TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't look good ...
No sir. Im no mechanic but id say shes broken. Lol
Another indicator that something is fouled up is the fact when i drained the oil about a quart of coolant came out first. Lol. "Well theres your problem!"

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cylinder is split from top to bottom. I should have some time in the next few says to pull the motor out and pop some covers off, start tearing it down. Then we'll see some real gory shtuff. Im getting the willy squiggits just thinking about it. Well thatvand the fact i have to tear down 2 motors snd hope like hell i have rnough parts to make one good one. Lol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah thsts what you wanna see when you look into the bottom of your crankcase. Any body got an engine to let go of? Honestly all i think i need is a case and possibly a good trans with forks snd whatnot.
20210221_122758.jpg
20210221_121422.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd definitely just look for a complete motor. Compression test and make sure it shifts through the gears.
I have a spare engine with a known good top end and crankshaft but bad trans and possibly case. But then im tearing apart 2 engines to cobble one together and i know damn well im not just going to leave it stock. If it goes to a machine shop its getting resleeved and punched out. If that happens ill have to built a camper trailer to haul behind it cause the wife will shoot me in the face with a bazooka on my way out the door. Haha!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But even if i buy a complete motor im still going to take in down and replace all bearings, bushings and any other potential wear items. Thats what got me into this mess. I bought an engine that was comp tested shown running the whole 9 yards. Yet here i sit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
But even if i buy a complete motor im still going to take in down and replace all bearings, bushings and any other potential wear items. Thats what got me into this mess. I bought an engine that was comp tested shown running the whole 9 yards. Yet here i sit.
Ahhhh .... that sucks. I suppose it's always a bit of a crap shoot when you're buying used. The best you can do is to buy from someone you know/trust. Heck, years ago I sold a TLR motor to my brother for a project that never happened, and now I'll most likely be buying it back from him, but I really don't know it's history for certain either ... if it's good, I plan to put it in a TLS so I can run an R exhaust ... along with the few minor upgrades an R motor has over the S.

As for modifications, are you sure you'd want to sleeve the cylinders? You can go +2mm with simply a bore and replate. I've had a pair of JE pistons and spare cylinders just waiting on my lazy self to do this ... I think I've had them for something like 12-15 years. And I still have never installed VeeTwo cams waiting to go as well. I used to have some high dollar rods, but sold them ... will be getting another set before I finally get motor work done.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couldn't you just swap heads to get the exhaust. Then put an sv1000 crank with tlr pistons and get a 97 tls throttle body and bobs your uncle.
As for the punching out goes im just talkin out my ass. Im on $0 budget for this bad mamma jamma. Lol.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Problem for the R exhaust on the S is the oil cooler on the S. The R head pipe runs close to the head not leaving clearance for the stock cooler. Choices are to relocate the oil cooler radiator and re-plumb the lines, add an R oil cooling heat exchanger (for which the early S models such as mine don't have a large enough flange on the motor to accept without an adaptor plate, or simply switch to an R motor and run the S throttle bodies, wiring harness, etc.

As for the SV crank, not sure on that. I know the SV motor derived from the TL motor, but there's lots of small differences. Besides, I have the motor available, so I might as well give it a go.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems you spun a wrench or 2 on these TLs. Honestly tho im no stranger to torque'n and wrench'n on well nearly anything this is my first bike. I just replace the motor last year along with rebuilding the forks and a few other things. I guess now i get to learn the engine side of things. Im always game for learning something new.
Im an electrician/cnc technician by trade so im supposed to know how everything works... at least thats the way we act. Lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have been around these bikes for a long time, and like you, not afraid to get into them. Many hours on forums and studying differences between models/years on parts diagrams ... just take your time, use proper/good tools, and follow the shop manual.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Afraid?! Heck no. The way i see it is if someone else put it to that means i can to. I got myself pretty far attitude. But i tell ya the biggest AH-HA! moment for me was when i realized that no matter what it is beit a motorcycle a rollercoaster or a blender. They all use the same parts. Its just a matter of how those parts are put together that make it a motorcycle, rollercoaster or... blender.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it does sort of look like the inside of your engine was put through a blender!
Im glad you caught that. I was hoping that wouldnt go unnoticed.
It really does. I have big hands like baseball mits for hands type deal and id say theres a good 2 handfuls of "oh maaaaaannnnn!" In there.
Ya know i think thats all just spare parts... yeo extra weight thats just slowin me down "way down" and this was the bikes way of saying "im going on a diet." Whatever helps me sleep at night right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts