TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I just finished painting my bike last week at home and now i wanted to put in a Power commander. I hear u guys talking about a TRE and was not sure if my bike had one installed where would i look to find this.

Also what kind of power commander should i get for my bike. It is a 1998 TL100R with K&N filters and has Yosh RS-3 cans on it.

Any Help would be great.

P.S. i will be posting up the pictures of my bike in the Pictures forum. Look for a black and blue marbalized TLR.

Thankyou
Rahul

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...if you're gonna spend $$ on a dyno tune, go with a PCIII, if you want plug and play - a PCII will be fine and cheaper...(mostly used units though)...

·
Registered
153 Posts
i run pc2 and tre mod but i have and i heard that running a k&n
in a standard airbox don't really do much do to not enough air
getting in so get the airbox mod done cos one thing it sounds
great when you open it out....:devious

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Don't bother with an active or semi active TREa as the bikes gear position indicatior is unreliable.
:confused As long as the neutral indicator works, a transistorised one will work - smart TRE / semi active. So there is no rpm change, starting is correct etc. It's a lot better than having a switch.

I had to ditch my ATRE, the Active TRE that would remap different gears to to different gears i.e 1-4 to 4th, 5th to 5th and 6th to 6th, or all to 5th, all to 6th etc because my Gear position sensor was faulty in 2nd & 3rd.

Because the semi auto ones I have on my site (relay or transistorised) look for neutral only, it doesn't matter what resistance readings come from the GPS they wont affect the operation.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Yup, I agree with you :hail you are right -as long as the N light works a relay or even a transistor TRE will work fine. I am just afraid the gear position switch will shit out cometely and run a N map even with the TRE. But you are right -as long as the N light is working its good. But a resistor TRE works no matter what :D

:confused As long as the neutral indicator works, a transistorised one will work - smart TRE / semi active. So there is no rpm change, starting is correct etc. It's a lot better than having a switch.

I had to ditch my ATRE, the Active TRE that would remap different gears to to different gears i.e 1-4 to 4th, 5th to 5th and 6th to 6th, or all to 5th, all to 6th etc because my Gear position sensor was faulty in 2nd & 3rd.

Because the semi auto ones I have on my site (relay or transistorised) look for neutral only, it doesn't matter what resistance readings come from the GPS they wont affect the operation.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
The PCII doesn't know or care what gear you're in. If you don't fit a TRE you'll end up running a different map in each gear. So if you set it up doing runs in 4th, a different map is being used in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th etc.

Although it's probably right to run richer in 6th than 1-4 :dunno But atleast with a TRE and PCII the same mapping is used in every gear.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have another question. After i do put the SATRE and PC II and do the Joe air box mod I will have to get the TLR remapped. But when i take it in to the dealer to remap, won't they remap to the original maps for the 1,2,3,4,5,6. So won't it mess up the mapping the SATRE is doing (which is making the ecu think the bike is always in 6th gear???).

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I have another question. After i do put the SATRE and PC II and do the Joe air box mod I will have to get the TLR remapped. But when i take it in to the dealer to remap, won't they remap to the original maps for the 1,2,3,4,5,6. So won't it mess up the mapping the SATRE is doing (which is making the ecu think the bike is always in 6th gear???).

Dealer really won't remap as far as I know. They may Dyno it for you if they have one. Don't let them touch your bike unless they have a dyno.

Throw on a TRE to correct ignition timing and run a PC to set the fuel mapping. Make sure they only map one gear.

That is how I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong so I don't continue to sound like an idiot :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
The TRE can't be re-"programmed" without changing a few components in the device. If they remap your ecu with a yosh box it won't affect the TRE, and if they map the PC2 it won't affect the TRE.

EDIT: But what I gather from Steve TLS is that taking the TRE off will affect the map. So after mapping with TRE don't take it off, otherwise it could cause a few small problems. I took my TRE off because I thought the PC could control that and then my bike started stalling at odd times and having a rough idle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts