TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellas,

Trying to stay busy, doing the jobs on the bike I have spares for. Bought a set of fork seals/bushes for the bike some years ago, but since the bike has only done 17k, didn't seem worth changing the top & bottom bushes, until now.

In the past have only changed the fork oil & seals, so now I have lots of free time, thought I would do the bushes. Got the windy gun out, and slackened the cap screws under each fork leg that retain the damper cartridge. saw a tiny weep from each, so assumed I'd slackened them enough to remove when necessary. However ..........

After stripping one of the forks, the retaining screw won't let go of the damper rod. put the leg back together and tightened the top nut to tension the spring; still no joy. Made a windlass (anyone remember what one of those are?) and held the fork in the vice and used it to tension the spring down further, perhaps another 15% ..... but the damper is still rotating with the screw.

Apparently, there is a holding tool that slides over the damper rod in the fork, and holds the cartridge sufficient to remove the screw. Suzuki part No. 09940-30221. It's only a bit of tube with a slot cut in the bottom, but this thing costs £116 (getting on for 200 bucks! For a bit of tube!

If anyone out there has such an item, or has made their own, could I please have the dimensions of it? At the moment, I'm stuck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rickysnicker, you are an absolute star! Got a freind who's a plumber/heating engineer, and even with lockdown, I should have a piece of this in my sticky mitts within a day or so.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thanks for the nice compliment. However the owner of that site is the one to be thanked for taking the time to do all that. I hope you get up and running soon :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
30mm x 51cm x 1.5mm wall thinkness, steel tube.

The cross shaped tabs are 11.5mm wide x 4mm deep, that makes the groves about 10mm wide.

That's from the tool I made and it worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks to you too, twin2. Can't believe the official holding tool is so expensive. It's bad enough having to pay fortunes for OEM spares without having to bend over for something you can fashion yourself in no time. Here's an 'after' pic of the offending fork once I'd made your tool, which is at the top of the pic. Once again, thanks for the info.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Many thanks to you too, twin2. Can't believe the official holding tool is so expensive. It's bad enough having to pay fortunes for OEM spares without having to bend over for something you can fashion yourself in no time. Here's an 'after' pic of the offending fork once I'd made your tool, which is at the top of the pic. Once again, thanks for the info.
Glade to share.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts