TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Righto,guys and gals.Two things.

First thing - I have a 2000 tlr1000 with Yoshi RS-3 cans,standard headers,TRE,stock everything else.I'm running 116rwhp.
Can anyone give me any idea how much difference a power commander and aftermarket air filter (k&n or similar) would make.I'm trying to find out if the benefits I would get justify the cost of the mods.:ytiller

Second thing - Lets turn this thread into a database of mods everyone has done to their engines versus the horsepower they ended up getting.Just list your mods with a final rwhp reading.

Should make for some interesting reading.:cheers

·
Registered
542 Posts
OK.. firstly do the airbox mod.. its easy..2nd sell your cans get a full system 3rd get a PC and have it dyno tuned and you will have a good 130rwhp and a good throttle and you'll be happy

·
Registered
435 Posts
wtf ive got all that but a full system and i only have 117 horse. will a full system help me that much?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Unless you get everone to dyno on the same dyno and same day, the idea of a database of mods vs hp isn't really going to be very meaningful imho.

That said, my TLS with pcII, Unifilter and full Akro Evo system and 20k miles dyno'd at 116rwhp uncorrected in a dyno room that was around 100°F, no ram air.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:stupid

I ran mine, full akro sys, pcII, k&n, tre, 1/5th throttle and approx 22k miles in a dyno room one day when the ambient temp was approx 65ºF with approx 50% humidity and got 121 rwhp
ran it on the SAME DYNO when the ambient temp was approx 94º and approx 85% humidity and approx 23k miles and got 114 rwhp

temp and humidity makes ALL the difference :yes

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
I ran on the same Dyno Josh did but one year later (similar conditions).

TLS: 114hp
Yosh full system, +5, +10, +5, Airbox modified, K&N, 520 conversion, TRE.

TLR: 120hp
Yosh 2-1, +5, +10, +5, Airbox modified, BMC Race, 520 conversion.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BikePilot said:
Unless you get everone to dyno on the same dyno and same day, the idea of a database of mods vs hp isn't really going to be very meaningful imho.

That said, my TLS with pcII, Unifilter and full Akro Evo system and 20k miles dyno'd at 116rwhp uncorrected in a dyno room that was around 100°F, no ram air.

I know this can't be a definitive HP vs mods guide because of dyno and temp discrepancies,but it will still be interesting and will definitely spark some debate.I don't intend this thread to be a chest beating exercise,just one to collect some interesting data.

If you've got the ambient conditions of your dyno run,then put them in.At least then,some rough comparisons can be made.:)

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
142 BHP and 86 Ft/lb Torque :devious

Doesn't come cheap I can tell you...........

100mm (+2mm) JE High Compression Pistons
Bored and Replated Barrels
Flowed Heads
Stainless Flat Head Valves
1040cc, 14:1 C/R, 0.9mm Squish
JHS Stage 2 Race Cams c/w vernier Cam Gears
Arrow Rods
Lightened and Balanced Crank
TLR Crank Cases
Lightened Flywheel
Removed Scissor Gears & Decompressors
Removed Main Clutch Side Scissor Gear
Pre Production 6 Spring Billet Clutch Basket and Centre
Barnett Clutch Springs
Full TLR M4 System
K&N Filter
Power Commander
No Flapper Valve and restriction removed in Airbox
Wrapped Headers
1/5 Turn Throttle Adjuster
Factory Pro Gear Shift Kit
Custom Fabricated Alloy Oil Breather/Seperator and Additional Vent from Front Cam Cover

·
Registered
3,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
smokin

OK.. firstly do the airbox mod.. its easy..2nd sell your cans get a full system 3rd get a PC and have it dyno tuned and you will have a good 130rwhp and a good throttle and you'll be happy
I think somebody's been smokin somethin, Air box mod, full system and a PowerCommander won't get you from 116 to 130. I'll bet you wind up around 124 "maybe".
I started from stock 3 years ago and watched what each change made to the RWHP and you aren't getting 16 HP out of just those mods.
Just from experience

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Riddick said:
I think somebody's been smokin somethin, Air box mod, full system and a PowerCommander won't get you from 116 to 130. I'll bet you wind up around 124 "maybe".
I started from stock 3 years ago and watched what each change made to the RWHP and you aren't getting 16 HP out of just those mods.
Just from experience

I dunno riddick.. I had mine done the same time as Posh johnny and Paul Haydock ,micron cans and k&n no pc II fitted at that time and got my 129 HP.Which ties in very closley with 2 other dyno printouts that were done years ago by the previous owners....:O

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
richara3 said:
I dunno riddick.. I had mine done the same time as Posh johnny and Paul Haydock ,micron cans and k&n no pc II fitted at that time and got my 129 HP.Which ties in very closley with 2 other dyno printouts that were done years ago by the previous owners....:O

:bs

I'm with riddick
I was at 116 BONE STOCK with 50 miles on the odo. 2500 miles later I have a full yosh, PCII with custom map and K&N filter, and was at 124. Theres no way you're getting 129 with bolt ons and a k&n and no PCII.
and I'm now at 26,000 miles, PCII, K&N, and full akro sys and I'm at about 122ish. I also ran it with the full sys in phoenix, with nice dry air....and more recently here in mass with yucky humid air.

to get 129 you need to do high comp and/or big bore and cams and a full sys at least...stock headers wont get you to 130rwhp

·
Registered
258 Posts
According to an online calculator If i can efficiently blow 5psi into the motor i'll get around the 160-170rwhp mark:laugh :laugh :laugh We've all heard the stories of yosh flexing cranks and breaking cases with less power though. Now was that because they revved to 11,500ish rpm? or was it the massive torque they produced? makes me wonder...

Anyhow, dyno measurements are best left for tuning, i'm personally more interested in the shape of the torque curve and the A/F ratios, and if joel saw 130hp with those mods we don't know what kind of correction was applied by the operator, .....so hard to speculate either way i'd say. (maybe he had 250km/h fan in front for ram air???:laugh )

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
With nothing but a set of ART bolt-ons and a slipping clutch, I mapped like 105 on a home made inertia dyno. :laugh

Now, there's a full D&D system on, +/- mod, I'll be modding my air box this winter and putting in a K&N filter. The bike will be taken to a dyno for remapping this spring and I believe I'll get a bit higher this time... :devious

·
Registered
118 Posts
external vrs internal

Only had my 97 TLS for 12 months approx but from what I can gather from reading extensively on this site and from what I have done to my own ride - not a lot (full yosh RS-3 sys, airbox mods- not the full monty-, K&N filter, no PC, ) have got 113.8 rwhp. Would think to get around 130rwhp you would need to do some internal mods, having said that I would agree with some of the previous reply's that atmospheric conditions at time of dyno test will make some minor discrepencies plus bike temp at time of test etc. At the end of the day whatever you do to your ride ain't nut'n sounds as good as a TL as it blasts past espescially (not sure how thats spelt) if its on the back wheel. Gotta love the TL.
Ride safely every one.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
mines bone stock :rolleyes and makes 130 hp :O

wanna race?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
my tls makes 150rwhpby my dyno(seat of my pants dyno)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts