TLZone Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Well, I finally decided that it was a bit time consuming to convert my TLS about five times a year to a race bike and back to a street bike.
So it was time for a race bike. I ended up buying a 2nd TLS because it was cheap and because I already have a lot of parts.

1998 model, red, about 38000km, Ohlins rear damper otherwise stock. Good condition except for a leaking fork seal:

It soon looked like this:

Still a lot of work to do...
- complete suspension has to be rebuilt
- race fairings
- front brakes
- some more weight savings

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
i've just done the same thing. you've got a lot of work to do before you'll be happy riding that on the track! i decided to buy a track-ready bike to save me a lot of hassle

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Sweet, good choice.:thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Very nice:thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I understand you Rufer ... I'm tired to change bodyworks.... tyres.... forks everytime I have a track day....

Maybe will be the way to go for me too. Congrats and enjoy it:)

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
That's how I ended up with 2 TLS's aswell.

Got tired of taking off lights and swapping parts like you, so i bought an accident damaged one.

I then ended up racing full seasons and never did more than 200 miles a year on the road bike, and eventually sold it. Only I missed not having it and bought another to build a lighter "Special"

The problem now is I want the special to have the same trick parts as the race bike, and it kinda starts getting expensive.

Just thought I'd warn you of the perils of 2 TLS's :laugh

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I already feel that. Had an Ohlins steering damper before, need another one... it's a disease!

Greetings
Rufer

·
15,420 Posts
Yeah, I just bought another set of radial forks and calipers and a marchesini rear wheel for the sssa, not to mention the ohlins :banghead

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
You two should have bought a custom frame for your TLS race bikes and used the old frame to build a street bike with using engine/parts from a wrecked bike.

·
15,420 Posts
I thought that, but picked up a frame/swingarm/subframe for £150 delivered.

But after building up my TLR from just an engine/frame I realised it is much cheaper to buy a complete bike as a doner, other wise you spent a fortune buying all the little bits, expecially as winter is here and TLS/TLR's are selling for peanuts at the moment.:)

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can second that. Finally parts aren't THAT cheap, but sometimes whole bikes are (relatively).
And I thought a lot about a nice UNO frame. But it is a) very expensive and b) there are too much registration / customs issues, even for a race bike. Remember in Switzerland there are no race tracks, thus we have to cross the border for each track day. We aren't in EU, so each time we cross the border with a bike without registration that means a MAJOR paper hassle. So I decided to buy a bike that was registered and thus has papers -> no problems at customs.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
nice score rufer :thumbup I know excatlly how U feel :devious

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Good job Rufer.

That's one plan I never got around to doing. :bawlig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts