TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally did it. The TLS is gone and I bought a Silver FZ-1 today. I bypassed the sales people when I walked in and asked for the sales manager, figuring he would be the go to decision maker guy anyway. Good guy, been in the business 20 years and a hard core bike nut.

I decided to just trade in the TLS as the dealer agreed to knock off all the prep and freight charges (saving about $700) and the bike was sale priced at $7,999. I got 3K for the TLS, so the net out the door price with tax was $5,200 and change for the new bike. Ya, 3K is a low trade in for my nice TLS, but given the overall deal with no prep and freight charges as well as the sale price on the new bike, I think I did alright. Selling my last bike was a hassle. It is worth a few hundred to me not to have to worry about some squirrel crashing my TLS during a test ride. I also saved a skosh of sales tax, as the trade in lowered the taxable amount.

They had a red FZ on the floor ready to go, but I wanted silver as it is a classy color and the otherwise very attractive burgundy red clashed with my red helmet, which is more of an orangy red like the TLS. They have to put the silver one together and I pick can pick it up as soon as Wednesday, or more likely next weekend. I figure I am going to have the bike for a long time (I had my TLS for 8 years) and I can wait a few days for the color I want. The sales manager appreciated my calm patience and assumed me (for what it is worth) he would pass it along to the shop that they have a customer who is not in a hurry and to take their time with the bike. Ah, the benefits of growing older and more patient :)

Riding my TLS to the dealer for the last time, well I about started to cry. Seriously. There are a lot of memories tied up with that bike and I am going to miss it. It will be a great ride for somebody else, I kinda prefer not to know though. My last bike, which I loved very much, went to a squid. I hate to see the same fate for my TLS. Funny how I get attached to inanimate objects.

Time for a new chapter though. I am already planning a PCIII and ignition module from Ivans Performance, and an Akro full system as the stock FZ exhaust is shit from what I read, with headers that are too short for midrange power and 2 cats plugging it up, limiting it's top end to 132hp. Just as well, as the stock can is fugly anyway. It will probably have less than 500 miles on it before it gets replaced.. Judging by the dyno charts I see, a set up and properly mapped FZ with a full exhaust picks up 10 hp in the midrange and it should make 100 hp at 7,000 rpm, just like my TLS, with 147-150 hp on top. Set up like this, the FZ significantly outpowers the R1 at sub 10,000 rpm engine speeds. That should do for my need for speed and the bike fits me very well. I look forward to some long fast rides on it in the pretty Colorado countryside. It will get a good hard break in on this road, which is scant 15 miles from my house and often rideable on random 55 degree days during the winter months :)

http://duken4evr.homestead.com/files/bikeshots/Open_Road.jpg

So this the new bike. I will put up some real pics after I get it and add a few mods. I will of course continue to haunt this place :hail

http://duken4evr.homestead.com/files/bikeshots/FZ-1.jpg

http://duken4evr.homestead.com/files/bikeshots/FZ-2.jpg

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I am glad you got what you wanted! :hail

Now, I have ridden the last FZ-1 and while it is fun, it ain't a Tiller, so hopefully the V-twin vibrating side will be satiated by riding the DR-Z.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Will I, wont I?

Done deal! Enjoy it. :thumbup

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I guess it isn't near as gay as a friggin' Gixxer.:lol

·
Registered
676 Posts
Good choice on the FZ1. I just got back from Paris for a week and saw a few FZ1's. None with the fairing, just a oval headlight like what is on the new BMW 1200r. Nice bike, good smart decision. Have fun and lets see some pics!!

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
johnnies coming to CO...
:banana

congrats craig.
:thumbup

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ya, forgot to add, Competition Werkes is going to get a sale as well. The rear license plate "appendage" cleanly unbolts and the bike has a smooth undertail look without it. It is like Yamaha designd it to be easily removed in anticipation of everyone removing them. Must be a DOT regs compliance thing :laugh

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...funny you posted about your color choice, I just left the dealer near my house trying to convince my wife into a new ride and they had a silver CN model sitting on the show room floor (brand new) ready to go...:yes, I'd stick with the silver:yes...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Here is to a fresh new ride:thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Cool:thumbup enjoy it and post up how ya like it, fuel range etc:cool

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
Duken U traitor :kicknuts

:laugh

Nice trade :thumbup thoose FZ-1 are wicked and is what I would buy if I was in the market and with your plans lots of power and good ridingposition :thumbup

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Dont be a stranger Duken ........... i likes the FZ1 :yes ......... good choice

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, you don't need to worry about me, I am not going anywhere.

I will post pics and impressions as I empty my wallet getting it up to the same spec my TLS was :laugh

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, can't wait to see pics.
I keep getting the itch for something new, but just can't bring myself to sell the TL

·
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it at Vickery. The price was good and they are literally about 2 blocks from where I work :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Good deal. If I wasn't in the process of buying a house I would do the same thing you just did.
Am I the only one who wants a FZ-1 but with the HP and wet weight of a 06 ZX-10? Guess I'll have to make one myself. Wouldn't be that hard, not a lot of clutter under the plastic on the ZX. Speedo is real small easy to relocate.:confused
Do the 04 ZX-10's have a triple mounted steering dampener? I know the 06's do. That would have to go for a riser kit.:devious
Thats it I'm doin it!

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
I think about making a change often. If I come across a dealer who will deal on a Busa or an Aprilia, I'll probably let the TLS go. Tough decision though. Everytime I start the TL up, I fall in love all over again. Decisions, decisions.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Nice score. Please make sure that no money goes to Ivan's Performance though.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts