TLZone Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello all... I just picked up another TLS headlight and I have access to the clear lenses, so...

I was thinking of possibly making these, one at a time, on an exchange basis (you pay me, PLUS give me your GOOD CONDITION headlight in exchange so I can keep the process going).

I would ONLY do the style I did for myself, which is a plug and play swap, and NOT HIDs with Halos, etc... click here for pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghost360mafia/sets/72157622685712218/ I think it looks fantastic, and it would plug right in without you needing to wire/fit ballasts, etc...

I would let you pick what color(s) you want inside the lens but this would be limited to basic colors only (white, black, etc...) as I don't have the ability to match paint or OEM colors.

I think I can do these for around $250.00 +exchange of your headlamp assembly.

I can do it much faster than mine now that I have been through the process but I can't really quote a time just yet. 1-2 weeks would be FAST, 2-3 weeks may be more reasonable. The more I do, the faster I'll get!

I would require 50% up front ($125.00) and I would complete your headlight. Once it is done you would then need to send me the other $125.00 and your headlamp for the exchange and I would ship the new one to you.

Your downtime using this "build first" idea would only be the shipping time to me, and back to you of the OEM headlamp/and your new one.

I had a few people contact me to do these for them, with their headlight, but I was scared to cut into their's without a "backup"... so this way, if things go horribly wrong, I can just refund your deposit and your bike/headlamp was never touched. Also, I would be providing the clear lenses so you wouldn't have to hunt one down.

Ask anyone who has done this and they will probably say I'm crazy to even do these... and they would all probably agree that the price is fair based on how much work, time, and even materials go into this.

Your hedlamp exchange must be in good condition with no cracks/breaks/rash so that the next one I make can look nice for the next buyer. (front of lens can be scratched, that part will be removed).

Note your interest, and IF we decide to do them, they will be done in the order that gets posted here.

I also welcome any questions or comments about anything to do with this process. PM me if you feel more comfortable with that.

1.)
2.)
3.)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I wish I could take advantage of this. Good luck.

Bump

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
That method of modification would be illegal here, as you have taken away all the beam deflection/definition by removing the original lense, but have put nothing back to re-direct the light pattern :no How to you maintain a dip pattern with that method :confused There can't be any differentiation between main and dip beam other than the shielding provided by the bulb itself :O

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The photos you see above were before I made deflectors/reflectors for the bulbs... and you still have aiming with the OEM adjusters. It may still be illegal, but I did add those with my final design.

I know the US is way more acceptable of this type of thing, so if you aren't sure, then I wouldn't do the mod. I don't think they care too much about us over here... :laugh

·
Registered
184 Posts
Can you do TLRs if the "original" is sent in to assemble the first one?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you do TLRs if the "original" is sent in to assemble the first one?
Would prefer not to... as mentioned in the details above, I would prefer to mock up an "extra" in case something happens to yours... plus, you would be without a light for a while. Also... I've never done an R, although they look the same (or even easier in the case of the curvature of the lens).

Thanks for asking though... If I ever get creative I'll PM you. :devious

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be interested after the holidays :yes
Money is just too tight right now.
I completely understand, (says the guy with 3 kids)... if this thread dies, just PM me when you are ready and I'll see if I'm still up for it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Do you have beam cutoff with this setup? I can't imagine how. The diffuser lens served a purpose and that's why some, myself included, go with projectors to maintain the correct beam pattern. Don't mean to piss in your cheerios but that's an important safety/inspection topic to consider.

You're already doing the hard part, what about an option to install the projectors before the lens goes on?

·
Registered
230 Posts
So what is the exact difference in yours vs. stock with the deflectors? I am totally interested in this but never thought of the issue of safety.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm interested but I probably wouldn't be able to do until Jan. Got to get Christmas out of the way. I have too many things currently on order for my bike that I have to pay first. Plus my old crackberry phone broke on me over the weekend :banghead and I had to buy a new phone. (Droid Eris) :devious

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have beam cutoff with this setup? I can't imagine how. The diffuser lens served a purpose and that's why some, myself included, go with projectors to maintain the correct beam pattern. Don't mean to piss in your cheerios but that's an important safety/inspection topic to consider.

You're already doing the hard part, what about an option to install the projectors before the lens goes on?
I don't know al the details and exact patterns. When I first did it (as shown in the pic in the 1st post) I got a very harsh bright pattern, but is was spread very well. Now that I have built deflectors (NOT shown in the above picture) The light from the bulbs is no longer direct, but bounced into the reflectors and then out in a much less harsh spread. (just like you see on autos with clear lenses, which is what I based my design on).

I'm sure it's not near as good as projectors and the soft spread you get, as I do get some hot spots, but it's much better than what I did when I had no deflector.

As far as legality goes... at least where I'm from, I couldn't EVER see getting pulled over for this... they simply don't care. I would remind anyone and everyone that this is more than likely not "legal" just by the front lexan/plexi alone, as it isn't a DOT certified lens.

I completely understand where you are coming from... but my main problem with the projectors/halos was all the additional wiring and balasts. I can do the work no problem, but I wanted a "plug and play" setup that worked with all factory wiring and hi/low switches, etc...

I'm actually considering doing one with projectors/halos just for the experience, but nearly any decent setup would add around $200.00 to the cost for the projector kits which would put this at $450.00 plus exchange which was another hurdle I didn't think anyone would want to jump.

I appreciate all the input... and this is one reason for doing a feeler... I may decide NOT to with great comments/suggestions like these.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what is the exact difference in yours vs. stock with the deflectors? I am totally interested in this but never thought of the issue of safety.
See above post... there is nothing except the clear lens that I can tell... the pattern on the OEM lens breaks up the light and softens the overall beam. Even with the deflectors I built to bounce the light off the silver reflectors (and to keep the heat off the lens which it was in danger of melting) I still get hot spots, but it is not blinding like it was. The projectors eliminate this problem because the lens in front of the bulb spreads/softens the light (and I assume takes care of the heat issue too).

·
Registered
790 Posts
Actually I was talking about beam cutoff like shown in the picture, which keeps you from blinding others. Was just curious.

About the heat issue and hid projectors possibly being cooler, I'd say probably not. These things are like little skillets when on and you can feel the heat radiating from them like a heat lamp.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually I was talking about beam cutoff like shown in the picture, which keeps you from blinding others. Was just curious.

About the heat issue and hid projectors possibly being cooler, I'd say probably not. These things are like little skillets when on and you can feel the heat radiating from them like a heat lamp.

Oh... nope... no beam cutoff... I'm blinding people then! :laugh

My bulbs, without deflectors had pinpoint heat going to the lens and if I hadn't noticed it when it VERY first began to warp the lens it would have been a disaster. This is the actual reason I made the deflectors, but deep down I knew I needed them for help against blinding people... as much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im interested, I was actually just on another forum asking someone about it.
I too wont have the cash until after the holidays, but IDK I kinda wanna see if you go through with the projector style, cuz i like that better and thats what I was originally looking for.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im interested, I was actually just on another forum asking someone about it.
I too wont have the cash until after the holidays, but IDK I kinda wanna see if you go through with the projector style, cuz i like that better and thats what I was originally looking for.
Doesn't look too promising... as a matter of fact I'm going to officially label this offer as closed.

Probably a bad time of year, but I thought I'd have offers by now.

I have a good TLS headlight and a clear lens... but I don't know if I feel like doing projectors/halos... even for myself.

Sorry... but thanks for the interest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts