple bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Ah a thread after my own heart.
I too haven't been able to shake this bike lately. I don't own one, but I did get to ride one this summer.
First off, it's not comfortable in the least. If you're looking for comfort, look somewhere else.
Powerwise it's close to an SV 650. It rode well and made very nice noises for a parallel twin. It handled pretty well and there are a good amount of aftermarket goodies for them as well.
Very cool bike, but I still can't decide if I have to have one or not.
They seem well built and the maint is almost nothing as well
Oh and if you do get one, these pipes are a must!!! (at least as far as I"m concerned :))

G

·

Ive been thinking of trading my XR for one, or maybe the Tiller... :laugh

Whatever happens Im getting a new car first, then, who knows... :devious

BT, the scrambler has a really whimpy engine. But OK for commuting, maybe...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This one NO

This one YES!

Ive been thinking of trading my XR for one, or maybe the Tiller... :laugh

Whatever happens Im getting a new car first, then, who knows... :devious

BT, the scrambler has a really whimpy engine. But OK for commuting, maybe...

The second one looks nice, though I don't think my right leg would agree with it. I love these bikes, they have that same weird quality the TLs have. They're not fast and don't handle well when pushed (stock) but you love and care for them anyway:laugh

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
I love a lot of things about the new Triumph twins. They look nice and they are strong and simple. The thing that puts me off is 58 hp. Come on Triumph, you can do better than that! Wondering how responsive to mods they are :devious Gimme a 75 hp version that makes good noises and I am game :)

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
I love a lot of things about the new Triumph twins. They look nice and they are strong and simple. The thing that puts me off is 58 hp. Come on Triumph, you can do better than that! Wondering how responsive to mods they are :devious Gimme a 75 hp version that makes good noises and I am game :)
Yeah the TL felt like an absolute beast after riding the Triumph. The good thing being that they are in a fairly low state of tune stock and it shouldn't be too hard to get some extra juice out of one.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I was at a party over the weekend and the guy hosting it had a Thruxton in the garage. We huddled over it for about 30 mins drooling and talking about it. He quickly admitted it handled better than anything out there (far fecthed, but he was a Triumph boy) but it sucked for the long haul. He brought it out to Denver from LA and said it took him 3 days to do it 'cause it was so uncomfortable (he seemed a bit lady-like, but it wasn't all that comfy). If it wouldn't have been 25*F out I would have taken it for a spin.

My opinion, ok looks, STIFF suspension, good ergonomics for twisties, HORRIBLE ergo's for cruising, and it's british...:puke

G

·
The Thruxton has 69 hp stock, you know. :)

And, I got my BT1100 from 50 to 80 80 (on the wheel). So with some (...) cash a Thrux could prolly be close to 90. :)
I wouldnt guarantee durability, British bikes still has some way to go untill they have the firm quality reputation that the Japs has.

And, BTW. I migth get one, depending on what happens to the insurances now that we have gotten a new FUBAR goverment.
It might be impossible to justify owning a super sportsbike for the next few years...
:rant

·
5,503 Posts
The Thruxton has 69 hp stock
Recent cycle mag article here comparing the Thruxton to a Duc Sport 1000 had the Triumph putting out a wimpy 58 rear wheel hp and 40 ft. lbs of torque. The Duc managed 75 hp.

The same mag had a heavily modified 1,000cc example which made more like 100 hp though :)

G

·
10% loss from the numbers in the papers are sort of expectable.

But with all the regulations nowaday for new bikes, changing pipes and open upp the breathing makes for nice and "cheap" gain.
:)

·
5,503 Posts
But with all the regulations nowaday for new bikes, changing pipes and open upp the breathing makes for nice and "cheap" gain.
I am finding that with my new FZ-1. The bike is terribly choked up in stock form with two cat converters shoved up it's ass and a tiny sound deadening intake snorkle thing in the airbox. Gains of near 20hp all through the range from 6,000 rpm on are the norm with simple (if not cheap) airbox opening, FI re-mapping and exhaust mods.

As exciting as 150 hp is at peak, having 100hp in hand at 7K is what I am after. I am waiting on the Akra full system, but all the other mods are in place. Already I can feel it responding to them and coming alive, like a monster from it's slumber. :)

G

·

:drool :drool

A Thrux with 150 at the wheel would be fun :devious :laugh

(I wonder how hard it would be to turbo it...)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts