TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,

I have done a bit a research on the first three gears on suzuki's where the Manufacturer has retarded the timing. I agree entirely. I find the throttle response and acceleration is just OFF and has dead spots. Anyway so I found an automatic TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator) and purchased it with great expectation from R-Rated parts (ebay). BUT before I fit and run I thought I had better ask others opinions. I mentioned it to a bike mech that I know and he warned me away from fitting it as he says it will limit the life of the big end??

Keep in mind I am not racing the bike and in fact am only new to the super bike scene so still have my training wheels on. My opinion is that any potential damage would be null and void with my current riding style, BUT I could be wrong. I just think the way the timing is as we speak is bloody dangerous...my carb'd HD is quicker off the mark....well kinda lol

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
A TRE will have no impact on the big end bearings. It merely bypasses the lawyer-induced retarded timing feature built into the ECM. Mine has been installed for the last 15 years, and honestly, it has been so long ago, that I don't recall if it made a huge difference, but it does allow the engine to pull as I would expect a 1000cc V-twin to pull when you get on the throttle.

Of course, everything does not hinge on the TRE. However, between the TRE, airbox and exhaust mods (to let the engine breathe), tuned fuel maps, and a quickened throttle tube, it is an enjoyable ride whenever I take it out. :bounce

And not nearly has heavy as an HD. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fitted the TRE this arvo...stoked! Made a huge difference and the bike is much more pleasant to ride and actually does what I want when I want. However I have noticed that my revs seem higher now at idle, like substantially. How do I adjust this?

And Six5 I have no idea how I lasted so long on the cruisers ha ha

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
.... However I have noticed that my revs seem higher now at idle, like substantially. How do I adjust this?
I'm glad the TRE is working for you, but I'm surprised it had any affect on the low rpm operation. In any case, the idle speed can be adjusted with the knurled knob mounted to the left frame rail - below the rail on a TLS, above the rail on a TLR. Be sure the "fast idle lever" is off before adjusting the idle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad the TRE is working for you, but I'm surprised it had any affect on the low rpm operation. In any case, the idle speed can be adjusted with the knurled knob mounted to the left frame rail - below the rail on a TLS, above the rail on a TLR. Be sure the "fast idle lever" is off before adjusting the idle.
G'day Six5,
I know the screw but what is this fast idle lever and where is it? I have tried adjusting the idle through the idle screw but zero happens.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
..... what is this fast idle lever and where is it? I have tried adjusting the idle through the idle screw but zero happens.
The fast idle lever is on the left handlebar - adjacent to the switch pod. From there a cable goes to the linkage on the right side of the front TB. It allows the slight opening of the throttle valves for easier cold starts.

The idle adjust screw has likely been disengaged from the threaded bracket. Sometimes it gets turned out too far.

See the diagram and instructions on pages 4-74 & 4-75 in the TLS manual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fast idle lever is on the left handlebar - adjacent to the switch pod. From there a cable goes to the linkage on the right side of the front TB. It allows the slight opening of the throttle valves for easier cold starts.

The idle adjust screw has likely been disengaged from the threaded bracket. Sometimes it gets turned out too far.

See the diagram and instructions on pages 4-74 & 4-75 in the TLS manual.
So a fast idle is the choke as we call it? An which manual? I have found a few online and haven't been sure which one to invest in. The Haynes one looks the goods?

·
Registered
4 Posts
WOW!! Thank you so much for the link
Greetings friend, Once you have adjusted the idle so the TL again ticks ove @ 2K rpm, switch off and disconect your TRE, take it for a quick spin and then reconnect, repeat the ride, so as to confirm the TREs' magical powers. Ha, ha. I'm sure the difference will be profound. My TRE was originally purchased from Suzuki for a DL1000 and once fitted to the 98TLsw simply worked a treat, in calming down what was once an unruly unpredictable and nasty performance, instead it became smooth, aggressive and intentional rather than self led and feral. This was an eye opener for me....
StevesTL site has been a great inspiration and source of insight in curing the issues around TLs performance and mods..
ps. try to get your knee down on a HD, not quite the same amount of fun as with a TL. Enjoy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts