TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I had an awesome Idea but I want your input to know weather this will work. I have a TLS and thought of putting the TLR Swingarm in, Does this mean I can then fit a rear mono shock or do I still have to have the spring on a stick??? Are there any other gains from this:confused

·
Registered
179 Posts
TLR has a SOAS as well, I thought you could get normal non rotary dampers for the TLS straight bolt in.....

I also think there are some who have fitted a TLR arm to a TLS - do a search.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
UKJEFF tls has a tlr swinging arm fitted. I think dave c fitted it when he owned it. Maybe PM him to find out.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
There's quite a few peeps that have done the mod. Usually the conversion means you move the damper flanges, and weld on another pair for the soas.
If you fit a bitubo, you only need the soas flanges. :devious

I guess the only advantage to this, apart from the moddin satisfaction itself, is a stronger swingarm with less flex. The TLR swingarm uses stronger ball bearings too.

Do a few searches, I'm sure you'll find a lot of it. Check the Frequent TL mods section too.

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Unless you're working on a new suspension set up you'll need to have all of the suspension mounting tabs removed from the TLR swing arm and have new tabs welded in the correct location. Somewhere in the UK is a nice little jig to get it all right the first time. Hopefully someone knows where it is.

Back from the welder...

Painted flat black...

Test fitting. You can see the exhaust mount that’s on the underside of the frame that needs to be removed.

Here you can see the crossover tube from the Yosh system that has been 'clearanced' to compensate for the lower bracing.

Works for me...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yep, Amigo is yer man for the lugs.
It's an easy mod if you have access to a good welder.
One word of warning: the standard headers won't fit. You'll need a full yosh system or similar.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
ooooooooo....... where are you again Fragle :O

I have an R arm in my S (you can see a pic in "the garage" at the top of the page), and made up a little jiggy thing to reposition the mounting lugs - not sure where it is now though :confused I think Chats or DaveC had it last ............ do a search for "jiggy thing" or PM Dave ?

I have a set of Yosh headers on mine, so had no exhaust problems, and other than that (and the lugs/welding) its a straightforward fit :)

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
i have the jig. . got it from chats. . i'm sure he wont mind if i post it to a fellow zone member. . . if you do have standard headers. you will have to but a section out of the casting. it's easy to cut though. i used a hacksaw, then had a gusset made and welded in place to fill the hole. the bloke the did mine welded the new lugs in place too. a top job. and didn't cost much either. i have a couple of pics if you need em. . . . :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ooooooooo....... where are you again Fragle? To answer TLmoose i'm down near Taunton, Would be cool if I could burrow the Jig I have a master plan to convert the rear end to run a mono shock heance the TLR swingarm, thanks for the pic I've had a look doesn't look to hard but will inlist the services of a good weleder!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
I'm just outside Exeter :) Been to a (Tuesday evening) meet at the Henlade lay-by a couple of times :dowhat ...... apparently they do runs from there Sunday mornings in the summer :confused

Gimme a shout and maybe we can meet up some time, I'm interested in your plans for the rear suspension ...... :devious

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey TLMoose I didn't know that anyone lived that close. That sounds cool For a meet up, I know that cafe well, Due to having my last TL Smahed in July and awaiting the Comp money I have tkane my new TL off the road and am doing the work this winter but i'm up for summer ride outs... Round that area there are some awesome roads but you need to go out and play early in the morning!!!!

If you wanna pop over to mine for a beer and mod deliberation your opinoin would be appricated

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have numerous sets of lugs in my desk drawer....:devious

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Amigo, feel like parting with any of those little lugs??

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
PM me your address.

·
Registered
918 Posts
i have the jig. . got it from chats. . i'm sure he wont mind if i post it to a fellow zone member. . . if you do have standard headers. you will have to but a section out of the casting. it's easy to cut though. i used a hacksaw, then had a gusset made and welded in place to fill the hole. the bloke the did mine welded the new lugs in place too. a top job. and didn't cost much either. i have a couple of pics if you need em. . . . :)
I'd like to see your end result Jag. PM the pics.
Col

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I'd like to see your end result Jag. PM the pics.
Col
flippin pc has given up.....having to use mobile....will try to get it going tomorrow if i have time...if not it'll be a week or so...gran can here i come:)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a TLR swingarm in my garage if you don't have one yet.
Yours for £50 and if your in Taunton I'll drop it down to you.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts