TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Massive thanks to everyone who chipped in on my build (and espeically Six5), I'm going for an MOT next week so I'm sure I'll have some teething problems but for now it's sort of complete

So I bought a bike blind and it had a known bad engine (TL1000S), I found a horror show of wiring and the bodywork was ratty. It was also modified for disabled use, it wasn't as nice as I had hoped to be honest

3.JPG 5.JPG


Getting the old engine out wasn't too bad although a few challenging bolts like the exhaust were fun
60.JPG 65.JPG

To switch to the TL1000R (thanks to a very kind local guy for a cracking deal) I needed to:

1. Change the inlet rubbers over (you need to keep TL1000S throttle bodies to fit in the frame)
2. Repin the plug for the gear position sensor (all loom was present already)
3. Use the stat housing off the S engine
4. Use the breather hoses off the S engine
5. Change the sprocket over (16 vs 17 teeth on the engines I had)
6. I had to extend the exhaust out and down, just welded in two sections near the front

69.JPG 70.JPG 86.JPG 94.JPG 104.JPG 95.JPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also modified the cooling system to use the water cooled oil cooler set up on the TL1000R rather than the seperate cooler on the S

107.JPG 109.JPG


I had a host of wiring issues not least of which were the randomly cut wires but also the starter relay and rectifier were both bad (common faults by the looks of things)

30.JPG 125.JPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The connector by the handlebars appears to be another known weak point, mine was no exception, all cleaned up and repinned a couple to get this going

113.JPG

Then into the good stuff, fork rebuild with new friction materials and seals etc.

118.JPG

New wheel bearings whilst there

122.JPG

Various skulls were removed!

87.JPG 88.JPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My clutch actuator only had two ball bearings left so this got renewed!

105.JPG

I decided both brakes should make the brake lights go so new pressure switch in the back line

110.JPG

Did my first stainless welding on a crack on the exhaust

124.JPG

New clock covers were fitted

140.JPG 141.JPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the frame and suspension got refreshes with new rose joints etc.

132.JPG 153.JPG

Fairings got cleaned, debadged, some rebadged, some painted

154.JPG 155.JPG 156.JPG 157.JPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New lights in various spots including DRLs, fancy sweeping indicators etc.

167.JPG

Front screen stickers were removed and changed to just Suzuki

165.JPG

And this is her as she sits today:

169.JPG
 

·
Moderator,
Joined
·
8,243 Posts
(y) Yep. Well done.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jseaman

·
Moderator,
Joined
·
8,243 Posts
That is a lot of tinkering. Glad it will be on the road soon. 😎
Indeed. I think he might have enen moved into puttering. :D
 
  • Like
Reactions: jseaman

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I converted it to 6 pot calipers too, forgot that. Last night I fitted a new clutch cover so today got it fully up to temperature for the first time, seems sweet. Just looking forward to riding it in a few days now!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top