TLZone Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a salvagable 99 TLS a couple of months ago, and before i bought it i made sure it would run. i got it home and bought all the parts i needed for it to be road ready and i took it out for one run down the street and back. by the end it was starting to die, and i thought it was because it was running out of fuel (the low fuel light was on).

i came back the next day with more gas, and tried to start it...nothing :banghead . the most that it'll do is fire once or twice unless i use starter fluid, it'll go for a couple more then. so that leads me to believe its fuel. i can hear the fuel pump prime, so i know its working. what would cause a fuel loss? is there a fuel filter that could be clogged? if so where is it? any other suggestions will be helpful.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would try new plugs doubt the filter would be that clogged....but i guess you could do that and plugs at the same time since the tank has to come off....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they put new plugs in when i bought the bike. i didnt see what they were but he told me they were expensive :O i bought it wrecked, and whoever wrecked it, put it through a mile of mud. everything was caked in mud when i bought it.

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
They are known for fouling plugs if not warmed up every time they're started, especially the S. You might try gong to a hotter plug.

That being said, how long did the bike set before you got it? Is the tank rusting inside? Others have had problems with the fuel filter clogging and rust will do a dandy job of it. The fuel pump could be running but not putting out adequate pressure, you might want to check that as well.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
:stupid...going to change filters in the morning...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the tank looks pretty good inside, i remember because this will be the first tank ever that i wont have to por15. as for the plugs, it only ran maybe 3 times without completly warming up, so the plugs would have a total of 4 to 5 runs on them. and wouldnt i not get any fire from the engine if the plugs were bad?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Oh heck, if it fires with starter fluid or gas down the TBs then you have spark. Sure sounds to me like a problem with the injectors or fuel filter. Are the injectors snapping? Better yet, are they injecting anything? Can you hook up the fuel lines so you can still see down the TBs with the tank out of the way? Did the plug fall off an injector?

Could the fuel pump have been damaged from running dry? Really old fuel?

Maybe try some injector cleaner?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Id go for a blocked filter or jammed pressure regulator
If you cannot smell gas down the throttle bodies after a crank on the starter
Then its time to chk fuel pressure

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If your orange fuel light was on solid, along with the red check light, you probably have an error code popping up on the guage...c## or where # is some number. You'll be able to see this in dealer mode. Do a search on how to put the bike in dealer mode and then let someone on here know your fault code (if you have one). You'll need to visit this first before you start chasing your tail with other things.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
and a freshly charged battery will help the process alot!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i did the dealer mode when it wouldnt fire....c00, all clear. so it's somewhere in the fuel system. i'll have to do some studying in the manual about how the entire system is put together and where things go, it might very well be something with the injectors. also i've heard that some fuel in the oil is normal for tls's...how much is too much? when i first changed the oil, it seemed like it coulda been more fuel than oil, but who knows really.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine did the same thing.On mine it turned out to be the injectors sticking.1st check the injectors with a noid light to make sure they are getting a signal and something isnt unplugged in that circuit.Then with the tank off(I had mine set aside and still all plugged in)crank it and put your hand on the injector and you should hear abunch of clicks and feel small hits on the injector.If you dont feel that and you are getting a noid light signal then the injector is stuck.I jumped mine with a motorcycle battery and shot air thru it at the same time and they have worked fine ever since.If they are gummed up they should really be sent out and rebuilt or replaced.There was a link on here of a place that a lot of people from here used.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
TLPhoenix said:
i did the dealer mode when it wouldnt fire....c00, all clear. so it's somewhere in the fuel system. i'll have to do some studying in the manual about how the entire system is put together and where things go, it might very well be something with the injectors. also i've heard that some fuel in the oil is normal for tls's...how much is too much? when i first changed the oil, it seemed like it coulda been more fuel than oil, but who knows really.
Gas in the oil is not so common on the post '97 TLS. You do have a rich condition probably on start up. There is a place that does a very thorough injector cleaning and replaces the seals for around $50...I'm also blanking on who it was.:O

1 - 14 of 14 Posts