TLZone Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all so I've noticed that my TLs seems to lose coolant, I have topped up the expansion bottle to the lower mark that's behind the RH fairing, I've only ridden 40 - 50 miles max and the coolant bottle is empty??
I've checked over all of the engine that I can see without removing fairings and see any leaks when running nor are their any dried water spots, no leaking pipes as its had the thermostat housing modification done before my ownership.

Any help or advice would be greatly received.

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolant leaks will have crystallized areas.
Check the weep hole on the water pump, the radiator cap, both hoses (where they attach).
that's my issue i cannot see any areas of crystallisation. nothing coming from the weep hole around the mechanical seal.

Im tempted to pull the engine anyway as a winter project, got a few things in mind for the old girl.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This isn't an experiment, the radiator is full. I haven't checked the oil as of yet but its going to have an oil and filter change soon.

Thanks for your help though.

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,754 Posts
This isn't an experiment, the radiator is full. I haven't checked the oil as of yet but its going to have an oil and filter change soon.
Neil, it would be nice to find the cause of the disappearing coolant before you put new oil in it.
No need to drop the oil to inspect it.
Is the oil level above the top line in the sight glass?
Is the color brownish/milky?

The coolant went somewhere. If the system was topped up, and there is no evidence of drips or leaks, then it may be atomizing into the air through a pinhole when the system is pressurized. Hence, no evidence on the cases or the ground. It is a stretch, but I have heard of it happening.

The only other place for it to go is into the crankcase - through the freeze plugs or the water pump seals.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like what Slx5 says above. I would also recommend taking a Cotton bud when the bikes cool and inserting it into the Tell Tale (weep) hole to see if its wet when you withdraw it. Check all connecting hoses and make sure that the coolant bottle hasn't got any cracks either. You sound certain that the radiators full, by that I deduce that you've checked it recently... Make sure the caps on properly and that the seals in good nick.

While the caps off it might be worth adding a bottle of Radweld, just incase the radiators got a sneaky leak somewhere.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,754 Posts
....... You sound certain that the radiators full, by that I deduce that you've checked it recently... Make sure the caps on properly and that the seals in good nick.
CorseofCorse's comments reminded me of another possibility - a faulty radiator cap.

If the radiator cap is failing, in that it doesn't maintain the proper pressure, the coolant could boil out through the expansion tank and the overflow tube onto the ground. Therefore, You wouldn't see any evidence of leaks, and there wouldn't be any coolant in the crankcase.
As the engine cools, it will pull the coolant left in the expansion tank back into the engine....leaving you with an empty expansion tank.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like what Slx5 says above. I would also recommend taking a Cotton bud when the bikes cool and inserting it into the Tell Tale (weep) hole to see if its wet when you withdraw it. Check all connecting hoses and make sure that the coolant bottle hasn't got any cracks either. You sound certain that the radiators full, by that I deduce that you've checked it recently... Make sure the caps on properly and that the seals in good nick.

While the caps off it might be worth adding a bottle of Radweld, just incase the radiators got a sneaky leak somewhere.

Good luck
Thanks I will look into this later when I've got some time to go through it fully.

CorseofCorse's comments reminded me of another possibility - a faulty radiator cap.

If the radiator cap is failing, in that it doesn't maintain the proper pressure, the coolant could boil out through the expansion tank and the overflow tube onto the ground. Therefore, You wouldn't see any evidence of leaks, and there wouldn't be any coolant in the crankcase.
As the engine cools, it will pull the coolant left in the expansion tank back into the engine....leaving you with an empty expansion tank.
Thanks I will hopefully have some time to go through it this weekend or next week.

thanks for the replies chaps much appreciated

Regards

Neil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts