TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a gear indicator for the 97 TLS any directions how to make your own?
Any suggestions where to get one?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
If you know how to solder and make a simple circuit, I could tell you how. It's a tad iffy on the first to second gear change (the LEDs flicker back and forth), but it works pretty good. Day and night illumination, dot vs bar display and can incorporate a TRE.

The first to second indication could be fixed, but I quit messing with it long ago. I wish Suzuki would have made a better resistance change for this area, but gotta work with what they give you.

Hard to imagine ever bike doesn't have this option.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I was on a quest to build an advanced GPI/ TRE with a digital indicator(Click here to see it) but the fact of the matter is the Gear Position Switch (GPS) on the bike sucks shit. It is scary to know that my bike (and many others) is defaulting to a neutral ingintion map :puke

The stock GPS is unreliable. Pedro made a voltage comparater version BUT it would not work on my bike because of the shitty GPS. Since I could not build one that would work on all bikes not matter what I scrapped the project.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I was once on a quest to make a nifty Gear Position Indicator (GPI)(Click to see)

The problem was the the Gear Position Switch on the bike is a bad design -my bike for example was always on a neutral ignition map :puke This wa fixed with a TRE. Since I could not make a GPI that would work on any/ every bike I scrapped the project.

Pedro used a voltage comparater to sense the resistance values. His way worked on MOST bikes and is a good design.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well, I just fitted the little gadget to my 97 TLS and it works absolutey flawlessly.:) It's the 'Glpro' gear indicator and ATre. It indicates each gear accurately and instantly, and even indicates a false neutral! It has a built in learning program (mine worked perfectly without using this) and the display automatically adjusts brightness according to ambient light.
Moreover it has a built in ATre which is selectable, at the touch of a button, for tre off, 4th, 5th, or 6th gear map. It automatically switches off when in neutral, so no tick-over problems. Of course I have only just fitted it so time will tell how good it performs over time.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Please don't bombard me with PM's about this circuit. It works like described above. Mine is still on my bike and I love it.

It's a simple voltage divider that outputs based on the input voltage. It uses regulators so the power is constant. If you put a small trim pot in series with the 10,120 and 670 resistors, it will give you some adjustment to get the 1st to 2nd change better. The +5.80 volts is what sets up the divider, adjusting this voltage will broden or narrow the voltages that LEDS change.

It will lay out like drawn on an etchable board. If someone makes a million of these, please make an extra for me as I am far to lazy to build another.

If you build it with a trim pot and need it adjusted, PM and I will set it up on my spare GPS sensor.

This would remove your GPS from your bike and you will need a TRE. If you are wise, you can include this in your circuit. Nuetral is open and 5th gear is some resistance and 6th gear is another resistance (I can't remember what they are and I am too lazy to look it up).

If your bike burns down and you lose a toe, it's not my fault. Mine works fine, if yours doesn't....you didn't do it right.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Oh yeah, don't hook the IC up backwards. It will emit a spark on your wires and burn up your LEDs and your IC. Don't ask how I know. It's a pain to desolder and troubleshoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts