TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`ve been thinking about it lately and purely out of curiosity I was wondering. Besides starting from a dead stop (or the wife is riding with me just to make it smoother) I typical don`t use the clutch to up or down shift during riding. It`s always a smooth transition but I commute whenever it`s not raining so I use the TLR 75% of the year. Is my clutch less riding harmful to my baby, or will it be in the long run??:confused Thanks Nick

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That's kind of like asking what kind of oil you should use:laugh

I use the clutch most of the time on the TL and almost never on the MX bikes (for shifting - use it all the time for drive/control on the MX bikes).

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I think it can be bad for the bike when transitions are not smooth. You have different rotation speeds and some mass on that. When they join with different speed there will be stress in the gearbox me thinks..

But if it the transitions are smooth it shouldn't be a problem!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I hardly use the clutch upshifting on the TL - no dramas in 50000km :coocoo

I have never used the clutch upshifting or downshifting in 30 years of dirt bike (motocross) riding/racing :O - no dramas there either :O , it is just a waste of time :coocoo ....except for launching and going to neutral of course.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Even a flick is better than nothing IMHO ... gears release alot better & easier with just the slightest pull on the clutch :O

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I can't imagine why someone would refrain from using a clutch to downshift on a sportbike? Just asking for trouble in my opinion. Best of luck with your bike.
Ken

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
clutchless upshifts for dragracing and hard acceleration. never clutchless downshift except on shifter carts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I use the clutch for downshifting and low speed up shifting.... Oh, and standing starts... smooth clutchless upshifting is all in your right wrist

·
Registered
218 Posts
I use the clutch for downshifting and low speed up shifting.... Oh, and standing starts... smooth clutchless up shifting is all in your right wrist
that is very true. I think in the beginning the main thing to remember is only close the throttle enough to release the tension on the drive train,and you need to be pretty quick with getting back on the gas.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
If you can afford to rebuild the gearbox etc why not? Personally, I dont think that the .1 second saved is NOT worth it :O

Although ... some tossers in this country believe that you need to 'double the clutch' when changing gears on bikes ... blipping the throttle between gears :rotfl
"Look at me I am genius super skills sexy cool bike man"
"DICKHEAD! 2 words fool - SYNCHRO and MESH"

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
If it's time you're after, clutchless upshifts with a shifter rod that cuts your ignition for a split second so you can keep it wide open (powershifter). The MotoGP boys seem to take times pretty serious, they use the clutch for downshifting, but the bikes are now fitted with "auto blippers"

Wasn't Keith Code the nutter who believed that you can't turn a bike by leaning alone?
And would have you prove him wrong buy trying to ride his no BS bike where you don't have any bar input. http://www.superbikeschool.com/machinery/no-bs-machine.php go on, do one of his days and prove him wrong. :devious

·
Registered
600 Posts
No clutch up shifts cause no trouble to your gear box. bike trany is made to shift clutchless.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Wasn't Keith Code the nutter who believed that you can't turn a bike by leaning alone?

Yes, and it's true.

He's also the nutter I pissed off on the TL at barber too. But that's another story on its own. :laugh

1 - 20 of 54 Posts