TLZone Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
ok many thanks for the advise will take on board what u have said . I did try and put the arm in with the dust cover on but it was 1/8 to big so I took 1/16 off each side will just have to work out any problems when I come to it , just hope its not that bad will have to either make or shave done spacers thanks anyway

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
it was 1/8 to big
I don't know how you arrived at that figure cos evry one I've fitted has been the correct size.:confused

Reactions: cham

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
ok thanks for the advise I have managed to find an R1 04 shock for 50 pound , and a ducati 999 showa shock for 100 pound . Which one is the better one to buy and get ,and then have it serviced with a 1100 lbs spring put on it am not to bothered about making the brackets up , or getting them of adstl . Does the shock need to be as upright as possible or will it b ok at the angle where the rotary damper used to be would be grateful for the advise in the right direction many thanks
im not bothered either good luck invisibly mounting the shock lol

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I wonder why im the only one with my own brackets and a hornet 900 shock? oh i know why, its because my bike and me are SPECIAL.:lol

Reactions: Perky

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
I wonder why im the only one with my own brackets and a hornet 900 shock? oh i know why, its because my bike and me are SPECIAL.:lol
Honda not sold enough 900 hornets for people to crash them, lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
but chams special looks good its taken him a lot of time to get it to look like that . Any way im new to all this conversion stuff ,I am just trying to make my bike much better in the suspension department

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
but chams special looks good its taken him a lot of time to get it to look like that . Any way im new to all this conversion stuff ,I am just trying to make my bike much better in the suspension department
Making the rear better is easy
How much better??
Better and cheap
Or better and good
Standard tls arm is cheap, but as you're going the tlr arm route it's more involved but budget will play a part
Do you want to move the battery??
Etc
The choice is yours,

·
Registered
56 Posts
at the moment better and good if I can ,but if I could afford a TL1000R ohlins shock to put in I would but trying to find a second hand one is like rockin horse ---- . That is why I was asking u guys as your the experts with the brains ,as I have finished the busa front end on my bike .

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Well as you can see from this thread, there's plenty of options, cham has the hornet shock,adstl has a cbr600 shock, bigborett has a Ducati 1098, all fitted to a tlr arm, Toledo has a very nice 2011 cbr600rra shock. On his, and I'll be running a 1098 on a modified tls arm but the 04-08 R1 should give good resultsusing the r1 and some brackets like I'll be using you'll be able to lean the shock over to get around the length issue, much like cham and bigborett have done

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Sorry to correct you Gaz, but my brackets are not lent over, they are just a different shape with same mounting points as the ohlins type brackets,i.e- useing top subframe holes as my top mount supports.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Sorry to correct you Gaz, but my brackets are not lent over, they are just a different shape with same mounting points as the ohlins type brackets,i.e- useing top subframe holes as my top mount supports.
You used bigborett drawing as a pattern didn't you??

·
Registered
5,138 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Your not the only one with your own brackets Cham.

An 1100lb spring is a good starting point and will be in the ball park, but it will depend on your mounting and weight. I run an 1150, I weigh near enough to 100kg and have my shock layed over than most. My sag is spot on for spirited riding and only have 10-12mm of preload.
In my opinion you will get a better shock action with your directly mounted shock layed over to some degree. A fairly vertical shock is going to give you very close to a decressing rate. That is not what you want.
Also, if you are using a shock with spring, I think a four hole bracket is a better option.
All these options are going to better than an old rotary.

·
Registered
56 Posts
many thanks for the advise u guys u are a wealth on knowledge . Can u believe I have just been to the motorbike shop as I need the outer piece on my rear caliper , but they don't sell them in two halfs . You have to buy the complete caliper which is 327 pound to me what a joke . Ebay here I come also do any of u guys know what the distance is between the two bolt holes on a R1 shock would be grateful for an answer thanks

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Sorry if i punctuated it wrong or missled you Andrew, i know you have your own brackets, i ment useing my own brackets with a Hornet shock combined which i dont think has been done before. It was just a joke to say im special mate.:lol

Reactions: bigborett

·
Registered
719 Posts
Sorry if i punctuated it wrong or missled you Andrew, i know you have your own brackets, i ment useing my own brackets with a Hornet shock combined which i dont think has been done before. It was just a joke to say im special mate.:lol

Your special to me Cham.:puke:laugh:laugh

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would be very grateful if someone out there can help me . I am in the process of doing a centre shock conversion with a R1 shock have all but finished doing it , but am having trouble trying to get some high tensile bolts as I only want 3 . I have rung up 6 places and they wont sell them on there own only in boxes of 50 or 25 in a box as I am after 3 different lengths . would be grateful if anyone knows were i can get some from many thanks .

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
EBay

41 - 60 of 100 Posts