TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that my TLS is really affected by rear tire wear. When the rear gets down close to the wear indicators, the bike suddenly feels very twitchy. Especially in fast downhill sweepers. I have experienced this with both Bridgestone 012 SS and Michelin Pilot Powers. I run a 180 on the back. I have never had a bike that was so sensitive to tire wear. Anyone else notice this? Just curious.

W

·
0 Posts
you loose the damping effect from the rubber too when your tire is near the end of it's life span. Also, when you ride a lot of highway miles, your tire will become square, and more unstable.

The TLS' rear isn't the most stable rear-end to begin with ;) I couldn't say if it was more sensitive than my other bikes concerning worn tires, but i'd say it's sensitive as it is. :yes

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wreckah said:
you loose the damping effect from the rubber too when your tire is near the end of it's life span. Also, when you ride a lot of highway miles, your tire will become square, and more unstable.

The TLS' rear isn't the most stable rear-end to begin with ;) I couldn't say if it was more sensitive than my other bikes concerning worn tires, but i'd say it's sensitive as it is. :yes
Hmm. When I have a fresh rear, the bike feels sooo much better.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
For the PP, try a 190 next. I tried both and found the bike to be a bit nervous with the 180 in long corners under hard acceleration.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rufer said:
For the PP, try a 190 next. I tried both and found the bike to be a bit nervous with the 180 in long corners under hard acceleration.

Greetings
Rufer

That was my plan. I have never tried a 190. I was hoping for a 190/55, but apparently that is not available in a Pilot Power. I figure I should be able to dial in the turn in with a 190/50 once I get my ride height adjuster. :devious

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Just get a new tire! Worn out tires just plain suck. They will feel like crap & if you keep pushing them you will wind up on your butt. I had the opportunity to go with a 190 rear with the new set of Power Race tires I bought on Friday. But they were $50 more for the set & the grip level I am getting with the 180 is fine by me. I am running them on my 6" rear wheel on my GSXR1000 & plan on running them on my 5.5" rear TLS wheels after I beat them up on the track. Don't change what you are running because the characteristics of a worn out tire!

FWIW - I had a brand new set of not mounted yet Dunlop 208GPA's sitting in the back of my truck the day I had a huge crash at the Cali Speedway back in early 2003. The tires were date stamped early 2002 & I was thinking of using them somewhat gently when I returned back on the track in 2005. The race support guy said the rear would be fine but he would be careful with the front. I was not pushing it out there so I figured I would just run them until I started to get to the point where they slid a bit. That would be my sign to pull in & get new tires. Did a few sessions at a few track days & rode out on the fast big track at Willow Springs. My second session out on the 3rd lap I lost the front going into T1 a fairly fast left hander. I caught it on my knee & got the bike upright & shook my head in disbelief as the tire gave no indication of sliding & just let go. So I saved it & reflected on how tires in good shape just don't do that. I decided to take it down quite a bit to a 80% pace or so & planned on bringing it into the pits when I came back around the track. I did 3 more turns (2 rights, 1 left) & came down the hill into the downhill left hander T5. I just started to turn in & I was on my butt in an instant. No indication what so ever, like I hit a patch of oil & away it went. Even at a conserative pace on a tire with plenty of rubber left on it that tire was worthless. Cost me $800 to fix the beast which I could have used to buy more than a couple sets of tires! Yeah, I still stuck with the Dunlops at that point & still used the same tire size because when they are in good shape they worked well. I was forewarned but needed to learn just how hard you can push a tire when it's gone. Not very hard at all...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts