TLZone Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am not running ram air tubes can i just cut the whole inlet deal on the bottom of the box off and open up the whole center of the filter area??? What would i do with the vacum lines that run the flapper valve if i did remove and open up the bottom of the airbox?? Could i just use my PCII to sort out the tuning after i remove all of the ram air stuff???

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...your going to be sucking in a lot of hotter air from right around the engine if you do that...why do you want to take all of the ram air gear off?

·
Registered
471 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What?

If i remove the lid then unfiltered air will be going straight into the throttle bodies!! This is an TLS not an TLR. I want more power down low instead of at redline! BX my bike is a streetfighter, so no plastic at all!! I have been running without ram air tubes for about a year now and the bike runs great!!
But if i remove the whole tube the flapper valve is in and the rest of the ram air tubes in between the cylinders can i expect it to still be tunable, and then what do i do with the leftover vacum lines? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
you get rid of the lines:devious
you don't need the red bits after you get rid of the flapper valve and actuator

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...good to know, but I don't know if the PC can fool the stock ECU enough to compensate for all that extra air flow with out the "intact" air box?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
...good to know, but I don't know if the PC can fool the stock ECU enough to compensate for all that extra air flow with out the "intact" air box?
a power commander can go something like +- 20% so will easily handle taking off the airbox lid

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...and removing the lower part of the box like he's describing?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't use any of the lower "tower". You can cut the center out of the top lid and seal up the front,inside area to get a good seal around the filter lip and then just cut the center out of the top of your BMC or K&N. I even ran the bike with the bottom and the top open fully to the shape of the filter(oval)but I didn't seem to see any benefit in midrange. If you turn the filter upside down and open the center of the lid you should get the same effect and it will block off the bottom completely. If your concerned about hot engine air, raise the front of the gastank with some spacers or washers and try to get a better seal between the frame and the underside of the tank on the sides and this should help the incoming air from up top....Scott

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't argue with the reduced capacity, but us "fighters" lack a little capacity(mental) anyway...Scott

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't use any of the lower "tower". You can cut the center out of the top lid and seal up the front,inside area to get a good seal around the filter lip and then just cut the center out of the top of your BMC or K&N. I even ran the bike with the bottom and the top open fully to the shape of the filter(oval)but I didn't seem to see any benefit in midrange. If you turn the filter upside down and open the center of the lid you should get the same effect and it will block off the bottom completely. If your concerned about hot engine air, raise the front of the gastank with some spacers or washers and try to get a better seal between the frame and the underside of the tank on the sides and this should help the incoming air from up top....Scott
I live in LA, its hot here all the time so hot air is hot air right?
Scott any noticeable difference with the lower tower removed good or bad?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the lid on currently and no lower tower. took a little tweaking with the PCII but I think that it runs pretty good. I'm changing a few things this year and I think that I'm going to try and lower the bottom of the airbox so that it is under the crossbrace(I've got a extra one to crack open). Then I'll probably go back to the top feed and hole in the lid with the front of the tank raised and sides sealed. No dyno to back up anything... I had a chance to ride a friend's 2004 GSXR 1K and " it don't crack-up" on the bottom like a "hollerin' twin" with motocross bars...did pull harder up top but hey, it looks like all the other "clones". Your parts list looks a lot like mine...
most of my new changes are "top secret" Scott

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Look into getting or making some tube scoops like the speed triple to keep the ram on a naked fighter. Doesn't work out perfect on the TLS, but think about it and try to come up with some way to keep (and even improve) the cold air & ram.

On my old LTS I first cut open the connection between the upper and lower boxes as much as I could without bypassing the filter (and added a curved diverter to the bottom of the lower box).

But then I removed the stock filter and cut the connecton between the two boxes open entirely. Got some GOOP glue and bent and glued a very large flat-plate K&N inside the airbox instead. Also, where one of the side tubes connects to the airbox there's a crappy flat seal that's restricitve, so I plastic-welded an exterior flange w/ foam seal onto both and connect them with a bit of safety wire.

I didn't dyno, but I'm certain imporving the intake on a TLS makes a huge improvement.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The thought of a Harley or "RICER" style cold air intake hanging out one side of the bike has also bounced around in the back of my head once or several...maybe one of those "pointy" K&N's in chrome(will powdercoat black of course)....Scott

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Or Shape it like a P51 mustang Rad scoop :devious mounted sideways .I was toying with the Idea of coming up with a custom airbox and tank mounted beside each other . You could use up probably over half the space of the Stock Airbox position for the tank . Angled intake boots would go to the airbox off to the side. One benefit of this Idea would be that you could make the airbox as big as you want to and have one big honkin intake instead of two little ones . A polished Aluminum tank on one side and the Aluminum Matching Airbox on the the other with a scoop mounted on the side . Total fab job I know . A little mad maxish I guess but I do daydream ..

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
i recommend retaining the lid and the cooler air intake on the TLS.

:O

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts