TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever encounter an uppity rider on a BMW RT type bike? You know, the holier than thou superior kind? The kind that never wave back, the kind that will pass you on a curvy road assuming their superiority? I did today.

I was on a favorite canyon road (route 72 for the locals) stuck behind an SUV towing a trailer. After awhile of this mind numbing drudgery, a pack of sport touring bikes shows up on my tail. There was a double yellow and it was really too tight in that section to pass safely. This went on for 3 miles or so. Finally, although there was still a double yellow, enough road opened up so I could squirt past the SUV. Mindful of the group behind me, I stayed on the gas and opened up a gap big enough so they could all fit. Even gave 'em a wave up as I was passing the truck and trailer, as the road was clear. So far so good. Well, then the fun begins. :devious

The lead rider, on a RT1200, passes me in a rather rude fashion. We are approaching a town, so I was not on it, but not going slow either. That was a fairly irritating move on his part, as I had to brake to let him in. It was an agrressive and pretty "stuffish" pass in other words. Still, I recall coming across a crazy German guy who literally could ride his freakin' Gold Wing faster than I could ride my TL1000S, so perhaps he is one of those. Then I notice the license plate. It says "EXPRT". Mind you, I am not experiencing road rage, just a bemused urge to commit some inadvisable foolishness in the face of such arrogance. We clear town with me glued to the "EXPRT's rear wheel (I didn't want any of his BMW buddies to jack in front of me) and the road opens up. Game on bitch. Let's see what you got :lol

In fairness, Mr. Expert actually runs a pretty good pace. Problem is, I am on an '06 FZ1 that is very well dialed in and riding on a Penske shock and new tires. The FZ is truly 95% of what an '04 to '06 R1 is at this point. BMW guy rides smoothly at first, about 5 mph slower in the corners than I would run unencumbered by his presence. He is holding me up. We pull smartly away from his crew though. I suspect he is used to leaving others behind at this pretty decent pace. This goes on for a few miles, me riding on his tail a bike length back at all times. You would think he would wave me by. Nope.

The BMW tries harder. We all have our "tipping point" I can see he is reaching his. His lines are getting more ragged and he is hammering the throttle coming off corners. I am rolling off throttle, then feathering it back in at the apex, no brakes. Perfect "pace riding". We are going my usual fast casual speed now, but he is clearly looking a bit ragged and just killing himself. I could do it all day :lol There is enough leeway and with my bike's acceleration and braking advantage, I could have stuff passed him, but we are on the street, no need to do anything stupid and unsafe. My riding his tail was stupid enough, really. I remain bemused, having a good time, watching a guy on an RT1200 try to lose me and my FZ1 and a curvy road I know well. His saddle bags are practically touching down, the bike wobbling at times and his lines are growing tighter in some of the corners, a sure sign of fear. Gotta give him credit though, he hung in there and white knuckled it for a good 10 miles. Based on experience riding a friend's FJR1300 which is likely pretty similar capability wise, there is no way I could have ridden his BMW at that speed for that long.

Mercifully for both of us, we are nearing the end of the twisties and there is a right hander that dumps into a long straight. There is a pickup truck mid corner, BMW guy goes to pass. The sight line is literally clear for miles. I am at 8,000 rpm, feathered throttle, finger on the trigger. :cool

BMW passes truck and just as he clears the truck, hard on the gas going perhaps 100 mph, I come around at 130 and do at 12,000 rpm full throttle upshift right on his ear, still sitting upright, not even bothering to tuck in. It really is shocking what a hard running liter class I4 can do to the space time continuum. BMW recedes in the rear view mirror. I back off the gas, squidly revenge thoroughly accomplished. Rode normally after that :)

Mr. Expert and his group caught up to me later in Golden at a stop light. I looked over at him and gave a thumbs up. It was a fun playing around after all. He kept looking straight ahead and did not look at me :lol

Damn FZ1. It is seemingly the Rodney Dangerfield of motorcycles. It gets no respect. The thing is, she packs a wallop. Stupid and squidly of me to use it I know, but what the hell. I never rode to the point that I was endangering myself, and well, Mr. Expert was responsible for his attitude and throttle angle. It was fun toying with and blowing him off the road. Call me a bad man, having every advantage and using them. He started it though, darn it :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great Read!

I love stories like this...LOL!! A good friend of mine rides with a BMW guy that definitely exudes that superiority so common of riders on German makes. Charles tells me stories about the guy in his group that makes me want to ride w/them just to antagonise the old geezer. Charles had a modern (2003) Triumph Bonneville but traded it on a Concours 14 when they 1st hit the sales floor. Believe it or not, he wants his old bike back.:O I am thinking he may have pulled the trigger on the Concours purchase to shut the BMW yapper's mouth before he was carted off to jail for punching the mouthy bastard in the face. Good call...ha, ha.

I am forwarding the link to a friend with a burgandy 06 that is well set up and I know he will appreciate that you & Yamaha triumphed over another snob.

thanks for the read,
Del

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
My last encounter with someone on a BMW was a couple of years back. I was on my old GS1000E since it hadn't had her legs stretched in a while. Myself and my brother, on his GS850, came up behind the guy on a local road known for some interesting curves. He went, we followed. Unlike your guy, Duken, this guy was smooth, fast and safe. After entering a small town and stopping beside him at a light he raised his face shield, looked over and said, "Wow! A 1978 GS1000E, I used to race one of those when I was young." A brief discussion until the light turned green and then a parting of the ways with friendly waves all around and he was gone. I've looked for him since, but never found him. Too bad, good riding partners are hard to find.

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually have come across some very good BMW riders. This guy was actually pretty good when he rode within himself. Good confident lines and little braking setting up for corners. You know how once you go past that 80% level of exertion things progressively become ragged? I could see that unfolding before my eyes as he pushed harder. It some respect, it was kind of like being a riding instructor at a track day school, watching a student. I had such a machine advantage for him to overcome, plus I was running in that familiar and sporty "playing with the road" "pace" riding zone that I like to dwell in, while he was coming apart at the seams.

If the BMW guy had been some sort of Germanic superhero and run above my comfortable pace, I would have let him go, rather than chase him out of silly pride. As it turned out, his white knuckle max turned out to be in my usual "fast casual" 5,000 to 7,000 rpm sporty zone. I like riding at a spirited pace, but not so fast as to endanger myself. The FZ1 is the perfect bike for me. Fast, handles well and it is comfy. A ZX10 and the like is honestly more bike than I need. Ah, the joys of being a bit older and wiser.

Anyway, he rudely put himself in front of me. I rode my ride and he chose to not move aside and instead he rode his scary stressful looking ride. Perhaps it was not "nice" of me, but it was fun to watch Mr. big ego wriggle like a bug on a pin, unable to shake that pesky FZ1 that he so badly misjudged. It was the rude dog pass that did him in. The damn license plate was the icing on the cake.

I mentioned the crazy German on the Gold Wing in my first post. I was on my TLS at the time and had to let that nut job go :lol

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doug Gotta put people in their places sometimes. I had very similar encounter with a racer-wannabe on a Daytona 955i once. I was on my 500cc cruiser at the time. He passed rather poorly on a straight where there wasn't much point in going fast, then parked it in the first corner, I sailed around the outside with sparks flying off the inside peg and gave him a wave for good measure:laugh

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had very similar encounter with a racer-wannabe on a Daytona 955i once. I was on my 500cc cruiser at the time. He passed rather poorly on a straight where there wasn't much point in going fast, then parked it in the first corner, I sailed around the outside with sparks flying off the inside peg and gave him a wave for good measure
:lol Now that is admirable.

Big man I am, smoking some self important asshole on a touring barge with my FZ1. :thatsgay

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
From the sounds of it, he was going a lot faster than my Mr. Daytona. I'm quite sure I'd not have been able to even keep you mildly entertained on the old VF500:laugh

I also seem to remember you motoring past some CRF450X riding squids and up a rather large stone incline while on the DRZ:devious

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh well.

I am fairly certain I would not keep you mildly entertained on whatever off road bike you choose to put me on :hail

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That is likely a bit too generous, I think we'd be about equal if we were both on DRZ's.

Care to do some more dirt riding in August? Perhaps some street riding too? If all goes well you'll have the pleasure of smoking a duc mts:deal

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just want to see if I can wheelie a Duc MTS. Fairly certain I can :roost

Sounds good man. Let me know the dates. You know you have a place to stay too :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Torquy twin and comparatively long travel suspension - I may even be able to wheelie it. As for you, I'm quite sure there's not much with two wheels that you can't wheelie:laugh I know that at sea level on the HM1100 even I couldn't help but loft the front end. The MTS has roughly the same chassis and suspension, but different bodywork which adds a few lbs.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Call me a bad man, having every advantage and using them. He started it though, darn it :D
You bad man you! :laugh

Good write up. love rides where that happens. the absolute best is doing that to ducati riders but someone with expert on the numberplate well thats just asking for it:laugh

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I had something not to different with a 916 that went full throttle between parking in the corners. What a nob. I also experienced a very smooth GS pass me on the outside coming back from Willow Springs (excuse: I wasn't very familiar with that stretch of road.)

Regarding BMW's, I tend to respect airhead riders more than newer oilheads until they prove themselves. Back when I had a R100RS I often got attitude from other BMW riders who seemed to mistake their self image (i.e. expensive toys) for substance. The old RS was well received by the non-biking public and older bikers but not so much by newer BMW riders :O (some exceptions noted of course)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been wanting to get up to Taylor Park for awhile. Call me spoiled though. It is kinda far :) My mode of operation lately has been to leave the house at 6:45, get to Rampart at 7:15 and be on the trail at 7:30. Generally no day riders are there yet. The DRZ barking along the trail is the first to wake the campers. Screw 'em. The cool of the morning, with that golden early morning light, offers the best riding.

I ride to 11 or so, as the heat of the day is coming on, pack up and leave. By this time the staging area is full and riders are just kinda getting started riding, just in time for the 90 degree heat. They can have it.

Taylor Park is a good 2 hours from me. Maybe I will get up there in the fall, when it is less hot. When you get here, we could just pre load the trailer and leave stupid early. That would kick butt. Is your KTM buddy interested in joining us? I have to warn ya, I have not ridden there and am clueless. We would probably get totally lost :lol

I actually am going to be out of town the end of July and 1st few days of August for my cousin's wedding.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nice story! I used to tear up that same road myself on the TL when I lived in Denver.

Please tell me you stopped in Golden and got a pizza and a cold glass of Fat Tire (I miss that beer) at the local bar !!..... I think it was called Woodys pizza ???

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I like your usual early-morning approach:clap

I haven't checked with the KTM guy yet, my guess is he'll be there. Once I nail down a schedule I might see if one of the Denver advrider guys (perhaps Mr. KTM aka Casey) would haul my CR out there as well. The trouble for me is this event is at the same time as the Oshkosh airshow, so i'm quite torn on what I want to do - perhaps a couple of days at each:O

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please tell me you stopped in Golden and got a pizza and a cold glass of Fat Tire (I miss that beer) at the local bar !!..... I think it was called Woodys pizza
Woodys! Oh ya. Love that place. :D I took BP there, Bimati joined us too.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That was good:yumyum

1 - 20 of 21 Posts