TLZone Forums banner

TPS 'incorrect adjustment' question.

12259 Views 44 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  markw1
Hey guys and gals, my name's Mark and I work for a UK motorcycle magazine, Performance Bikes.

We have just got ourselves a 1999 TL1000R as a 'project bike' for the Winter/next year.

It has 10.5k miles on it and is completely standard bar having a (quite badly fitted) undertray and a flip up screen on it. Oh, and some choice foam grips...! Perfect base for our intentions, to make it an improved roadbike capable of going head-to-head with a few other bikes we have in our sights and handle the occassional trackday. More to come on things like that in future updates in the mag. So far all we've done is speed tested and dyno'd the bike to get base figures which we hope to improve on.

I used to own a TL1000S which I bought after having ridden a few TLR's and deciding the TLS was a better bike for me but having originally wanted a TLR, this gives me the chance to live out that dream and I'm quite excited about it. I currently own a fairly modified 2003 R1 but have missed having a big twin in my life, so looking forward to this TLR and working on it.

Anyway, introduction over with, I have been spending the last few days reading through threads on this site about possible mods and things to look out for and I'd like to thank those that have contributed to the wealth of knowledge on here, it's been some very interesting reading.

My main question for now (I'm sure I'll bug a few of you more later!) is I've seen a few times when looking at various airbox mod threads, the TPS being "incorrectly adjusted" during the explanations. From the sounds of it, that seems to be advice, not a warning. If that's right, can someone please explain the procedure for setting the TPS purposefully incorrect? I understand the possible theory behind it, but can't seem to find a how-to on what to do.

At the moment I'm just collecting info/advice on possible things to do to the bike as the project rolls on but thanks in advance for helping with my first of I'm sure a few more questions.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
D'oh! Just noticed I made my first mistake... The thread title is meant to read 'TPS' not 'TLS'.

I think I still have my old TLS on the brain. Apologies.
Gotchya, thanks for the response The Ring-In.

I understand how to actually adjust the TPS, sorry I should have said I'm also a bike mechanic.

I should have been clearer when I posted my question though.

While reading the posts on doing the airbox mod, some seemed to suggested purposefully setting the TPS incorrectly. I just wanted to check if this was advisable and if so, what to set it to. I can understand that you may want to set the TPS differently to Suzuki's advised method, if this 'fools' the ECU into delivering a different ignition characteristic that some prefer, but I don't know the bike well enough to know if that is true or not.

While servicing these bikes for customers, I've always set TPS according to the service manual. I just wanted to to check if owners have found that to be the best method.

Here's a copy/paste from one of the posts that seemed to suggest setting it incorrectly was the thing to do:

On all of the bikes that I have done to date, all had the TPS set incorrectly, and all were re-mapped to +5 +10 +5 with the mixture at 11 o'clock. It is my personal belief that it is the combination of all of these factors that has led to the dramatic results.

So in brief, would I be best to set the TPS as per the service manual, or is there another setting owners have found works better?
See less See more
Hi,

I think you've slightly missed the sense of what was being said. The "dramatic results" were as a result of fixing the TPS setup in conjunction with some other mods. So lets say they had a PC fitted along with an exhaust system. They'd got a few extra HP then someone else comes along and gets all the mods working together in a more integrated fashion and gains a whole bunch more power. That's the dramatic result.

It it were me doing your project I'd start with the suspension. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the TLR motor. Yes there's stuff you can do (I suspect big bore kits are outside the scope of the project) but if its going to run up against more trick kit then the common changes like the replacement rear shock and Gixer front end will give you much bigger, immediate returns.

It will be interesting to hear how it turns out.

Cheers
Thanks very much, that was indeed what I thought but just wanted to be clear in case I was missing a little trick with the TPS that the wording didn't spell out clearly.

Yes we have a loose plan at the moment and chassis is where we'll be starting although I'd like to have a good look at the engine etc. just to make sure we're starting with a good healthy base as Suzuki intended before doing any work on that area.
you can move the tps cos its a relational thing.

let the ecu think the throttle is wider open and you get more fuel.

if the bike needs it then its a way to fudge it.

otherwise set it std.

a TRE will give the best boost in power for the minimum money tho
That's exactly what I was after The Ring-In, thanks. Ultimately we'll be using a PCIII for fuelling changes I would imagine so as long as there's no other benefit to setting the TPS 'wrong', I'll put it to standard when I check it.

Yes a TRE will be one of the first things we do once we get to the engine stage/s. Hopefully a GIpro because I'm not very good at counting gears either...
Out of interest what's the dyno given you as the starting point?
Fixed your title. There are lots of suspension fixes for TLRs. I spent lots of money on mine, it was good, but at the end of the day it was 1998 technology tarted up for a good time. Great bike to play on, fun on the track, but always heavy. When new, my TLR, full of gas, weighed 482 pounds, when I sold her I had it down to 460 pounds. I spent around $16K usd total to get there and I bought an 07 Gixxer that handled better out of the box. Sad really, because I love TLs so much. But I moved on. I had great results using GP suspension components on my last TLS, and both Ohlins and Penske shocks. Here is a link to my TL Stuff. The fork section at the bottom includes drilling the cones at the bottom to prevent hydraulic lock landing wheelies.

See less See more
Out of interest what's the dyno given you as the starting point?
113rwhp

Fixed your title. There are lots of suspension fixes for TLRs. I spent lots of money on mine, it was good, but at the end of the day it was 1998 technology tarted up for a good time. Great bike to play on, fun on the track, but always heavy. When new, my TLR, full of gas, weighed 482 pounds, when I sold her I had it down to 460 pounds. I spent around $16K usd total to get there and I bought an 07 Gixxer that handled better out of the box. Sad really, because I love TLs so much. But I moved on. I had great results using GP suspension components on my last TLS, and both Ohlins and Penske shocks. Here is a link to my TL Stuff. The fork section at the bottom includes drilling the cones at the bottom to prevent hydraulic lock landing wheelies.
Thank you very much for fixing the title and for the link oldtlsdoug. Your previous bikes were very special.

Yes I know what you mean about being expensive to improve an 'older' bike. My own R1, a 2003 model was 201kg wet (443lbs) is currently 175kg (385lbs) and I dread to think how much that's cost, not just in monetary terms either. For me though, there's no better bike out there and in my job I'm lucky enough that I get to ride pretty much everything else out there but performance isn't the be all and end all of why we love a certain bike as I'm sure you can appreciate. I have always missed owning a big twin since my TLS went so am very excited to be involved with this TLR. We're not expecting to end up with a bike that will beat all else in every way, but I think we can make a very nice ride out of it and look forward to doing that.
I am with you on the bike love. The best bang for the buck, TL-esque replacement bike is the Super Duke 990. I love mine, I hot rodded it a bit and it makes all the TL noises. It isn't a 90° V mind you, but it is gobs of fun. I also have an SR500E which I think is all the motorcycle we need, but it is fun to do stoppies and that it out of the league of the SR. The TL is a great motorcycle, I just got tired of fixing mine because I abused them so. But the sound of a TLR wide open with a set of Yosh pipes is still sweet.

Also for my track bike I run an RC8R, because it is very TL-like and NOT a Duc. Funny, about that.

See less See more
Reactions: 3
113rwhp

That's either a stingy dyno or that machine needs some work. Should be easy to find another 10 ponies.

Which is nice....

:)
113rwhp

That's either a stingy dyno or that machine needs some work. Should be easy to find another 10 ponies.

Which is nice....

:)

I was thinking the same

especially seeing 114 from my less powered S :D
Ahhhh, I've a pretty good idea why it's made that figure but can't say more at the moment I'm afraid ;)
I was talking to the missus last night about this TLR and my old TLS and she dug out a pic that I thought I'd lost forever. Thought I'd share it with you guys just for a giggle and it's now up on my workshop wall as 'inspiration' for this project:

I do miss that bike... I believe the frame ended up in Australia, and the Hyperpro shock along with it I think.
See less See more
This thread reminded me that I should sign up for a printed Performance Bikes subscription, which is done now.. Looking forward to reading the TLR articles.

Greetings from Denmark
Johnny

Here's the top of my bike, and my girlie with a TL-collar as well :-D
See less See more
Reactions: 2
He he. Any excuse..... :laugh

And who can blame him?
He he. Any excuse..... :laugh

And who can blame him?
Well I certainly wont... I think he's trumped any of the other pics posted in this thread!

humle, thanks very much for renewing your subscription. If you have an iPad though, you can get a digital subscription which has a few benefits such as better quality and more pics, instantly available to download when each issue hits the shops here if you didn't want to wait for your printed copies to be delivered to Denmark.

Thanks again.
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.