TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride between Dayton and Purdue pretty often (about 200miles) and next summer I'm planning on riding out to the US MotoGP (about 2500 miles one way). I'm starting to look for a couple things like some kind of cruise control, and I was wondering what kind of tank/tail/saddle bags you guys have.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I toured Dallas to Birmingham on my TLR. Get a gel seat, it would have helped me tremendously. Really the only things sore were my butt and my neck at the end of the day, but both of those were really really sore. 2500 miles is a good trek. I used a tankbag from www.rka-luggage.com that I have. It was pricey when I bought it, but I commuted with it daily for two years and have had it since 2000 when I got my old gixxer and I don't treat the bag well, just toss it on the ground. Aside from some scratches on the map pocket it looks brand new. No pulled threads or anything.

And is it just me or is that a TLS on RKA's homepage? :O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I rode from VA to Toronto to Oshkosh WI and back to VA. I picked up a joe rocket tank bag a couple days before I left (it was all that was in stock at the local shop, but seems to work ok) and straped my book bag to the rear seat and that worked well enough for me for the next week. Put soft stuff in the tank bag so you can comfortably lie down on it. Pack fairly light and be careful that nothing could possibly get sucked into the rear wheel.

I've never used a cruise control, but there are models that replace your bar end and seem to work ok. Bring a little chain lube with you, tire plugs and something to air tires up and check pressure.

I left VA around 4pm and arrived in toronto about 1am (~650 miles)

left toronto about 8am and arrived in madison WI about 6pm (~800 miles)

left Madison around 7am and got to oshkosh around 10am I think. (~200 miles)

Stayed in oshkosh for a few days (eaa air venture)

Left oshkosh aroudn 7:00am got back to NoVA around 10pm (over 1k miles).

The main thing is to ride and have fun, the equipment doesn't make much difference imho:)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I rode from Vancouver BC to Laguna Seca, last summer on my TLR for the Moto GP. All I took was a tail bag. Did around 700 miles each day. It was great. Motel'd it at night. I got ground floor rooms, and brought the bike inside with me. Excellent trip.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
heres a couple o pics of my set up. i have tail risers installed so my pipes hang a little bit low. i use the ECLIPSE soft saddle bags for sport bikes. they would be better if they were waterproof. but you can just wrap your stuff in plastic bags. they hold alot, but they wouldnt clear the exhaust w/o the tailrisers. i also use a tank bag that i have riveted to the rear seat. the magnets folded neatly under the seat and i put in a few rivets to be sure. i like it better then having the tank bag in my face. so check it out, this was near daytona on a recent 600 mile plus day. The beautiful black tl in the pics is TLCRAZY from here. Really nice bike. And a cool dude. :thumbup

Heres one of my bike next to my boys' hayabusa, i love his bike.

But for real SPORT TOURING , I think my girls bike is where its really at. Check it out. It handles great and its way comfy. Bags are water proof :) The VFR i think is greatly underestimated by most folks.

Better pic of my set up in beautiful st. Augustine FL....in crappy weather

1 - 5 of 5 Posts