TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to doing this and now I've hit a snag. I have jackstands under the pegs and weight is off the swingarm. The shock has only fallen about a half inch but not all the way under the mount. What do I need to do to get it under the mount fully so I can stick another shim in there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Doug and I did this exact thing to my bike last week.

-First we unscrewed the top nut that is holding the shock to the frame.
-Next, we unbolted the bottom of the shock from the mount (cushion lever) which allowed the swingarm to fall free.
-Then, simply straighten the shock and pull it straight down and out.
-Put shims on the top of the shock and run back through the frame.
-Leave the top nut semi/tight so that you have slack to realign the bolt that passes through the bottom of the shock and cushion liver.
-Torque everything up and off you go!

Top shock nut (through the frame) is 83lb-ft
Bottom shock bolt (through the cushion lever) is 36lb-ft

Good Luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I had a feeling the spring on a stick needed to come out when I looked at the bottom bolt and the lack of movement in the swingarm.

What shim did you end up using in the kit? I'm looking at the black 4mm shim but may use the blue. I think I'm still at the stock 6mm above the triples up front.

·
Registered
909 Posts
In all honesty I'd don't remember what colors we used. (I'd go look but my bike is across town in Tye's garage.) We shimmed a total of 5mm. My trackday got rained out on Sunday (again) so I'm not sure if it made a difference yet or not.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
We had the black one left over I believe the blue=3 mm and the red=2 mm

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with the red and blue shims as well. Since I had too much chain slack (that I've neglected for too long), it should work out. That's really the reason I bought the shims in the first place. As I was moving the wheel back, I was losing rear ride height and no surprise, the bike handled like crap.

I'm just mad that I wasted a good day of riding yesterday by not taking the spring out earlier. It really comes out incredibly easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts