TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Ford Escape (all wheel drive) was towed yesterday via wheel lift and now my rear differential is shot. Is this due to the method the towing company used to tow my car? Should they have used a flat bed instead? And is the company responsible for the damage to my car?

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
I would say yes the dumdasses did it wrong and should pay for the damages they should know that U have to tow them with all 4 wheels on the ground or all 4 wheels in the air like putting it on a trailer atleast that is what the manual says on our xc70 (volvo with all wheel drive) some of the newer modells can be towed that way but not the older ones like your or mine :no

·
Who loves you
3,370 Posts
Crash is a scumbag....I mean lawyer in training and he is in PA, I am sure he can answer your question. However I would think they are certainly responsible for the damage to the car.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yes, Yes, probably not. Note, I'm not familer with the drivetrain of an escape, but if its like most AWD cages then towing with either pair of wheels on the ground is very bad. I know my sister's old CR-V had a clutch pack that looked a lot like a motorcycle clutch in the rear diff. There were matched hydro pumps in each diff as well, if the speed differed it would apply pressure to the clutch pack which engauged the rear diff, the more the speed differed (more wheel spin) the more pressure that would be applied. Quite a nice setup, but would obviously be cooked in short order if towed with either end on the ground.

Edit: Just looked, the Escape seems to have the same setup as the CR-V.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1266646.html

My guess is that the AWD clutches are shot.

good luck

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
i know nothing about the mechanics on whether or not that would hurt your car. damage to vehicles from towing depends on the situation, why was your car getting towed? Most places make you waive liability, that doesn't mean that you can't go after them for gross negligence though. I'd imagine you'd be able to go after them, how much is it going to cost to repair?

-:banana

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's going to cost $2000 in repair. I signed a waiver but for any damage out of their control... towing my car incorrectly should be within their control yes? I had my rear differential replaced and it cost about $1000 in labor plus the $870 for the part.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
I'd go after them for sure.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I used to drive a tow truck years ago.Yes it is a big deal to tow an all wheel drive like that.It should have been put on tow dollies or a flat bed.We used to have a book that would cover all towing procedures in it for all makes and models.If they took there time and did it right they would have had no problem.We used to be dispatched by AAA and if we ever had a question they could answer it for us.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I towed my old 4 wheel drive Jeep across country when I moved to Cali on a front wheel lift tow dolly... I had to actually remove the drive shaft so the wheels wouldn't lock up in back!!!!!!!!! FWIW

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...good luck, go after them...

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
i'd tell them you're gonna stick them with the bill...and if the cough at you, say ok, stay right there, i'm gonna call my lawyer and he's gonna tell you you're gonna get stuck with the bill.

-:banana

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
yep, what Crash said............ don't back down...........

·
Registered
269 Posts
Make em pay
I towed my old 4 wheel drive Jeep across country when I moved to Cali on a front wheel lift tow dolly... I had to actually remove the drive shaft so the wheels wouldn't lock up in back!!!!!!!!! FWIW
I towed my subaru the same way. A dolly from uhaul is cheap compared to the flatbed

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
same with our audi, need to use a flatbed. any tow truck driver knows that.

like everyone sez, dont back down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts