TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today was the big day. At last, after two months and a total rebuild which cost a bloody fortune I was finally to collect my lovely TLS from the workshop!:)
So, Down to the shop I go and Mike the mech is doing some final tweaking on the dyno (yes, the one it died on last time!). No problems this time, though, it's pulling like a frigging train, gas/air is fine, and running up the revs real fast, a whole load faster than it ever was before!!:) :)
Excellent, me thinks, and I'm already grinning like a Cheshire cat just at the thought of taking it for a test run (and it's nice clear day for it).

So, fires her up, and off we go - and go it does!!! Not even bedded in from the rebuild and it's just so incredibly strong. I'm keeping the revs down (for a run-in period) but the motor is really spinning up fast, everything is just running great.:) :) :)

So, happy as a pig in the poo, back to the workshop I go to let Mike know how it's going, pulls up and he comes out to check it over. ARHHHHHH!!!!!!. there's pigging shit loads of oil dumping out of the freaking clutch cover and all over my nice new Pilot Power rear frigging tyre!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead

After all the hard bloody work, and waiting (and cash!) the f!"£$King poxy f!"£"$%king prat faced, dumb arsed, poxy muther f!"£"$$king spastic plastic f!"£$king clutch cover has now decided to give me shit!!!!!:banghead :banghead :banghead :fire :fire :fire :bash :bash :banghead :banghead :banghead

Mike reseated it, sealed it, etc., etc., but it's still leaking and I am now really really F!"£"$$%KED OFF!!

Very sorry for the above outbust chaps, but I feel just a little pee'd off at the mo' and needed to share this with some people who understand (i.e not the wife!)

Doc

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
indeed its a kick in the teeth allmost there now tho and thats a huge +

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, you're right of course, I should be happy as it's a relatively minor prob I suppose.
Thing is I thought I had this licked - it's a 97 TLS for sure (excepting the TLR cases and bits?) but the clutch cover (clear conversion by Rifleman) is a 98 with the new upgraded O-ring. We tried gasket sealant as well but, alas, this has not proved to be a success.
Iv'e done a search but this served only to confuse me further. Would appreciate any suggestions at this stage????

(I should add, this cover was leak-free before taking it off for the rebuild - why then should it start leaking now? and with a new upgraded O-ring?)

Doc

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
No reason to get dissapointed... It's just a cover..
WHen I read the title, I thought the motor blew up again...
Fortunately, the cover will be dead easy to be replaced with a clear one and all the goodies that come with it :laugh

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
I use silicone sealant used around bath/sinks available from any hardware shop, or if you're feeling flush with the loot then visit a chandlers (boats) and pick from some of the sealants you can get in there.

Or I could send you a tube of some super-sealant I blagged from the RAF :devious

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Screw the plastic cover and get a Vandriver billet job .Waaaayy better and looks totally trick .

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
+1 on getting a billet cover:yes...

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
the trick is getting it all clean... then just about any sealant will work.

put it on the side stand, pull the cover and the O-ring and wash it all with soap and water so that things are clean and oil free. Fill the O-ring grove with your sealant and press the O-ring into the sealant. Make sure it's all in the grove and right, if it's not it will get pinched or cut and will leak for sure.

clean off the case face so that it is oil free.... and then bolt up the clear clutch cover....

let it cure for about an hour

re-torque the bolts

give that rear tire a good wash down with soap and water, and a good hosing with Westley's Bleach White....

spit spot, good as new.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
+1 on the cleaning!!!!! can't stress how important it is to clean both the cover and mating surface...i use Brake clean cause it totaly breaks down ANY oil and leaves a dry surface then follow torque specs and you're done that is unless you need to file/sand down the little metal sleeves to get a good even seal...best of luck...

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
They didn't put a 97 o-ring on did they? They are smaller and it will never seal if it's the wrong one.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
good to hear your bike's up and leaking.........tl clutch covers are shite.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I had the same problem a year ago. Took it to the shop and they charged me 250 note for a problem that in the end did not solve. Hard to find these days as they dont make them anymore but I have a yoshi cover that is fantastic and has never leaked since.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again guys, so:

For now, at least, I'm going to try and fix the plastic cover. A good point made regarding the new o-ring, I'm not sure if Mike got the 97 one (which is still available - why??) or the 98-on. Can you tell visually, as the present new one doesn't look that much different to the old one?

Yosh cover - can't find any, seem as rare as dragons poo!

Vandrivers cover - does it got a clear window? How much does it cost? Is he still making them?

Doc

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
The 97 cover has a timed o ring that the tang is on the outside, which allows the oil to escape from inside the seal, the newer ones have the tang on the inside.
I would not buy anything new until you have tried the cheaper alternative.
Firstly put your cover on a flat surface, you could then slide it to check for distortion, if you can't tell sprinkle some flour or salt on the surface then slide.
Once you have established that it is flat, go to Halfords and buy some liquid gasket, clean the O ring hen apply the gasket around the O ring, take care not to apply too much. Torque up the bolts and allow the gasket to harden.
This should do the trick Geoff.

Good luck mate
:thumbup

1 - 20 of 29 Posts