TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got inspired by Steve TLS's Website. (Great site by the way!)

http://wotid.com/tls/content/view/40/60/

Anyway, I am going to follow those guidelines and rebuild/mod my damper. I will follow up with pictures and a full write up.

I'm curious about which oil to put in.

My local motorcycle shop carries 5W as the lightest fork oil.

I've been to the scotts performace webpage and they give instruction on how to rebuild a scotts rotary damper.

http://www.scottsperformance.com/literature/serviceinstructions.pdf

They call for Bel-ray HVi light or 3w / Spectro Very light / PJ1 2.5wt

Should I seek out lighter oil or go with 5W?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Unless you have access to a shock dyno and can successfully revalve it at the same time, it will come down to personal preference. I tried filling a couple of dampers with lighter oil (2.5wt Bel-Ray) to compensate for the large amount of wiping seal friction, but it still wasn't "good." It seemed to make the range of adjustment slightly wider with the bored out valves and polished internal swept surfaces, but there was still hyrdo-lock on any sharp bump. I did use 5wt and 15wt just for fun, but the 2.5 definitely felt the best. Then I bought aftermarket.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
In my personal opinion that's a waste of time. My suspension whiz tried it back in 97/98 and told me there was some improvement but you can never eliminate the worst problems - unless you change the damper.
If you have the tools and time, OK. If you don't, save for a Bitubo.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
BTW it looks like a pretty bad mod to me
CC,

I always love your thoughts on things...
I changed (and lowered the weight of) the oil in my oem damper. The new motion seems very smooth but I've never run it. I'm running in the stock config...

97s pre recall set-up :devious

I've only had one tank slapper... and I immediately wished I had my damper on...

·
Registered
760 Posts
CC,

I always love your thoughts on things...
I changed (and lowered the weight of) the oil in my oem damper. The new motion seems very smooth but I've never run it. I'm running in the stock config...

97s pre recall set-up :devious

I've only had one tank slapper... and I immediately wished I had my damper on...
RFX ... you talkin' bout your steering damper?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts