TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to riding a big bike like the TL and I am thinking of getting in to riding on the track because its not cool to race or speed on the highways. Even though the nearest track is a few hours away.

I am looking for at track bike and I was wondering what would be a good choice. I want to stay in the mid 90s just do to price, and I dont care if it is wrecked bike or a clean bike, I am only going to strip it and make it in to a track tool. Here are the ones I was considering, remember mid 90s.

YZF600R
YZF750R (yes I found a 96 in fantastic condition with 18k miles)
GSXR600
GSXR750
ZX-6R
ZX-7R
ZX-7RR
CBR F2
CBR F3

I know the 600s are a little lighter but I want to make sure I dont get bored with the power quickly. I know the 600 is higher than abilities but I am leaning towards a 750.

Thanks guys! I know there are some racers here.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
for me this makes the most sense

paid for it today:D
i know them inside out and they're fast enough for the track in the right hands

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...lots of guys also like the SV650's...

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I wouldn't get one (but I do want an RC31:drool)...

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...here in Japan the bros 650's with all the extra trick bits were called the RC31's:drool...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
yes but they're girls bikes and you know it jeff:fooku
Hmmmm.

Doesn't look like a girl's bike to me! This built SV650 has close to 100 rwhp & yes, that's a Penske triple clicker rear shock. That bike can kiss my TLS goodbye in the turns as it can hold way more corner speed! Kind of what you are looking for in a track bike.

Now on the other hand. This bike, well...

This one may have been tuned by a girl or maybe a chef? But it did pass through WERA tech as it had a lower fairing mounted that was able to hold one half quart of oil!

·
Registered
11,001 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Not too big of a turkey for that pan, no?

"Honey I told you that pan wasn't going to be big enough!"

"Now I suppose you will want me to run to the store to get another one!"

:laugh

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I know the 600s are a little lighter but I want to make sure I dont get bored with the power quickly. I know the 600 is higher than abilities but I am leaning towards a 750.
Ok, you obviously haven't been spending very much time at the track. Honestly, the faster I get the smaller the bike I find myself needing. I'm drooling over the little 250cc two stroke bikes because I can get my ass handed to me in the corners by those and I'm on the 600. Ifyou can find a good twisty track a 600 will be more bike than you'll need for a good long while to come.

Still, I'd say go with the SV650. That was what I was on the hunt for when the deal for my gixxer came up that I couldn't pass by.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
IMO the GSXR750 or ZX7R would be the best fun for your buck. Plus there's tonnes of parts/spares available for these bikes.

:D

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I just bought a wrecked 2000 F4 and plan on making it my track whoore. I sold my TLR since I won't be riding on the street anymore.

But I know where there's a wrecked YZF600R in PA.

What part are you from?

Also, there's a wrecked '05 F4i in Kentucky I was also looking at. If interested let me know and I'll forward the link to you.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
If it were me I'd go with one of the 600's on your list, but if not constrained by the list I'd go with something in the 450cc varity:devious

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am located in Norther PA, about 3 hours north of Harrisburg.

Where abouts is that wrecked yamaha located? Remember I am on a budget and have a lot of toys right now. (trying to get rid of 1 but it seems impossible!)

Yeah I agree with you Jason, I have had NO TRACK time what so ever. But that is why I want to start out with something that has plenty of power, handles well, and will not rape me for cost in the process. I appreciate the input from all of you. I will take my time this winter looking on ebay and cycle trader and cycle recycles and a few others.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok sorry for the second part here but a friend of mine sent me an e-mail from down arounc LocHaven and he found a bike pretty cheap.

It is a little different from what I would think but it may be a decent deal.

It is a 1990 Honda VFR 750. It is for sale by the original owner and it only has 6,400 miles. It has only an aftermarket slip/bold on exhaust pipe and he only is asking $2,800. Would this bike be ok if I could snag it for around $2,200? With christmas coming he may be willing to unload it for less than his asking price.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I wouldn't say a VFR is an ideal bike. And when you start out any bike will have more than enough power. You'll be spending time concentrating on cornering and not so much on the down the straight stuff. Besides, if your on a big powerful bike and new to the track your likely to end up being the guy everybody hates. The one that the 600's get stuck behind holding them up then you hit the straights and leave them only to have them stuck behind you on the next corner.

I still say you should look for an SV650. TONS of folks race them so they are plentiful and the aftermarket is very kind to them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i am agreeing with those above. if your thinking track. stay with the suzuki. many parts available. and knowledge. seems everyone has had them at one point or another. and more flexability when it comes to tinkering with adjustments and changes. be it suspension, motor, or brakes. definitely more so than the yamies or kwackers. the 600 hondas are also plentiful. you might want to check out the nesba classifieds or wera for people upgrading their equipment. i am sure there are other race/track day orgs that are good choices too. good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts