TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TLR Wins :laugh :laugh
Ok, so the 4x4 was a Suzuki Grand Vitara and the competition was jumpstarting it but the TLR did it without so much as a blink.
Awesome bike! :hail :hail :hail

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
You jumpstarted a car with your bike? You should be careful. I know you shouldn't jumpstart a bike with a car that is running as the car puts out the same volts but higher amps I think...can fry your electronics. I'd think the same is true the other way around. But that's good on the TLR if it did it without getting fried and helping someone out. But something to think about in the future.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Using the bike to jump a car you should leave the bike engine off. Only because once the car starts it's alternator will bring the voltage up.

(The problem with the bike charging system is it's a permanent magnet set-up and the regulator shunts the excess away. When you have the bike hooked up to another running vehicle, there's the chance that the regulator on the bike will have to shunt 100% and it wont like that. The higher you load our charging system the more the regulator thanks you as it has less to shunt).

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The concern with jumping a bike from a running car is that the bike's reg will try to keep the voltage down to a certain point, which is often lower than that of a cage. Of courseit doesn't have a prayer of disapating the 120amps or so that a car alt puts out and can fry. In reality, its not too likely to be a problem because the difference between the voltage a car operates at and the bike's reg is set for isn't huge and the bike's dead battery will be soaking up a lot of current. Still, its best to jump a bike from a non-running cage (because then you know the cage voltage will be lower than the max the bike reg will allow and it won't be trying to shunt way more than it can handle.

I don't see a problem jumping a cage from a bike, other than that the bike might not have the amperage to do it. I would again do it with the bike not running just to protect the ecu from any voltage spikes that can occure from arcing current between the battery and cables....the bike's electrical output is so low its not enough to really make much difference in terms of being able to jump start the cage.....

have fun

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
The regulator wont have to shunt any of the cars amperage away, only it's own stator - but they still don't like dealing with 100% of the bikes stator current.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Well, I knew the gist of it....that it's bad. I knew some smarter people would show up with more concrete info to back that up. :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Steve TLS said:
The regulator wont have to shunt any of the cars amperage away, only it's own stator - but they still don't like dealing with 100% of the bikes stator current.
humm, I must not understand how the bike is wired:confused I thought that current applied to the bat cables would backfeed and be shunted by the reg....

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Nah, if that were the case, the regulator would drain the bike battery quick smart. Even with the key off, the regulator is always connected to the battery. Only out from the regulator on that side, nothing in. (Putting a bettery charger on the battery charges it, if the regulator did any shunting on the output side, the charger would never charge the battery as it would all be shunted).

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Oh that does make sense, should have thought of that (it draining the bat that is):blush

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Will keep that it mind in future. Basically, if my bike goes back to it's starting woes the way it did back when I bought it, I've fried the reg?
I was just impressed that it could though :)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
TB, chances are everything is fine. There is the possibility of blowing the regulator, but it's not guaranteed to blow. It just doesn't like it and you run the risk of hurting it.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
chraika1 said:
why cant you guys explain this in ENGLISH..?????? this is harder then chinese
When using something else to jump start your bike, make sure the something else isn't running.

When using your bike to jump start something else, make sure the bike isn't running.

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts