TLZone Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Finally went for fast ride after dynoing bike 2 weeks ago, and was very impressed with top end. Don't know if it's my homemade oil breather or my airbox stuff, maybe a little of each. I did the mod where you remove flapper and open up tunnel as much as possible under filter. Basically band aiding the way-too-small stock airbox as much as you can without getting too midaeval. I jumped on highway and watched needle roll past 165mph like it used to sweep past 145. I have 18/43 gearing so I am guessing it was really about 152 or so ( this is just educated guess here). Anyway, after glancing at speedo I rolled out of it and looked agin to make sure it was right, that's how hard it was still pulling. Pulled off hiway and cruised home, tried to top it today but the fuzz was out.Anyway, my old TL with same gearing wouldn't pull to 170 indicated, so I am stoked. Anyone else do this airbox mod and notice more steam on top?
john

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
After fitting a modded / gutted box to my TLS I was able to top it out in 5th gear (17/40) - something it wouldn't do before the mod.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I did remark a change, but not huge.
It ran about 260 at the end of the Parabolica (Hockenheim GP track) with stock airbox back in 2005. That was with stock gearing and 190/50 tyre.
With Airbox mod it ran about 265 kph at the same place one year later. Same gearing but with 190/55 tyre!! Thus about 7% faster.

With 16/39 I can almost hit the rev limiter in 6th. It revs a little bit more than 9500 in 6th, quite ideal. Of course with 190/55 tyre.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. I would say a 7% increase is substantial. That is effectively +10mph on top end, and I don't think airbox mods alone will get close to that, but combined with the usual other tricks made it possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts