TLZone Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 TLS won't start. I replaced the fuel pump because it was seized up from old fuel in a hot climate. The replacement seems to prime ok but when I crank it over, I get no spark. Have tried a little ether in the airbox and it does spark for a few seconds so I am guessing it's fuel delivery. Is it possible the injectors are also gummed up? Appreciate your collective wisdom.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Make sure your tip over sensor is mounted correctly, and plugged in. Has a white two wire connector, and the sensor wires are black, and black with white stripe. Mounted by the Vacuum damper, in front of battery. I left mine unplugged by mistake, and same thing. Sparka, and fire injectors a couple of times then stop. Backfires, etc.

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,619 Posts
My 97 TLS won't start. I replaced the fuel pump .... The replacement seems to prime ok but when I crank it over, I get no spark...... it does spark for a few seconds so I am guessing it's fuel delivery. Is it possible the injectors are also gummed up?....
Make sure your tip over sensor is mounted correctly, and plugged in. ....., and same thing. Sparks, and fire injectors a couple of times then stop. Backfires, etc.
+1 on the TOS.

PezTLS, If you have verified that it only sparks for a few seconds, the TOS is likely the problem. It should generate an error code, but not always.
It takes the ECM a few seconds to process the TOS error. Then it stops ignition and fuel delivery.

Clogged injectors won't prevent the plugs from sparking. Of course, the injectors may still need to be serviced, but they are not preventing the spark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks so much for the tips. I checked the TOS and it is mounted correctly and still plugged in. I checked fuel pressure as per the manual (yes I downloaded it and it's really helpful). Didn't use a pressure gauge, just removed the fuel pressure check bolt and turned on the ignition (had a container ready). Plenty of fuel pumping out at decent pressure. The only test that didn't seem to work was the 'fuel discharge amount inspection' on p289 or 4-51. I'm not sure which is the fuel return hose. I tried the one with a coil around it like the picture but I think that's the feeder hose from the tank.

Still firing up if I spray ether into the air box but not otherwise. And I don't want to make a habit of the ether as i think it's not friendly to the engine.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,619 Posts
.... I'm not sure which is the fuel return hose. I tried the one with a coil around it like the picture but I think that's the feeder hose from the tank.

Still firing up if I spray ether into the air box but not otherwise. .....
Pez, The fuel return hose is the one between the pressure regulator and the fuel tank. It is the smaller diameter hose, and it usually has a spring around it. The "feeder hose" or the pressurized incoming fuel line, has the blue retaining clips on each end.
If you can get 30 ml of fuel coming out of the return line during the prime cycle, the fuel pressure is likely OK.

The fact that it starts when you spray ether directly into the throttle bodies is a strong indication that the injectors are clogged up. It is unable to deliver the fuel it needs for startup.

Now that you have the shop manual, have you checked for other error codes while you are cranking it over?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, but you said originally, that you didn't have continuous spark. It should fire a spark, every other revolution. Cam sensor plugged In? At rear cam cover, right side,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all. Six5, the return line is not giving me anything but it's pumping fine from the fuel pump. no error codes on the display. So I think it's most likely the injectors - that's my next job...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts