TLZone Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, tough to keep good compression like that!
I gotta say im actually impressed had the chunk of connecting rod not gotten jammed between the case and crank i think the front cylinder would've kept on rockn and a rollin. As insane as it may seem having seen the massacre for yourself the trans and case seem to be just fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So i believe what happened is the shims on the big end are just completely gone from the rear cylinder and that allowed enough slop for the piston to drop below the sleeve and csuse what you see before you. I learned an awful lot. I now know what piston slap sounds like i also learned that just because the noise is seemingly coming from the front cylinder valve train its very possible its the rear cylinder with the issue. I still haven't quite wrapped my gray matter around that one but myself and 2 mechanics agreed it seemed it was the front cylinder so like a good little newbie i never checked the rear for slop. Hell it had a run out of a good 5/16" or more slamming into the head. Never did it feel like it was under my ass i always felt it infront of me and up in my hands its weird as all get out. But i think aside from new bearings and gaskets im in good shape for the shape im in. Luckily i still have the original motor that only has a blown trans the rest is known good working order.
Another thing i learned is rebuilding an engine is slways better than buying a used motor snd just installing it.
Say do i get some kind of award for the best blown tlr engine? I think it would be hilarious to turn whats left of that jug and piston into a trophy that we pass around to guys for some meaningless achievement they managed to fall ass backwards into. Maybe ig theres a secret santa some lucky son of a bitch will get that for his wall of accolades. Lmao! For now its on my wall of shame next to a few other hard lessons learned.
LONG LIVE THE TLR!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Now there's something you don't see every day. Has the bike been hanging around 2-strokes and learning bad habits?

Reactions: 02TLNOOB

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Now there's something you don't see every day. Has the bike been hanging around 2-strokes and learning bad habits?
Hahahaha! Thats funny. But i cant say that it has. I cant account for wether or not it snuck out a few times late at night while i wasnt home. Its entirely possible thst its been mixing it up with the wrong crowd. Gunna have to have a sit down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you please give us a bit of background about the engine before this happened.
Mileage, are you hard on motors, a wheel stand freak etc
Just learning about TLs
Cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Can you please give us a bit of background about the engine before this happened.
Mileage, are you hard on motors, a wheel stand freak etc
Just learning about TLs
Cheers
This is my first bike i bought it with a blown trans so i had pull the original engine and replaced it with this one. I took very good care of every part of the bike as i had put a lot of work into it.
The engine in question came from a salvager in texas that as far as im concerned was a 5 star seller, a real stand up guy. Buy all accounts i was easy on the bike as i was and still am learning. Thats not to say i didnt open it up now and again. But it was a used motor thatvi didnt bother to go over prior to just shoving it in the bike. It already had 20k miles on it and by all rights should have been gone over prior to going into the bike. I put upwards of 3000 miles on it last summer before it started with its death rattle and had always been a strong running motor ip to that point. I cant say i remember anything note worthy that i could attribute to having initially spun the rod bearing i just rode it home one day and upon pulling up to the house i had noticed a faint sort of rattle but couldnt quite pin point it so i figured id keep my... ear on it. Well it didnt take it very long after that to let me know what the problem was. I always chaged oil by color once it got and not milage andvit was decidedly premature as i believe i changed oil 6 times last summer. I tried to make sure it only got 93 octane as much as possible so i would fill my truck up then fill my 5gal jerry can to eliminate getting all the leftover 87 that's still in the line from the guy before me (ive been told its upwards of 3 gal) never did any wheelies hell i never even crack full throttle on it id probably have shit myself and the guy behind me. Now in the beginning say 500 miles or so i tended to cruise around in 3rd atvaround 6-8k rpm but thought nothing of it.

My line of thinking is this. It was a used engine that thevsellervprovided ample proff itvwas a known working engine i just dropped the ball when i neglected to give it a good once over prior to bolting her in. And thats about all the backstory i have on it. Hope that answers any questions and apologies for the lack of brevity and any typos. Let me know if ypu have any other questions feel to harass about it, pick on me or otherwise jib jab about what happened.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is my first bike i bought it with a blown trans so i had pull the original engine and replaced it with this one. I took very good care of every part of the bike as i had put a lot of work into it.
The engine in question came from a salvager in texas that as far as im concerned was a 5 star seller, a real stand up guy. Buy all accounts i was easy on the bike as i was and still am learning. Thats not to say i didnt open it up now and again. But it was a used motor thatvi didnt bother to go over prior to just shoving it in the bike. It already had 20k miles on it and by all rights should have been gone over prior to going into the bike. I put upwards of 3000 miles on it last summer before it started with its death rattle and had always been a strong running motor ip to that point. I cant say i remember anything note worthy that i could attribute to having initially spun the rod bearing i just rode it home one day and upon pulling up to the house i had noticed a faint sort of rattle but couldnt quite pin point it so i figured id keep my... ear on it. Well it didnt take it very long after that to let me know what the problem was. I always chaged oil by color once it got and not milage andvit was decidedly premature as i believe i changed oil 6 times last summer. I tried to make sure it only got 93 octane as much as possible so i would fill my truck up then fill my 5gal jerry can to eliminate getting all the leftover 87 that's still in the line from the guy before me (ive been told its upwards of 3 gal) never did any wheelies hell i never even crack full throttle on it id probably have shit myself and the guy behind me. Now in the beginning say 500 miles or so i tended to cruise around in 3rd atvaround 6-8k rpm but thought nothing of it.

My line of thinking is this. It was a used engine that thevsellervprovided ample proff itvwas a known working engine i just dropped the ball when i neglected to give it a good once over prior to bolting her in. And thats about all the backstory i have on it. Hope that answers any questions and apologies for the lack of brevity and any typos. Let me know if ypu have any other questions feel to harass about it, pick on me or otherwise jib jab about what happened.
Hey, thanks a lot for the insite.
I have just brought my first TL although a couple of mates had told me to keep clear of them, and I just want to know what to keep an eye and ear on!
The bike I brought has 18000kms on it and is in mint condition so I think it has had very respectful owners.
Looking forward to learning a lot through this forum
Cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey, thanks a lot for the insite.
I have just brought my first TL although a couple of mates had told me to keep clear of them, and I just want to know what to keep an eye and ear on!
The bike I brought has 18000kms on it and is in mint condition so I think it has had very respectful owners.
Looking forward to learning a lot through this forum
Cheers
Honestly these are pretty tough bikes. What happened to me is not very typical. But if you start to hear a sudden knock or tap stop riding it and have it figured out.
Typical things to watch are keeping the push rod for the clutch clean as the chain slings shmoots all over it and and they would actuate properly. Put LED head lights in it right away stock halogens tend to be too much for the stock wiring. I would also go around the whole bike and put dielectric grease in all of the connectors, and when you change oil cut the oil filter open hunt for metal bits. At the same time on the bottom of the case youll see a large diameter plug not the 17mm drain plug the one im talking hex key bolt i believe 7 or 8 mm that leads to the strainer for the trans use your phone to take a pic of up inside to see if iys got much of anything trapped. Ph and get a piece of para cord or i used platisc coated 1/16 aircraft cable to secure the hump as they are known for coming off while riding. They corner as well as some of the newer stuff so take it easy until youre use to it but i assure you can getvyour lean on with these things in the right hands they are a force to e reckoned with. And that sound... for get about it i have mine straight piped because im an asshole but oh my god does it sound sweet. Its just lovely if you ask me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honestly these are pretty tough bikes. What happened to me is not very typical. But if you start to hear a sudden knock or tap stop riding it and have it figured out.
Typical things to watch are keeping the push rod for the clutch clean as the chain slings shmoots all over it and and they would actuate properly. Put LED head lights in it right away stock halogens tend to be too much for the stock wiring. I would also go around the whole bike and put dielectric grease in all of the connectors, and when you change oil cut the oil filter open hunt for metal bits. At the same time on the bottom of the case youll see a large diameter plug not the 17mm drain plug the one im talking hex key bolt i believe 7 or 8 mm that leads to the strainer for the trans use your phone to take a pic of up inside to see if iys got much of anything trapped. Ph and get a piece of para cord or i used platisc coated 1/16 aircraft cable to secure the hump as they are known for coming off while riding. They corner as well as some of the newer stuff so take it easy until youre use to it but i assure you can getvyour lean on with these things in the right hands they are a force to e reckoned with. And that sound... for get about it i have mine straight piped because im an asshole but oh my god does it sound sweet. Its just lovely if you ask me.
Will do, thanks again.
I don't care what other people say, you don't seem to be a Noob to me 🤣

·
Registered
574 Posts
"Put LED head lights in it right away stock halogens tend to be too much for the stock wiring."

I would advise not doing this. The reflectors are made for regular headlights. I would suggest you do the headlight relay mod. It's much less expensive. I got a kit from Eastern Beaver, H4 Kits . I also purchased a right hand handlebar switch, British style with an on/off switch for the headlights. Both of those eliminate the load on the harness when you are starting the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
"Put LED head lights in it right away stock halogens tend to be too much for the stock wiring."

I would advise not doing this. The reflectors are made for regular headlights. I would suggest you do the headlight relay mod. It's much less expensive. I got a kit from Eastern Beaver, H4 Kits . I also purchased a right hand handlebar switch, British style with an on/off switch for the headlights. Both of those eliminate the load on the harness when you are starting the bike.
Right on, thanks for that.
Is it law over there that headlights have to be on at all times?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

I dont know i put LEDs in mine and it was a night and day difference. Pardon the pun.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Will do, thanks again.
I don't care what other people say, you don't seem to be a Noob to me 🤣
Well i learned a lot the hard way but not having any help aside from years of experience building and fixing whatever i could get my dirty richard beaters on. I called myself noob because this is/was my first bike. I bought it with the blown trans to use for sn electric motorcycle idea i have but when i heard it and researched it i just could bring myself to take away a lions roar like that so i bought a used engine and now ive had hands on every single nut and bolt on it. So now im sure its a piece of shit. Lol. Before it was still up in the air.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They recon you can't polish a turd, but I've pretty shiny ones!
Do you remember what brand of LEDs you got, there is so much crap out there!
Just look at how many newish cars only have one headlight going!!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I've done an LED conversion. There is an awful lot of junk on the market but if you get the right ones they are a massive improvement. I went through 3 or 4 iterations before I finally settled on the ones I have now with results going from poor to average to really rather good. The issue tended to be getting the focus right with the common problem being that high beam tended to be directed skywards. The process is documented elsewhere on this site.

Currently I'm using something that looks like this:

P7 LED lamp

They don't seem to be available anymore however. That said I've just spotted a new design which looks promising. If I get around to trying it will post the results.

Reactions: 02TLNOOB

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
They recon you can't polish a turd, but I've pretty shiny ones!
Do you remember what brand of LEDs you got, there is so much crap out there!
Just look at how many newish cars only have one headlight going!!
Ill look tomorrow for you. They also make clear headlight covers without fresnel lensing.

The deal with LEDs is this. They say theyre good for 100000 hours which is not a lie its just they dont tell people is that the drivers are typically only good for 50000 hours. Very rarely will you find that they tell you the lifespan of the driver. So thats why i always get LEDs with separate drivers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I've done an LED conversion. There is an awful lot of junk on the market but if you get the right ones they are a massive improvement. I went through 3 or 4 iterations before I finally settled on the ones I have now with results going from poor to average to really rather good. The issue tended to be getting the focus right with the common problem being that high beam tended to be directed skywards. The process is documented elsewhere on this site.

P7 LED lamp

They don't seem to be available anymore however. That said I've just spotted a new design which looks promising. If I get around to trying it will post the results.
Those are very similar to what i have but mine are COB that cast side to side instead being an array. I dunno maybe i got lucky.

·
Registered
17 Posts

P7 LED lamp

Shiiiiit, that thing looks like you put it in your tank and run your bike off it 🤣.
I need to catch up with the times, I have never seen a "bulb" like that before!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I bet you guys thought i gave up. Lol. Not bloody likely.

The carnage continues ladies a jerks. I did seem to get lucky as the case halves and transmission are somehow just fine. Im judt as amazed as you all are.
20210501_170924.jpg
20210501_170920.jpg
20210501_170915.jpg
20210501_170859.jpg

21 - 40 of 40 Posts