TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would post a few pics of my motor rebuild progress so far. Just for interest really -----

This is a pic of some of the metal filings from the failed big-end shells in the bottom of the old TLS (97) cases. Like panning for gold!

Again, the old cases - some old repairs we found aroung the sump drain, sporting a hairline fracture as well -frightening!

Yet again the old cases - what the tech is pointing to is where the crank thrust bearing chewed into the casing because ecessive side thrust caused by the failing shells.

The new TLR cases with new crank, shells, rods, crank bearings, uprated oil pump, etc. - prior to assembly of case halves. - So much better!!

Cases now assembled, with timing gear, gearbox, new output bearing, etc., etc, - looking good eh!

Here's something interesting - a comparison between the (smaller) TLS-97 output bearing and the TLR (and later TLS) one. The TLR's bearing is significantly larger.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Thanks for the Pic's.. I love'm.. keep them coming!

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
great pictures. good point about the bigger output shaft bearings too. :thumbup

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for the pics if you have any more post em up. Im going to build the spare motor in the corner thats collecting dust:devious sometime before i dye.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Looking good Geoff, glad I could help :)

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
cool I just love pics of motors torn apart :thumbup

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
will post some more pics up soon as I get them -

Yes, Sam (Fiche-man) I thought you might recognise one or two bits there! (I owe you a big one mate, many thanks)

No Nissn1, I did consider dropping in the higher compression Wiseco pots but decided to stick with stock for now (new rings) which are in like new condition anyway. I need to keep the spiraling cost down (a bit at least) - for now! What I wanted (and have now got) is a strong bottom end - I can fiddle with the top end fairy easily later, once my credit cards recover! .:laugh :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Further progress - more pics

Well folks, things are coming along nicely now at last -----

Pistons and new rings, etc.

Barrels and heads in place - it's amazing just how short the barrels are compared to the (relatively) massive cylinder heads - a very short stroke on our motors

Cams and gears in place - notice I have opted to leave the scissor gears in too, I'm not convinced there is much to be gained by taking them out, though I accept there are clearly many differing opinions on this.

Head covers fitted - also notice the thermo/cooling system mod and the upgraded crankcase breather mod - no more cool map running or oil dumps in the airbox, etc!

motor back in the frame, at last!!:hail

Rifleman's clear clutch cover, etc., - pretty ain't it!:)

Nearing the finishing post - a lot of work has been put in here (phew)

Since these pics Mike (the Mech doing the work) has had the motor running for a preliminary - fluids topped up, ignition on, started on the first hit of the buttton!! This is before throttle body synch, remapping or anything - excellent (so far anyway).

·
15,415 Posts
Great News Geoff :hail

Well Done Mate !

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
great work :thumbup

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Good to see we're looking at another "happy ending" story :) :hail :hail

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
looks great. :hail

i definitely need to buy a lift someday.

·
15,415 Posts
Nice work -so where did you get the TLR case & crank?
Me, I converted a spare set of stronger TLR cases to TLS Oil Cooler Configuration and helped him out with a crank, new oil pump and oil seperator :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Me, I converted a spare set of stronger TLR cases to TLS Oil Cooler Configuration and helped him out with a crank, new oil pump and oil seperator :)

And rods, and output shaft - and not to mention a whole lot of excellent advice on how to put it all together!:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Great photos... thanks.... always good to see how the heart beats in the monster! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And Finally ------

Yes folks, at last, having overcome a small problem with the clutch cover 0-ring (re: other thread), the motor rebuild is complete, the TL is all back together, and is running absolute superbly - much, much better than it did before! It's really responsive now, no backfires on the overrun, and low rpm stumbles almost all gone.
Here are some pics:

Motor back where it should be.

And, back on the road -- Yes!!!!

Also, thought I'd put in a a pic of those gold 6-pots from Speedking - fantastic!

Oh, and here's the guys that did all the work getting the TL back to business, Wayne (left) and Mike (right) the tech (Mayors Motorcycle Care, Southampton). Mike did a brilliant job and they deserve the plug! (Southern UK members I recommend)

Now I'm off, RIDING, my lovely TLS!!!!!!!!!! (shame about the weather, but then again, what the hell!) Next? - getting it dynoed, tuned, more mods, etc., etc., etc.
(it never ends!)

Doc

1 - 20 of 33 Posts