TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this happened to someone else, or is there something that could cause it? I had 2 clutch bolts shear last week, took the precaution of replacing all of them. Less than 200 miles later another (brand new bolt) shears.

Can a badly adjusted clutch cable do this, or is there something else? Am I that unlucky! :banghead

:cheers

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional: I used a torque wrench to just over 10Nm (according to the manual).

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May be I should have not over tightened them by going over the 10Nm suggested in the manual?

....errrrr, anyone? 30 odd views and not even a rubbish guess! :laugh

·
Registered
664 Posts
Strange, i tighten my pressure plate down in a triangular pattern with a 1/4 drive ratchet and 10mm socket.

Have you done any recent repairs to the clutch?? Has it been apart etc etc

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Mike! :banana Thanks for commenting :thumbup I did tighten in a triangular pattern. No repairs at all to the clutch, never caused a problem at all. The local spanners might have been there, so I'll ask 'em tomorrow what they did and if they reckon they put anything back wrong. Sadly I didn't see if they'd aligned the dots on the slipper thing (the thing the bolts sheared into) before I took it off.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If i were you, id be downloading the S manual, then remove the clutch pack, then following the manual re-assemble it correctly.

Its got the hall marks of "not being assembled correctly" to me, invest time reading the manual and in particular the clutch section, that way you should be able to spot the issue during your inspection.

Just out of curiosity, is all your engine covers siliconed on or have they the OEM gaskets??

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got the haynes and workshop manual already, I've followed the haynes so far, but not removing the clutch basket at all, just the nut and slipper thingy. I'll dig in further tomorrow and also contact the spanners that pulled it apart in the first place.

Silocon free engine covers over here, although I did recently do THIS MOD and so far so good "fingers crossed smiley"! I did originally do the silicone method and it did hold for a while, I do have more confidence in this method though...time will tell.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
you've got the thing assemble with the cam in the srong position.

this is causing the springs to rub on the pressure plate when its operating and breaking the posts off.

pull it apart and assemble it again.

make sure the posts are in the middle of the holes in the pressure plate before you add the springs.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Ring-in, cheers for contributing :thumbup

I'll ask to see if they took the cam out and put it in wrong.

here's a pic if it helps? :dunno

I'll pop out to the garage and check, in case the markings for re-assembling are on both sides

:thumbup

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, I'm gonna look at this in the morning...

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ring-In was Ring Right :thumbup - it was badly re-assembled by the bike shop :banghead

Because of an up and coming bike rally (this Thursday), I've created a begging thread asking anyone for the bolts I need (that sheared) HERE. Fingers crossed :hail TLZone :yes

·
Registered
501 Posts
Give Redcar a ring on 01162 661 637. Ask for Gareth or Nigel :) Normally they can order in same day, and ship 'em out to you the next so there's a good chance you'd get them in Wednesday's post. Gareth's never let me down yet :thumbup

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers Junkie :thumbup Looks like Chris_TL1000 is going to help me out in a big way :banana But thanks mate :yes

I'll keep their number for any future needs, ta!

·
Registered
501 Posts
You're welcome :thumbup

I use Redcar for all my parts as they can generally get pretty much any OEM part in next day, which gets shipped out straight away for delivery the following day. The service is tops and Gareth used to have a TL-R too :D

They can usually get parts in more quickly than a certain Suzuki dealer close to us anyway, even buying via mail order... :)

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scorcheo :)

Do they have a website? Had a look around and couldn't find 'em :dunno

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah haaaaa, fanx dude :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'll have to start offering TL servicing for Surrey, Sussex and Kent TL owners :devious
These horror stories you hear from people who use bike shops :banghead

Ring-In was Ring Right :thumbup - it was badly re-assembled by the bike shop :banghead

TLZone :yes

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have to start offering TL servicing for Surrey, Sussex and Kent TL owners :devious
These horror stories you hear from people who use bike shops :banghead
:lol I reckon you can at least offer a V-Twin service with your current level of experience. Cheers again for dropping those clutch bolts of Chris, really do appreciate it :hail

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wanted to update this thread, to say the problem was caused by the clutch being reassembled improperly :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts