TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an old industrial grade Echo chainsaw, passed down from my granfather (he used to run a camp in the back woods of Canada).

The thing is a BEAST, it's the saw I use to fell trees when cutting firewood for my dad and brother. My dad gave it to me because he was afraid of it.

I'm not even sure of the modle but...

I loaned it to my dad and a friend to clear some timber and it stopped running properly. My dad took it to a small engine guy and the guy says the compression is fine, carb fine... what it looks like the problem is after it runs about 30 seconds the spark goes away...

ok, so this looks pretty straight foreward, the spark plug coil is parted somewhere and when it heats up the gap opens and spark is lost.

the problem is that the saw is so old, you can't get parts for it anymore.

Can a small engine spark plug coil be rewound?

Does anyone know who can do it (google search gave me some place in GA that was unable to rewind spark plug coils because the wire was so fine, they didn't have a machine that would do it.

could I do it myself? (ya'll know what a cheap bastage I am) plus the main reason is the saw is wicked when it ran, it was my Grandpa's, and replacing my felling saw is going to be EXPENSIVE.

anyone, anyone?

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Not sure about over there but there are loads of companies over here that do coil rewinds.

Try the sort of companies that advertise secondary lighting coils for mx bikes etc or even magneto rebuilds for classic bikes :thumbup

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roger that, Once i have the saw back in hand I can take a look and see what kind of job it will be.

if the parts are out in the open, as opposed to encased in plastic, it might be a go.

who knows, I may make a jig, mount the bad boy in my lathe *S*

I would think those magneto boys would be dealing with "hair thin" wire... sounds like a good place to start.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
You can buy the wire and rewind yourself. It's called enamelled wire. You'll need to do a bit of testing to see how many turns are on the coil. Maybe a motor repair can help you with that.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Before you do that, why not try to find one similar in size/ shape and see if you can fit it? If you see you cant, yes thin enamelled wire and count the turns carefully. Wont hurt if your off a turn or three but be as close as possible.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Open it up & take pics.

There's several different types of set-ups used in small engines. You could have a fault in the HV secondary or the lower voltage primary.

Also double check the shop's diagnosis. Got a timing light? Put the clips on a 12V battery, put the clamp over the spark plug lead and run the engine until it stops - use the timing light to confirm the spark has gone. (Even better if you have an older neon type that goes in series with the spark plug lead as you can watch it continuously while the engine is running).

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
i might have a few numbers for some vintage saw parts also try to post them sunday

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, here is an update, all good news so if you need a boost going into the weekend, read on.

first off, the saw is an Echo SC-701s VL. I read the specs on it, a frickin 70cc engine so when we see Doug riding around on the 50, I have a bigger engin in my chain saw:devious

So, just on the odd chance, I plugged that into Ebay and whatdayaknow, this came back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360178329753&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and I picked up a side cover for the saw that was dammaged some years ago..

got to luv Ebay, 42 year old saw and I got the parts I needed.

just got to get it together and it will be time for some nice warm fires this winter.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:thumbup So the saw runs properly now?

My "old" saw is a mere spring chicken compared to yours - I think mine is from the mid or late 80's (stihl 038 Mag - 72cc).

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not yet, just ordered the parts today, they should be in some time next week and I'll dig into it then, I have to pull the fly wheel to get to the coil/condenser/points assembly.

I may take it back to my dad's small engine guy, he pulled it apart and checked stuff and I dont' think he charged him anything cuz he couldn't get the saw working properly. Would be approperate to let me fix it and recoupe the expense and time he already has into it.

more info as it happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts