TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did any of you take any coarses to learn how to take corners and /or learn to ride better or is it just trial and error? ever since i crashed on some pretty technical twisties i've found that i am not as experianced as i thought i was and that maybe i should take a coarse to get my riding skills a little better.:O

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Track school. Read. There's plenty of material out there. THen get out and practice... carefully and incrementally, one step at a time. The track is by far the best place when you consider it's under controlled surroundings that allow to practice the same corners time and again. That way improvement, or lack thereof, becomes obvious. Plus there's that lack of traffic thing too :thumbup Hook up with a level headed rider who is actually fast and smart. Generally you won't hear that kind of guy/girl spouting off about how fast they are. I had a neighbor years ago in Redondo Beach who used to race and took me up to the Crest many times. It was extremely helpful having him follow and provide feedback. And lots of fun too.

As a side note, I haven't ridden aggressively since moving back to the midwest. Lack of what I consider relatively safe roads (or curves for that matter). What nice roads there are nearby have way to many blind corners, driveways and intersections. Not many tractors tooling along the road up in the mountains out west either. :banghead

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i think that is what cause my crash, poor road conditions along with some inexperiance. thanks for the info!

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I've done an advanced cornering and braking course and it was worth the money. But it's hard to beat experience, it goes a loooong way.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"bump"

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took an advanced rider course that was taught on a really tight road course. The teaching style was unique in that we were required to stay in 3rd gear the whole time and NOT use our brakes. This really helped to emphasize approach speed and lines and thinking of the next corner well in advanced. I would get the TLR up to about 70mph in the back straight and cut the throttle to prepare for a tight S turn. I had an unfair advantage over the I4s as I could use engine breaking.

I typically ride with my father, uncles, and their friends. They each have 35+ years riding and have raced motorcycles in one form or another. They are all VERY fast and knowledgeable in the technical and theory of motorcycle riding. I feel riding with more skilled/experienced riders is one of the best ways of being a better rider.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea we have thet advanced riding coarse here also i am going to take it , maybe it could have saved me and the tlr a little bit of road rash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts