TLZone Forums banner

TLS 2000 exhaust headers - clean up!

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  stu_m 
#1 ·
Simple question I guess,

What metal are the standard header pipes made from, what finish was originally put on them?

The ones I have are a cross between black and rust, but no corrosion. They should clean up without a problem for starters!

Can they be painted, will it stay on, any recommendations - chrome plate?

Need to do something they just look a mess!

#2 ·
They are stainless.
I find a brillo pad.(wirewool oven cleaning pad with detergent) cleans mine up fairly well without damaging the paint.

#4 ·
Stock items are stainless. If you've got anything else then its aftermarket. Easy way to find out is take it off and weigh it since the usual alternative is titanium which obviously is a lot lighter.

If it IS stainless then abrasive polishing is one way to go to clean them up. Otherwise the are chemical methods involving either an acidic or base solution. The process is known as pickling or passivating. You can probably find a commercial place to do it for if you go down that route. Although it DIY is possible (you can buy the various chemicals off t'interweb) its not something to be taken on lightly. Vats of mixed acids at 100C are not ideal if there are kids around and base baths (usually a mixture of alcohol and sodium hydroxide) are downright nasty. That stuff can turn your flesh into soap in fairly short order.

Things like Duraglit will clean up stainless if its not too badly messed up. You need to be aware that scratches and pits on the surface can act as corrosion centres so you don't want to be too aggressive.

Cheers

Reactions: kennyTL-S
#8 ·
Thanks all, for the reply,

Got hold of some scotchbrite today so will give that a go!

Not quite sure about the headers I have, the bolt flanges are not there, they may have been cut off?
There is a number 02F02A stamped underneath on the exhaust about 8 inches away from where the flange should have been on my LH side pipe.

#10 ·
I fitted TLR headers .
also stainless steel.

But different angles and the front pipe runs closer to the engine.
You need to modify the oil cooler.

#13 ·
Can anyone check their exhaust part numbers I have found another one this time on top and the right hand pipe 02F02A.
Now I don't know if I have TLR or TLS headers if they both fit!

The scotchbrite has taken what seems to be surface rust off the pipes and they are black underneath, a bit patchy in places, is this a normal finish.
Stainless steel 316 does not normally rust but 304 does, even more confused what the material is........has a finish been applied to the pipes?

#15 ·
Thanks Stu_m,

That helps me out a lot......now what to do.......the black stuff is patchy..........but I think it will take me a month of Sundays to get it all off.

What is this black stuff and can it be put right so its the same all over? Dont mind black or stainless............ part black, stainless and rust just don't do it for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.