TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Casual rider with a '99 TLS with 27k miles in Mass area.

1) I'd like to raise the handlebars so it's actually comfy to ride. It's my main complaint with the TLS. Kills my back after 30 min unless I put my tank bag right in front of my chest to rest on. Would love advice on where to get a lift kit and anything else I should replace while doing it.

2) Can I add ABS just to the front breaks? I have a 2nd bike ('17 Kawa Z650) and it's ABS has saved me a few times.

3) What mods can I do to lighten the TLS? Thing is HEAVY! I have upgraded suspension and yoshi full exhaust system with power commander. I'd love to shed 20-30lbs off it if possible. I'm thinking replacing the yoshi with a small, light exhaust. Replace battery with one of those new, light types. Not sure where else I can shed weight honestly.

Any other tips to improve comfort and handling, please let me know!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
A lithium battery will save you several kilos over the stock lead/acid item. Carbon cans should be worth another couple. Losing the rotary damper if it isn't already gone is worth a bit more both in terms of weight and ride-ability.
Hagon Shocks in the UK do a relatively cheap conventional damper unit for the TLS.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Ricky and snowy are spot on.

My lithium weighs basically nothing. And I have a set of stock rims in my garage and they are clunkers. Plus lighter rims help with handling.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The wheels can be a decent weight saving but that all usually comes at a fairly serious price.

Personally I've found its easier losing weight off the rider than the bike. Although if you'd seen me recently you'd know there is living proof of why dinosaurs shouldn't run.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
When I slim down to the size of an Elephant I'll prove you wrong. Currently somewhere between bronto and stego saurus. Working from home, sat in a chair in front of a computer for 12hrs a day takes its toll.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts