TLZone Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like I promise , here is a small guide showing how to fit bit by bit a top yoke handlebar onto the TLS. I hope you guys forgive me if I kick the dictionary a bit, my English is not as good as I'll like it :O .

Lets go with it...

I bought the parts need, a set of M&P bar risers and a Renthal handlebar. I choice a Renthal road ultra low in black anodize. I get both on www.mandp.com

The job started taking off the upper front farings and windscreen, mirrors, mirrors bracket and stock steering damper, It wasnt a big deal. Finally I got access to the clean top yoke. just unscreew the bolts that hold it , and it came appart

Now I make some measurements on the clamp in order to get the center points for the risers. On the botton side of the clamp was necesary remove the two small rubber dampers ( suppose to be for vibrations) and do some milling/grinding job to provide a flat suftace for the bolts.
Thats the top clamp before, also can see the risers

and after

The final result of the job on the top clamp look like this

On this pic you can see how it looks like on the bike before to continue with the process

Ok, next step was fit all electricical wires and cables on the new set up.
Electrical cables fits ok, just need an small reroute.

Throttle cables the same, just need to move from the left front hole of the chassis to the right one and clearance is good enought.

The fast iddle cable fit a big tight but works ok even if move the steering all the way both sides. In the furure I'll try to find a longer or make a custom one.

The brake line need to be changed. I had already brained lines, so I bought a new one same style. The stock one has 70cm long and the new one needed 85 cm long. I'm going to cut a bit the old brake line and fit it on the rear brake....this is a pic of both brakes lines....

Now the clutch cable... You can keep the stock clutch cable just re routing a bit , but I really don't like it the bend it got. So I contact Fiche-man for some advice and he told me that clutch cable from Yamaha SR 125 will fit. So I bought it , just 15 Euro (12$ more or less). It fits perfect and the route and bend is like it should be.

Thats the standard clutch cable re route

Those are the standard and yamaha cables

And this pic is the Yamaha cable fited on the handlebar

Now it's time to modify the farings. As the new set up is higher and widder than the stock clips on, the bar ends touch with the plastics so cut away that part will be necesary

Another menber from the zone help me Tls-Moose. he sent me some pics showing the points where to cut the firings, he gave me some good advise about how to mark and cut the plastics.

two more pics of the process

As you can see I use tape to mark the cutting route, take your time to mark both sides same way, I mean symetrical. I use to cut it a Dremmel.
About the windscreen I use the same procedure.

Thats the final result

Could be some small things that you can find in the process... I have to do a custom bracket fot the brake reservoir, and mirrors, but just small things that should come up in a diferent way depending of the brake pump or mirror you have...

So basically thats it. It took to me two days to do the job (over 10 hours) but I had to stop until got the brake line and the clutch cable.

Finally pics after finish the job...well still need to fit some details like bar ends and mirrors , but the hard job is already done:)

I hope this post can help you guys in case you want to go the same way. Feel free to pm or post if you need more pics or want to ask something

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...its all looking good execpt for that TLPlanet sticker (in the background):laugh...

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
love how the windscreen and faring turned out :hail

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
+1

Looks real clean, very nice!

Want to do the same with my R but the more I think of it the more I think: damn, i've gotta do that too.

As I need risers, bar, new brake lines, change front light, steering damper.. and while I'm at it I might as well fit a clutchcable to replace the clutchline/slave cilinder.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.... I have to say that I'm absolutly happy with the conversion, even thinking that I don't try it on the road yet. I'm waiting to return back my driving licence and also for the mirrors from my local dealer.

Now the bike feel confortable when you seat on it. Tha's exactly the way I wanted to go and even feel light too :)

This conversion was not expensive at all. It doesn´t reach 200 $$ wich is quite less than LSL kit.

Finally, I fit today an hyperpro steering damper supplied by Duken4ever.... Sorry Moose, You're going to think that I copy your bike....well just a bit :devious

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Looks excellent buddy :thumbup :hail I reckon that double bubble screen will be helpfull - mine (standard height) is a a touch low for 80mph+ or windy day cruising :dowhat

My only other comment would be to watch those riser bolt holes - there ain't a huge amount of meat on those yokes, and a large washer underneath to spread the load might be wise :O I just used the bolts as a way to hold them in place whilst they were welded ....... :)

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comment Moose, yes, maybe you're right , I'll try to find out some big washers or even a metal plate to reinforce the clamp on the botton. Another posibility could be drill one more hole on the midle and put a third bolt to split the strees on the clamp..

Good input:thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just one think I forget on the main post:

Yamaha SR 125 Clutch cable..... part number ..... 2JW-F6335-10

Very cheap, 15Euro, over 19 US Dollar

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Nicely done. I looked all over for that brake cable a few years back on Sam's recommendation but couldn't find one for under $60 USD. Since my stocker worked I didn't do anything. Care to act as a buying agent for me? ???

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
Nice Job, glad it went to plan :)

Now we have twins :laugh

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
after few weeks waiting for a set of mirrors that never came... still waiting. I finally borrow a set of mirror from a friend. It's a Kawi ZX7 mirrors, not the best looking of the world but do it's job....

I test the bike on the road and I have to say that it's a complete new bike... The handling improve so much, and the steering feel incredible fast with the new handlebar.

About the riding position now feel more natural, the arms and shoulder are in a straight position and when you use brakes the weight transfer to the hands is quite less compared with the clips on.

I have to say that I adsolutly happy with the conversion. Still to fine tunning suspensions cos at the same time I fitted a new 800lb rear spring and rebuilt my old TLS forks again ( I prefer the old TLS insted the TLR ones). So I hope to ride some more this winter an enjoy my new Suzuki Tuono '98 ja,ja,ja..

Here are some pics with the bike finished

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can a scotts steering damper fit the renthal bars conversion setup? Did you cut the plastics and the windscreen with the parts mounted on the bike? Whats the diameter of the ultra low renthal bars?

That's a real cool pictorial run through of the conversion, great job.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks civicblade....

I don't think the scott damper will fit...as you can see on the pics the space on the clamp is minimum, even the stock damper won't fit...

Yes I cut the fairings with the plastic on , is the only way you can mark it and cut simetrical. The way to do it is turn the handlebar both sides and mark where teh levers won't touch the plastics... them mark both sides same height and cut it away... I use a dremel to do it..

Finally the Renthal is a standart 7/8" or 22 mm diameter...same diameter as clipons, otherwise the controls won't fit on the new set up...
thanls again friend

J

·
0 Posts
That's the way TL should come from the factory!!!:hail

Bikini fairing is so right for cross bars. Original clip ones are horrible, helibars are great but those cross bars must make it amazing bike.

Too bad the motor would blow in first day with those bars.... I would not be able to control myself.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the way TL should come from the factory!!!:hail

Bikini fairing is so right for cross bars. Original clip ones are horrible, helibars are great but those cross bars must make it amazing bike.

Too bad the motor would blow in first day with those bars.... I would not be able to control myself.

It has an easy solution Jarkko.... Do the conversion yourself :laugh

I'm absolutly happy to did it... Takes time to convence myself but it's the best mod I did on the bike:hail

W

·
0 Posts
very good write-up! :thumbup

it looks very good too, i'm sure it was quite a decision cutting up perfectly good plastics :devious
i'm with jarkko on the original clip-ons, they're not very well placed.

for mirrors i'd suggest simple and plain bar-end mirrors, great for looks, and great for looking :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
man that looks great!:hail Wonder how the tlr would look with that mod?:devious Maybe i'll try it some day?:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.