TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have finally decided to have a go at the trackday thing. What would be the best circuit to pop my trackday cherry on - ideally noth of England or Midlands.
Any recomendations for companies who are novice friendly as I do not want to end up with people who do not teach me anything - part of the exercise is to learn how to be a better / more confident rider :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Try 100% bikes but they should all be good at catering for the novice that wants to learn, most of them if you ask will have an instructor to follow you round and give you some pointers!!!!
I found Rockingham a good track as it doesn't have too many fast straights and is quite twisty, preffered it too Snetterton which was my 1st trackday that i had and had to do it in intermidiate, talk about shit me self!!!!!!! :laugh

·
Registered
429 Posts
Focused Events are good!!:)

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Tlspilot said:
Have finally decided to have a go at the trackday thing. What would be the best circuit to pop my trackday cherry on - ideally noth of England or Midlands.
Any recomendations for companies who are novice friendly as I do not want to end up with people who do not teach me anything - part of the exercise is to learn how to be a better / more confident rider :)

rockingham is a great track, no real fast straights, good surface,
have done 3 there and had a great time.
eh bouncer:banghead :banghead

or for a rirst one try mallory park, short lap, easy to learn, and also not too much silly breaking,

or you could come to the nurburgring next may, now thats a great track,:eek:mg :eek:mg

·
Registered
474 Posts
****in hell Thumper!
Rockingham a good track to start on jeez !
You can't see half the corners until you've gone through them.

I'd say Snett, Malory or donnington National as they are all quite easy to learn and I wouldn't have thought you'll get many super moto's in the novice group as they are a real pain in the arse on slow tracks as the lines they take are totally different,
You want to turn in and there's a ****ing super moto underneath you, I wouldn't have said Rockingham is a good first track to go on as some of the corners are very difficult to site and get good refference points on as it is very new and flat.

Even Cadwell would be good but the mountain might be a bit scary (never ridden it - only ridden the club circuit)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Track day novice

tlsgazza said:
or you could come to the nurburgring next may, now thats a great track,:eek:mg :eek:mg [/B]

Saw Jeremy Clarkson the other night dragging a diesel jaguar around it - made him look even more stupid than he is. I think he found it a very humbling experience

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Track day novice

Tlspilot said:
Saw Jeremy Clarkson the other night dragging a diesel jaguar around it - made him look even more stupid than he is. I think he found it a very humbling experience

i must admit it is a very dangerous place, especially if you come round a corner at 120+ and theres a bus full of tourists taking piccies in front of you, some of the cars are unbelievably fast,i've seen a lot of crashes there but i love the place, theres nothing like it anywhere in the world, done 88 laps there now and can't wait till next may to get some more in, not for the faint hearted mind,needs a lot of respect,:hail :hail :hail :hail :hail

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm hoping to go to the Ring at the end of March in the car!!!!! :devious
I was planning a trip out thier on the bikes around end of August as well!!!!! :devious

Nothing wrong with Rockingham for your 1st track day, just take it easy till you learn the track, it's not that hard to remember and the speeds are alot lower than Mallery or Snetterton!!!! as for Cadwell, i'd still be nervous of that mountain section even after doing a couple of track days!!! :laugh

·
Registered
474 Posts
Fair point but Speed is not an issue on a big track like SNet or Donny because its so wide. Prime importance for me for a first track day was as few corners as possible and an easy track to learn - I just don't think "The Rock" is an easy track to learn (by learn I mean same turn point every turn every lap)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I must admit i do have a good memory but their is only about 10 corners at Rock and it is such a good track, also the facilities their are quite good!!! I had more trouble at Snett getting the corners at the end of the back straight right than I have any other corners, especially on a 1st trackday as coming down the back straight at a 170mph(clock indicated before you all start with :bs !!!) is quite daunting!!!! :coocoo
What ever one you do Pilot your old pooper will be going but by the end of the day you'll be hooked!!! :hail

·
Registered
429 Posts
First good track i would say would be Brands Indy,Paddock hill bend is scary at first but you soon get used to it!!:)
Cadwell is a FOOKING awesome circuit it's got everything!!The Mountain is scary....following Bouncer...scarier!!...but fooking great!The only thing that ruined Cadwell for me was some ARSE diving under me on one of the corners almost putting me in the kitty litter,i was'nt in a confident state o mind before that...but after...confidence was thrown well and truly right out of the window!!
All i can say is go do yer track day but be errrrrr want for a better word focused!

·
Registered
146 Posts
:dowhat now hes just spoiled for choice guys:confused :confused :confused

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Donnington or Mallory - both about 30 mins (by TL) from me!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Donnington is by far the safest track but not cheap, they allso run a lot of silenced days.

Go with tracktime promotions to Caddy they are great with novice riders..

take your time and stay within your limits and most of all enjoy, dont try to go fast to soon..

NOBODY learns any track in just one day... they just think they do and then crash

Dave :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
TLRyogi said:
Cadwell is a FOOKING awesome circuit it's got everything!!The Mountain is scary....following Bouncer...scarier!!...but fooking great!

oi oi - nuffink wrong with my riding over the mountain. Just got a bit of a bollockin' for carryin' the wheelie damn near down to the clubhouse. :laugh :laugh :laugh

Got told to stop showin' off in front of the boys :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
429 Posts
Top Girlie!!:)

·
Registered
309 Posts
The other thing you could try is a race school. I did Ron Haslem at Donnington and it was awsome and I learnt a lot and didn't have to worry about my bike or kit as they supply the lot.:) It is a bit pricey though but worth it if you havn't been on track before. I feel much better about doing a track day now.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Oldbull said:
Donnington is by far the safest track but not cheap, they allso run a lot of silenced days.

Go with tracktime promotions to Caddy they are great with novice riders..

take your time and stay within your limits and most of all enjoy, dont try to go fast to soon..

NOBODY learns any track in just one day... they just think they do and then crash

Dave :)
I disagree, cause you can learn a track within a day, in fact you can learn the track within 1 session!!! What you might not get within a day is the braking points but then most people aint proffesional racers! so if you do think you have learn't it and out brake yourself you will find you aint actually anywhere near the limit of the bike, just your self!!!
I had a few moments at Rockingham which resulted in me talking to my self, i'm sure you have all done it, you come into a bend a bit hot hard on the brakes you see your apex point getting nearer and in your head your saying

"Let go of the brake, let go of the brake, let f*cking go of the brake!!!!"

eventually i will listen to me self tip and everything is "hunkey dorey!!!" and i think to me self I could have braked even later!!!! :laugh :devious

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Hey big T.. I thought braking points, tip in point, apex's exit speeds, etc etc is what 'learning the track' is all about...:O

·
Registered
429 Posts
:stupid

1 - 20 of 22 Posts