TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to replace the gasket from the rear manifold to the rear pipe.
Got all the fairings and pipes off. loosened up the front pipe bolts as well.
Dropped the system and slipped the gasket in but now am having trouble lifting it back up.
Just wondering if its a matter of using a mallet to bring the pipes around.
Will try and put everything back together tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Make sure the engine pipe is lining up with the gasket properly. (I'm assuming you have the gasket sitting in the exhaust system). Just double check the gasket can fit over the spigot. :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the gasket in the pipe coming down from the back cylinder (which shall be called the back manifold)
The pipe from the crossover bit doesn't seem to line up with the back manifold.
I've loosened up the front flange and am trying to pull the system backwards and upwards to try and get it over the front manifold now.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tommygun fix prt 2

Finally got the rear pipe on the rear manifold with the gasket in between. Managed to drop the front pipe as well, to realize that I didn't need to do that and could've easily worked on just the back half by removing the bolts at the cross over.
In taking the fronts off I've hit a snag. Well, more like a bloody great tree.
The right bolt was going to be difficult yesterday and today it decided that it'd had enough. :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
The result;

:banghead :banghead
Now I’ve got to figure out how the hell I can take that bit off and I’m going to do to bolt the front flange back on.

BTW this is what was left of the old gasket;

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, I might be in the market for a bottom radiator too :banghead

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
:banghead Looks like there might be enough bolt sticking out to put a nut on it, then fill it with a welder and try to undo it again. I should have said in the pm you can leave the front alone, I guess I wasn't clear enough when I mentioned the union for the front and rear. :doh

What's wrong with your lower radiator?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve TLS said:
:banghead Looks like there might be enough bolt sticking out to put a nut on it, then fill it with a welder and try to undo it again. I should have said in the pm you can leave the front alone, I guess I wasn't clear enough when I mentioned the union for the front and rear. :doh

What's wrong with your lower radiator?
:doh You were pretty clear when you mentioned the union. It probably didn't register cos I was carried away with the idea of getting it done, red mist and all that.
Haven't got access to a welder so I'm trying to use a screwdriver and tap the screw out. The thing seems to be fused in, which is sort of typical with exhaust bolts. Not sure if I can use a stud remover because of the lack of protrusion.
Might end up being a patch job till the next service when I can get the shop to replace the bolt.

The lower rad may well have to be replaced after I've finished with this fix (there're a few divets on it from where I've bumped into it), hence looking for a replacement. :banghead

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tommygun fix prt 3

OK, everything back together now. Started the bike up and besides a small leak at the front manifold, thanks to the stuffup with the bolt, things seem to be working fine.
Just one last question; is there any chance that the front pipe could get spat out of the manifold into the radiator when the engine's under stress?
So far it's only held by one bolt.
If there is a risk I might garage the bike and catch public transport or something.. :O

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Should be ok TB. I wouldn't ride it on a track like that, but I'd commute to work and back.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. Thinking of calling Redwing tomorrow and getting this fixed ASAP though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts