TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
been doing some thinking and studying other types of swingarm for a conversion to my tls
decided on an r1 swingarm using ducati suspension and linkages

just in the predesign stage looking for measurements on the swing arm pivot point before i strip, down can someone give me the width of the pivot point
(side to side)please:)

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
hi all
been doing some thinking and studying other types of swingarm for a conversion to my tls
decided on an r1 swingarm using ducati suspension and linkages[/IMG]
Is there any space for the rear exhaust pipe to go through the swingarm? :O

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Which swing arm is that Van, not TLS :O

The TLS arm is 232mm to the outside of the dust seals, the gap between the TLS frame bosses is 234mm

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
It's an R, but it does not have any bearings or dust seals installed. So, the dust seal must give you the extra 1mm.
Since people always swap R's to S's they must be the same.

I think he just wants to know if its close to the R1. Like a CBR1000 is way too wide, around 11+ inches, but the GSXR is really close, if not actually the same as the TL.

I would not cut metal with numbers from here, but I would buy ebay parts if I know it is close enough to be possible.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The pivot tube of the TLS and TLR are the same. So are GSXR from SRAD thru 2005. Same bearings, spacers, seals etc. I cut the pivot tube from a SRAD GSXR750 swingarm and welded it to a CBR954RR swingarm so as to mount to my TLS. Long slow project now on hold cuz I'm moving.
The R1 swingarm looks cool but has alotta cast parts which are not as easy to weld to as extruded. What is your plan for the rear exhaust pipe?

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Its not only the rear exhaust on an s that is the problem you have to clear the transfer pipe if yo have std headers.

here is the nibble I have taken from an r swinger bracing to make it fit

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
BTW I have a template now for the cutout if anyone needs it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I was thinking of the same swap but with the fact that the R1 swinger is
50mm longer than the TLR or TLS made me put this on hold till I could get some info on whether the Yosh beasties used longer wheelbases or not.

Tim

·
15,415 Posts
here is the nibble I have taken from an r swinger bracing to make it fit
Come on Stu, get it welded and show us your new TIG's powers :laugh

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies
looks like im 30mm too big

wonder if i can shave of 16mm each side from the frame rather than the swing arm:confused

·
15,415 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks sam
seen your thread before,any chance of you pimping out your fly cutter:)

seems your thread covers most of my questions

·
15,415 Posts
any chance of you pimping out your fly cutter:)
It doesn't work as well at it looks, on the second frame I was having to sharpen it on the mill after each 30 second blast, really needs a rethink and something with better cutting faces :confused

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shame that perhaps some sort of face cutting tool would be more apropriate

at least i can cut it with the hacksaw then possibly file flat as the bearing caps will but up against it might not need to be so flat:devious

·
15,415 Posts
I looked at trying to mill them, but couldn't figure out a way to do it :confused

I looked at trying to mount a facing cutter to the setup I used but it wouldn't of faced the whole area.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I was thinking of the same swap but with the fact that the R1 swinger is
50mm longer than the TLR or TLS made me put this on hold till I could get some info on whether the Yosh beasties used longer wheelbases or not.

Tim
Afaik they had a longer swinger! Some guy at the local dyno also said a longer wheelbase helped the TLR. A while back I had the TLR on the scales to check and it was indeed tailheavy, even with a lighter shock, subframe and lighter cans! For some reason I don't think the TLS has that same weight imbalance..:O

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
maybe the longer arm off the r1 will keep the front end down more and give more drive out of corners, also has anybody else noticed a slight speed wobble when over 150mph on their tls, longer arm will stop it.

will do some more research into rose cutters suitable for the swingarm pivot points.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
also has anybody else noticed a slight speed wobble when over 150mph on their tls, longer arm will stop it.
If you have a wobble, I would rather check the geometry of the bike and/or change the tyres.
The only situation where my race bike has these problems is on some full wet tyres. But that is definitely a tyre problem. On set of slicks it's fully stable up to top speed.

You really need a longer swingarm with alternative frames like the UNO frame that moves the engine more forward. For the stock frame there is no ultimate need.

Greetings
Rufer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts