TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for my race bike. I've been looking everywhere for a reasonably cheap set of aftermarket headers to flange to a set of stock cans GSXR1000 onto. The idea is so that I can squeeze a bit more power out of my bike for next year with a motor build and I want an exhaust that will breath enough for it but I need the bike to be quiet for sound rules. I'm trying to expand my options a bit. Would a TLS full system be suitable?

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...the front bend of the TLS header won't fit unless you move your rads...on the TLS it goes out around the oil cooler...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid The TLR front header tucks in much more closely to the motor/starter - the TLS one sticks out further - closer to the front wheel. One guy here, I don't remember who, managed to mount a TLS system to his TLR and promptly melted a huge hole in his lower rad.......

FYI Akro's are advertised as being able to pass 103db sound tests I belive (of course the packing has to be somewhat fresh).

Yosh Zyclones are also a good bit quietier than most aftermarket systems.

good luck

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
TLS header will interfere with the TLR swingarm also. :coocoo

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
BikePilot said:
FYI Akro's are advertised as being able to pass 103db sound tests I belive (of course the packing has to be somewhat fresh).
there's no fecking way mine are that quiet! they aren't freshly packed but i can't imagineb it'd make that much difference

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
88 Db the way that we measure it is the max. Sometimes stock bikes are a bit over. I had an M4 sytem (sold! :banghead)and the quietest I could get it down to with a fresh repack and plus and other sound mods to the bike was 92. Thanks for clearing that up......I'll stay away from the TLS systems. :D

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
I dont think my mazda pickup can pass 88db:dowhat

What about wider pipes and maybe stock cans. What was the deal with the 2in pipe or something?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TLstreak said:
I dont think my mazda pickup can pass 88db:dowhat

What about wider pipes and maybe stock cans. What was the deal with the 2in pipe or something?
That's exactly what I want to do. I'm going to try to use the wide aftermarket pipes with a set of stock cans. I'd rather stick with the dual pipes. Believe it or not, with those cheap stock cans they're about the most effective, and least expensive, frame sliders on the bike.

·
Registered
328 Posts
What are the rules gonna be for next year. I was thinkin of running a pair of supertrapps at 2 1/4. Making my own header.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
yoshi have just brought out a new type of muffler that is supposed to be quieter that the zyclone baffle but produce more power... Or so i'm led to believe. Might be worth cheaking out

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gixxer160 said:
What are the rules gonna be for next year. I was thinkin of running a pair of supertrapps at 2 1/4. Making my own header.

I'm going to mention it at the exec meeting today. As long as it wouldn't mean any changes in your current sound level I don't see it being a problem. Unfortunately we'll never be rid of the sound nazis though. Ths is something that will come back to haunt us if we relax the rules now that nobody's complaining.

·
Registered
43 Posts
OldTLSDoug said:
TLS header will interfere with the TLR swingarm also. :coocoo
TLS Akrapovic Header fits fine on my TLS with a TLR swingarm. Assuming you are talking about topping out the swingarm and smacking the back cross-pipe, there is about 3/4" clearance. Not sure about on a TLR frame, but I can't see it being that much different...

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Swingarm will hit an S header on a TLR, that is why I had to swap out to make the SSE for my TLR. But it works fine on an S. About a half inch of swingarm would need to be ground off on a TLR.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
tornado said:
there's no fecking way mine are that quiet! they aren't freshly packed but i can't imagineb it'd make that much difference
IIRC that's what their website says. Don't know how they do the test though, perhaps its from a half mile away:lol

Packing can make a huge difference though.

have fun

·
Registered
43 Posts
OldTLSDoug said:
Swingarm will hit an S header on a TLR, that is why I had to swap out to make the SSE for my TLR. But it works fine on an S. About a half inch of swingarm would need to be ground off on a TLR.
Just curious - is the stock back cylinder header pipe (short piece right off the head) on the R different? Or is the motor is tilted or positioned different relative to the swingarm axle compared to the S? I didn't realize there was that much of a difference, we're talking over an inch difference, when comparing a TLR and TLS (both with the TLR swingarm).

·
Registered
43 Posts
BikePilot said:
IIRC that's what their website says. Don't know how they do the test though, perhaps its from a half mile away:lol

Packing can make a huge difference though.

have fun
No doubt...

On my full Akrapovic S, 104-105 dB when measured 5 ft from the side and back.

·
Registered
166 Posts
SSE

OldTLSDoug said:
I have seen pic's of your TLR w/SSE and it looks great .:hail
would you tell me just what you had to do to mount it if the TLS SSE header did not fit. or , in other words, what did you "swap out":confused

1 - 17 of 17 Posts