TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I bought a Dell XPS m140 laptop with a bad KB and battery.

Wipe it and ordered the original Install desks from Dell, KB and battery.

Still waiting on the battery and the disk.

I came across a newer laptop that I was thinking about trading.

The guy is trying to sell for $350.00

Here the specs of the new laptop.

The model is the
HP G60 230US

Reviews here

http://www.kokeytechnology.com/gadgets/laptops-notebooks/hp-g60-230us-review-plus-full-specifications-and-features/

Compared to my recent purchase laptop.
Dell XPS M140

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2671

The trade I offered is my laptop plus $100.00.

The person rebutted and offered laptop for laptop plus $150.00

What do you think?

Fair deal I suppose but I can't decide.

The HP is better for sure as far as processor, graphics, screen size, full size KB

Yet I sort of like the little XPS M140. I picked up.

Dell system's are easier and cheaper to work on. Then again, the M140 is five years old. The HP model was new last year 2009. You could buy one for around $450.00 so I would have about 300-350 tied up if I did this deal a savings of 150.00 roughly.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I think I'd stick with the Dell. They should both have full size kb's and the Dell's screen isn't really all that much smaller in terms of pixles. Its 1280 x 800 while the hp is 1366 x 768 so the hp gets you a little more width and costs a bit of height. From what I've heard the HPs have had reliability issues too.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The main plus on the HP from what I can tell is it's the Dual Core 2.0GHZ, a much newer processor verses the single core 1.7GHZ of the M140.

The HP is a lot bigger design. It would work well for sit on the desk and use not carrying it around like the M140

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yeah the dual core would be nice, but if you are going to leave it on a desk, a desktop will give you much better performance:deal

My ~2001 toshebia has a Pentium M 1.8ghz processor and still does pretty good. Its limitation really is ram - still at 512mb (which was huge back then). My school laptop is an x61s (2.8 lbs:hail) with an ultra low voltage 1.8ghz dual core and 1gb of ram (need to upgrade eventually there) and it does do better, particularly with multitasking and when I've got a bunch of stuff open at once. Still, I think you'll find on most laptops the ram amount and hardrive speed will be the major limiting factors.

·
Registered
108 Posts
have you ever considered a macbook ?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
have you ever considered a macbook ?
For that price :spit :rotfl :lol :coocoo

@Del: Clearly the HP is much newer, so if it doesn't cost you much more, why not? Sure it depends on what you need, do you need the big screen or do you want a really portable one? I take mine everywhere all day and have a docking station at home, so I'd never consider such a big screen.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope it's for the kids really not me. I have no need to port one around. Occasionally, I might use it to surf the interweb. I thought about dropping my desktop and using the HP though to eliminate the office desk from our bedroom.

Sort of reclaim the space as a bedroom not bedroom slash, internet surf.

I think if the seller will stick with my offer, even trade plus 100.00 I'll do it. If not I'll have to think long and hard about it.

Perhaps a bit premature as I have not inspected it yet either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts